Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewatching all seasons before Season 8 arrives...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    seen a link there's 20 key episodes they recommend you watch with the key plot points,

will try find it again and post

Just watch the alt-shift-x channel on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Hmmm, can I do 7 seasons in 5 weeks... lets try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Kunkka wrote: »

Easily!!

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I wonder just how much did Sean Bean know about the truth of Jon Snow's origins when acting out the scene where he and Robert discuss the mother or when he says goodbye to Jon as the latter heads to the wall. I get a sense of a man holding back big secrets whenever I watch those scenes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, been doing this for a while. Nearly done with season 5; as with the books, all kinds of details jumping out at me [and I am over thinking the meaning of things!!]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Started season 5 as part of my re-watch last night, been meaning to re-read the books also for ages now but I think I will wait till after season 8, hopefully TWOW will have a release date soon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Started back on Season 1 last Wednesday. On to season 2.

Love the foreshadowing.
    Littlefinger holding a knife to Ed Stark's throat in the Great Hall of King's Landing being my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I forgot Daario Naharis was played by a different actor in Season 3.

bazermc wrote: »
    I forgot Daario Naharis was played by a different actor in Season 3.

The original guy had a great look and a great arrogance, but the current guy is a far better actor - though maybe a bit too likeable to be Daario (compared to book Daario).

I have 'The Mountain And The Viper' up next tonight in my rewatch...:(

That scene between Oberyn and Tyrion from the preceding episode..."I will be your champion"....one of the best scenes in the show for me.

Anyway...

Later seasons may have veered a bit, but it's an absolutely brilliant show. The pilot episode is one of the best out of all my favourite shows, it just sets the show up and introduces the characters perfectly.

Interesting that it wasn't until last season that the fanbase started giving out about 'fast travel'...In the very first episode of the show, King Robert and his entourage got from Kings Landing to Winterfell in what seemed like no time at all. Yes, Robert said the journey took them a month, but that really doesn't come across with the aesthetics of the episode. I've no major problems with the fast travel myself, just pointing out that it's been there from the very start.

I think out of the 4 seasons I've (almost) rewatched so far, season 2 is the weakest for me. Still good, but pales in comparison to the quality of 1, 3 and 4. I do love the scenes between Arya and Tywin though.

Tywin Lannister was such a great character and was played to perfection by Charles Dance. I didn't realise it at the time of watching the show as it aired - I was just delighted to see Tyrion get some payback - but the show definitely suffered on some level once Tywin had to leave the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Just finished Hardhome, what an episode. Definitely in the top 5.
    However, that episode alone couldn't save season 5 being the worst GOT season in my opinion.
    Such a depressing dark season.

CiaranW wrote: »
    Just finished Hardhome, what an episode. Definitely in the top 5.
    However, that episode alone couldn't save season 5 being the worst GOT season in my opinion.
    Such a depressing dark season.

Not looking forward to it I must say. The thoughts of the Sand Snakes and the 'bad poosy' frown.png

....... wrote: »
    The original guy had a great look and a great arrogance, but the current guy is a far better actor - though maybe a bit too likeable to be Daario (compared to book Daario).

I actually thought the original Daario was very flat on screen. I understand that the actor played the villain in Deadpool, and he definitely was made for the screen in that movie, but having only recently watched the episodes with original Daario, I think it was a great change in the show.

That was one great change, however the casting changes with The Mountain were a complete joke and are unfortunately distracting upon a rewatch. Yes, the final Mountain is perfect, but the fact there were 2 different actors playing him beforehand was messy.

Whatever about the Mountain in season 1, that guy was scary. Season 2 however in Harrenhall, he was more like an envoy/consultant from the Middle East than the feckin Mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

They are so so so bad!
    What they did with Areo Hotah as well was such a waste too.

Shireen :(:(:(

CiaranW wrote: »
    They are so so so bad!
    What they did with Areo Hotah as well was such a waste too.

Shireen :(:(:(

I even forgot all about Areo Hotah, is right...plus they got Alexander Siddig (great actor) to play Doran, and gave him about 5 minutes of screen time. I think of that battle between the Sand Snakes and Jaime/Bronn in Dorne - Even though I haven't seen it in years, I still remember the cheap Xena/Sky One 90s fantasy aesthetic, plus the series' worst fight choreography.

Shireen is Season 5 too?! I thought it was 6, cheers for the spoilers man :D:D

I also thought they wasted Ian McShane - he was just used to facilitate the exposition about how the Hound recovered and then continued on his journey.

Same for Richard E Grant. Would like to have seen more screen time - Alexander Siddig was a total waste too.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Originally Posted by Kunkka View Post

2 episodes a day between now and the start of the new season...easy
    Start the new season up to date

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finished Season 5 last night. They really started to go off the rails once they finished the material covered in the books. So many tedious episodes with 5 minutes of great action.

I actually thought the original Daario was very flat on screen. I understand that the actor played the villain in Deadpool, and he definitely was made for the screen in that movie, but having only recently watched the episodes with original Daario, I think it was a great change in the show.

That was one great change, however the casting changes with The Mountain were a complete joke and are unfortunately distracting upon a rewatch. Yes, the final Mountain is perfect, but the fact there were 2 different actors playing him beforehand was messy.

Whatever about the Mountain in season 1, that guy was scary. Season 2 however in Harrenhall, he was more like an envoy/consultant from the Middle East than the feckin Mountain.

I'm just at Harrenhall on the rewatch now and I have to agree.
    The first actor playing The Mountain looked the part (obviously the current Mountain does too and perhaps even more so) but the placeholder fella was in no way threatening. They may as well have given the role to Stephen Merchant.

I'm ok with big name actors fleeting in and out, McShane was perfect in the sense he had a scene stealing role, came in, had the impact required and moved on again. No qualms there.

The Dorne scenes were awful though I was delighted Euron Greyjoy destroyed them in the end.
    Still the worse part of it all was Ed Sheeran, they could have left him in the background with a fleeting glance like yer man from Coldplay and Sigur Ros.
    That came across too much like "guest star this week" on something like The Simpsons.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Still the worse part of it all was Ed Sheeran, they could have left him in the background with a fleeting glance like yer man from Coldplay and Sigur Ros.

Oh god - Id repressed that memory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Sleepy wrote: »
    Finished Season 5 last night. They really started to go off the rails once they finished the material covered in the books. So many tedious episodes with 5 minutes of great action.

I think season 5 is still from the books, but the quality does drop.

I think the Arya , Daenerys and Tyrion parts of Season 5 are fairly poor.

John Snow and Ramsey really carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Parts of it are but most of it has diverged wildly from the source material.

GS11 wrote: »

John Snow and Ramsey really carry it.

I know we're supposed to hate Ramsay but I think he is a really great character and your man does excellent job of portraying him

I know we're supposed to hate Ramsay but I think he is a really great character and your man does excellent job of portraying him

Personally I found him a bit to pantomimey and one of the few characters on GoT that doesnt have that much complexity to their character. He is basically just bad to the bone.

Hodor and the Mountain also have pure characters, in that there is little complexity, but I dont mind them so much.

With Ramsey I feel he would have benefited from showing some remorse or some connection to someone rather than just "smug evil Ramsey".

Pretty much everyone else on the show has good and bad in them, even the honorable Ned Stark was lying to Jon Snow his whole life.

Just watched the Battle of Blackwater bay last night, briliiant episode. From Stannis' one line follow me, to Tyrion's speech and then Theon's.
    Brilliant acting from The Hound too, I forgot there was an "out" there for Sansa but she didn't trust him to take it.
    Sansa's face when Margery Tyrell was announced as the next Queen in waiting, the little laugh and smile as she was walking off.

....... wrote: »
    Personally I found him a bit to pantomimey and one of the few characters on GoT that doesnt have that much complexity to their character. He is basically just bad to the bone.

Hodor and the Mountain also have pure characters, in that there is little complexity, but I dont mind them so much.

With Ramsey I feel he would have benefited from showing some remorse or some connection to someone rather than just "smug evil Ramsey".

Pretty much everyone else on the show has good and bad in them, even the honorable Ned Stark was lying to Jon Snow his whole life.

Watched the episode where Miranda dies last night and he seemed genuinely upset about it like he really did love her, well up until he said feed her to the hounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I'm up to episode 1, season 7... and I'm sad that I'm here already...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's only when you rewatch them that there's a colossal shift in quality in the last season in particular. Everything was rushed and entirely surface level, with virtually none of the personal/political complexity that made earlier seasons so incredibly captivating.

Still entertaining as hell, but a poor man's Game of Thrones I felt. I hope they have the stones to make a bold last season full of the twists and turns, intrigue and betrayal...and just....utter unpredictable mayhem that made the show so engaging.

I'm just afraid after S7, they'll go down the road of a big, loud, brash 'Return of the King' type scenario which wraps everything in a neat and predictable bow where the bad guys all get their comeuppance and the line between good/bad is purely black and white, and characters on all sides are just a shadow of their former complex selves throughout seasons 1 through 5.

It's fine entertainment, but it's not Game of Thrones, and it's why S6 was such a let down to me.

Just up to the Battle of the B***ards episode! Wow, those battle scenes were harrowing, and then Ramsey after,meeting his end by his hounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Currently on Season 2 Episode 10!

Average of 1.7 episodes per day. Really hope we can do it.

Might need to get a babysitter some Saturday or Sunday and binge watch a season or 2 :D

Advertisement