Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Starting last Friday, Paul Tierney has been attempting to break the record for completing all 214 Wainrights in the Lake District. The current record is 6days and 13 hours, and it looks like he should be finishing around 3pm today which will knock about 6hrs off the record. I've been dropping in and out of watching the tracker this week just to see if it has still been moving each morning:

http://live.opentracking.co.uk/pault19/#

https://www.inov-8.com/blog/paultierneywainwright/

Only 6 peaks left to go before getting back to Keswick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Incredible stuff. Previous record holder was Joss Naylor who set the record in 1987 before it was broken in 2014 by Steve Birkinshaw.

There’s not many people who have a record that was previously held by the legendary Joss.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

All downhill now and just a scramble down Catbells to go. They were predicting between 2:30pm and 3pm finish earlier, even considering the knackered legs I think he should be done well within an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Running the length of the Royal Canal has been registered on FKT and is being attempted today to get the 1st recorded time. Starting at midnight last night. They've been running for 9 hours now. Follow updates here: https://twitter.com/royalcanalrunn1

Lovely weather for it on the longest day of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence: The 3,100-mile race around a New York block

https://www.bbc.com/sport/48702452

Is there anything that someone can't come up with for an idea of a race

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

SeeMoreBut wrote: »

Loved this quote about trying to fit enough calories each day during the race :D

"Aalto remembers running along while eating a packet of crisps and a passer-by shouting: 'You've got to be kidding me.' "He thought I was just out for a jog," he says."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Strange comment. That race has been going on for well over 20 years. Admittedly, it's a very strange race as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Strange comment. That race has been going on for well over 20 years. Admittedly, it's a very strange race as well!

One for you next year. We all know you like a challenge

One for you next year. We all know you like a challenge

If someone kept my wages going for 2 months while I'm off to NY ....

Honestly, I have no idea how anyone can afford doing that race financially, never mind running yourself into the ground for 2 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Enduro seems to be going well at the 24 hour race in Belfast. Unfortunately, OhsoSlow had a bad day with stomach issues and was forced to abandon.

• Advertisement

And the extremely rarely spotted 'Carta' in 3rd spot. Hold on for a podium now, fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Itziger wrote: »
    Enduro seems to be going well at the 24 hour race in Belfast. Unfortunately, OhsoSlow had a bad day with stomach issues and was forced to abandon.

Gutted for Ososlo/Ultrawoman. Enduro is about to take over from Aidan Hogan it looks like. 1 lap in it 45 mins ago according to Facebook. Paula Wright has run an incredible race. Steady pacing throughout and has gone from a position in the 60s to 4th and 1st lady now. Been amazing to watch her splits.

Congratulations to Enduro! Took the lead in the last hour, sign of a perfectly executed race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Paula Wright has run an incredible race. Steady pacing throughout and has gone from a position in the 60s to 4th and 1st lady now. Been amazing to watch her splits.

Remember pacing her for a sub 60 minute in a local 10K a few years ago. Now she can come close to holding that pace for 24 hours. I hope she is still on an upward curve as she was already selected for Finland in next years World Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Congratulations to Enduro! Took the lead in the last hour, sign of a perfectly executed race!

Amazing to watch the top runners keep clocking up the steady laps - making it look effortless.

Some tussle at the top of the leader board. Congratulations again to Enduro on a perfectly judged race!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

Thanks All!
    That was a cracking race. A real humdinger. Report will be written ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sutrra

Tnx for the suggestions. Didn't sleep for the duration of the race, was trying to keep everything simple and efficient. When i started to hear myself pounding to hard on the pavement decided to start to walk and finished on 101 miles. It was a delight so see some of the elites and masters in the running community to make it look so smooth and perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Apollo furycreed

Enduro wrote: »
    Thanks All!
    That was a cracking race. A real humdinger. Report will be written ASAP.

Can't wait for this report

I know that is too soon, but are there any hints where will be next year 24hour Irish Championsip?

• Advertisement

sutrra wrote: »
    I know that is too soon, but are there any hints where will be next year 24hour Irish Championsip?

There will still be a 24 hrs race in Belfast next year but if it's going to be the Irish championship race I don't know

There will still be a 24 hrs race in Belfast next year but if it's going to be the Irish championship race I don't know
    Probably i missed something about the 10th&final energia24 #neveragain ☺️

sutrra wrote: »
    Probably i missed something about the 10th&final energia24 #neveragain ☺️

Did find out now that atlas running is taking the race.

Apparently, Zack Bitter has just broken the 100 mile record.

11:19:18 for 100 miles.

That's 6:48 pace - faster than a sub-3 marathon!

https://twitter.com/iRunFar/status/1165436766632890368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Gavin Byrne currently 73rd position in the UTMB TDS race, about to start a beast of a climb at the 50k mark !

https://utmb.livetrail.net/coureur.php?rech=6364

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

grahamor wrote: »
    Gavin Byrne currently 73rd position in the UTMB TDS race, about to start a beast of a climb at the 50k mark !

https://utmb.livetrail.net/coureur.php?rech=6364

Up to 53rd now and looked fresh through Cormet de Roselend. Hope he can keep the pressure on.

Another Irish lad, Lonan O Farrell going well in 130th place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Neady83 wrote: »
    Up to 53rd now and looked fresh through Cormet de Roselend. Hope he can keep the pressure on.

Another Irish lad, Lonan O Farrell going well in 130th place.

Very impressive, such a tough course, especially with the extra 36k added this year !

Weather is perfect here in Chamonix. The lads in the TDS have luck on their side. Gavin is tracking very nicely. In the low 40s now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Weather is perfect here in Chamonix. The lads in the TDS have luck on their side. Gavin is tracking very nicely. In the low 40s now.

Gavin looks to have had a great race. 31st. Improved his position as the event went on. Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Nicola Duncan 26th F in the OCC ('just' 56km and lots of ascent). It's a big pool of runners so 26F is pretty good. Also Eoin Lennon 45th overall in the same race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Congratulations, Enduro, on a podium for really old fellas at UTMB.

How did the whole race go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Itziger wrote: »
    Congratulations, Enduro, on a podium for really old fellas at UTMB.

How did the whole race go?

Ditto, huge congrats Eoin. It was some race - delighted to see you on the podium.

I hope there will be a race report.

Thanks! Yes, I'm intending to write a race report alright. The race went pretty well, to say the least. There was a huge amount of attrition out there, yet again.

What a week though. Amazing amazing atmosphere out there. Interestingly enough, every male Wicklow Round record holder was out there racing one of the races, but unfortunately we were never all in the one place at the same time... that would have made for a great meet-up! Good to see so many of the Irish finishing their races. Lots of finishers' gilets on the the plane home (and one cow bell!).

Looking for reccomandations for shoes. Thinking for having A races as Wicklow Way Race, 100 miles of Istra and Kerry Way Ultra. Searching for a widebox shoe, with great durability, nice grip and that the tongue is not killing the ankle. Thinking for a Inov8 295G, la sportiva raptors/mutants and hoka one one speedgoat 3. And is there a place in Dublin where is possible to try them. And if you have some other reccomandations for a shoe for all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

http://www.spartathlon.gr/el/live-data-el.html

Currently a Boardsie in the top 10 in the shape of ArtieFufkin. The contrary race director of the Donadea 50k is more than holding his own also.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

OOnegative wrote: »
    http://www.spartathlon.gr/el/live-data-el.html

Currently a Boardsie in the top 10 in the shape of ArtieFufkin. The contrary race director of the Donadea 50k is more than holding his own also.

Up to 6th place at CP 52 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Wow, 4th place finish for Artiefufkin! Heroic effort.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

4th place for ArtieFufkin, unfortunately looks like Mr Donadea 50k is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

• Advertisement

Enduro leading the UTMB Oman 170K race after around 130K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

And we have a winner!!!!!!!!

Congrats Enduro, another fantastic result.... Amazing:):)

His name is spelt Owen but why pronounced Ian......

Spelt Eoin

Those who know him, know :)

Thanks all.

That was a big resut for me. I wasn't expecting to win that. Jeeze... winning a UTMB franchise race. It's definitely right up there as one of my best ever results. A great race too, in every sense. This race is way way harder than the UTMB itself. I'll try to spell it all out in the race report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Thanks all.

That was a big resut for me. I wasn't expecting to win that. Jeeze... winning a UTMB franchise race. It's definitely right up there as one of my best ever results. A great race too, in every sense. This race is way way harder than the UTMB itself. I'll try to spell it all out in the race report.

Wel done it is a fantastic result :) I was only listening to you on the No finish line podcast this week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

https://results.chronolog.gr/row/81a2c3c2060f153556b1601138d80aee.html?fbclid=IwAR0kd3Pna58zypJJ4Vz-5YpLUYU5YoIegOtLBnClfN8vTycVlGyyAjGZguc

Great performance by Aoife Munroe at the moment in Athens 24 hrs race...5hrs to go and at circa 200kms...ccud be a new Irish wimmins record(232) and win the full race, fair few experienced 24hr men in it aswell

Advertisement