Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone regret reading a book?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

"Go Set a Watchman" by Harper Lee. Poor, poor Jem. It felt like I had lost a real friend when I read that. I wish I could get it erased from my memory.

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Just relentlessly grim.
    No chapters in the road aswell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Genuinely never read a book in my life. I've tried, but never succeeded. I prefer them moving books

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's a great book...

There was some good satire, but my overwhelming thought afterwards was just "why?" I was also hoping for a bit of a story but it was essentially a collection of loosely collected chapters. And I know this makes me sound like a philistine!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I regretted reading Filth by Ervine Welsh. It left me with imagery I didn't.need in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

The Time Traveller’s Wife with its horrible miscarriage scenes

The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer when I was 13. Anne Frank’s was more uplifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

antodeco wrote: »
    I prefer them moving books

Pop Ups

I like them also.

But they insist on putting them in the children's section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"Gallows Thief" by Bernard Cornwell. Not the book in its entirety just the beginning which contains a horrific description of a public hanging. Gave me nightmares for a week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Day Lewin wrote: »
    "That they may face the rising sun" by John Mc Gahern. Don't read it, it's dreadful.

Haven't read it in years but I enjoyed it.
    American Psycho. Sadistic as f*ck and not quite as clever as it thinks it is.

Yeah, I loved the film but couldn't finish the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mariaalice wrote: »
    The bible is a very interesting book full of allegory and myth.

A lot of it is a very long list of ‘begats’. Much of the rest is contradiction.

The useful bit could have been a pamphlet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Muckka wrote: »
    Anything by Deepak Chopra

Sound like someone need to get their Chakras aligned with their epigenetic quantum consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 by_the_book

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I had read Gone Girl and Dark Places and liked them but this was just horrible.

Lurid descriptions of self mutilation and a creepy creepy mother-daughter relationship. Just ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

"Peig" never again.
    Noooooo! Please, don't mention that 'book'. Who da fug thought that tripe would be a good language teaching tool?

'Jude the Obscure' is the one book I truly regretted reading. That ending. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. I had read Gone Girl and Dark Places and liked them but this was just horrible.

Lurid descriptions of self mutilation and a creepy creepy mother-daughter relationship. Just ugh

I thought Gone girl was quite a nasty book a lot of projectionism going on by the author I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Something that makes me sound clever.

I regret reading it for a reason that makes me sound more clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

Was initially absorbed by the premise and the setting. Over a thousand pages later and the whole thing was poorly written with predictable plot and paper thin characters.

May have to revise my rule of always seeing a book out to the end for tomes >1000 pages in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I have to disagree with those who dismiss Atlas Shrugged - yes it's heavy going and contradictory, but worth it in the end in my opinion, and I think, like A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Leviathan, and The Theory of Justice (and abou 10 other books I could name), it's a book that helps you get a more rounded understanding of differing political philosophies.

As a father, I found The Road extremely depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Born in Blood by John J Robinson. Not because its a bad book, it's a fascinating read, but it sent me down a freemasonic conspiracy rabbithole I've been unable to shake now for years. Robinson makes the case the Freemason brotherhood is the legacy of the Knights Templar's who were exterminated at the stake by the then King of France and the Pope back in the 14th century. Claims the English peasant revolt of 1381 was organised by the Templar descendants who went underground, then set up Freemasonry guilds later and attracted revolutionaries such as Washington and Houston in America, Jaurez in Mexico, Garibaldi in Italy and Bolivar in South America. All of them generals hell bent on revolution. Read it or don't but if ya do could end up like me now stuck down an occult conspiracy rabbit hole with no light at either end of the hoor

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

Was initially absorbed by the premise and the setting. Over a thousand pages later and the whole thing was poorly written with predictable plot and paper thin characters.

May have to revise my rule of always seeing a book out to the end for tomes >1000 pages in the future.

I really liked Pillars of The Earth!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not really. There's been many I didn't really enjoy or others I didn't think were much good, but I can't honestly say I've regretted reading them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is a disturbing book as the well the bit about not telling the guards that someone had died because they would get their bread.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Not because it was dreadful but because it was disturbing, toying with reading If This Is a Man Survival in Auschwitz) is a memoir by Italian Jewish writer Primo Levi.

Rainbow six/ most of books wtitten by tom clancy. Book isnt bad but he’d go 50 pages describing an aircraft’s fuel intake system instead of moving the plot.

New gun? 10 pages describing its tactical advantage over other guns
    New tank? 10 pages describing its HEAT shells and optical targeting system

Etc
    Etc

Feels like a book for device fetishists

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I’ve been reading a book on antigravity. It’s so good I can’t put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There is humor in it. And it will your improve your knowledge of 80's
    pop music. And men's fashions.

..and business cards

• Registered Users Posts: 51,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Strumpet City was long and boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

How do you know a book is crap until you read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich is a disturbing book as the well the bit about not telling the guards that someone had died because they would get their bread.

Is that based on a day in a stalinist labour camp.

"If this is a man" is worth the read..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I thought Gone girl was quite a nasty book a lot of protectionism going on by the author I would think.

I've just finished Gone Girl and found the ending very unsatisfying and just implausible.

• Advertisement

Is that based on a day in a stalinist labour camp.

Yes. Probably the greatest cure for Marxism ever written.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement