Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Apple's Way.

I remember that. On RTE 2 in its early days. Saturday afternoons. Men From Shiloh was on around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Undergrads. An anarchic animation from MTV. Think I caught repeats on TG4 in early 00s.
    Similar show Downtown.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Some late 1980s \ early 1990s scripted series involving soccer.

The Manageress.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096647/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Playing for Real - a short lived series about a Scottish subbuteo team "Real Falkirk"
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0397004/

Born Kicking - a once off film about England's first female professional player.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103861/

Ha, I remember watching all those. Back in the day there wasn't much football on Television so you watched anything vaguely connected to it. Playing For Real was good fun.

I can't remember the name, think it was part of the Screen One series about two YTS trainees trying to make it with a first division club. Hazy memory of one of them getting injured, and one of them embracing born again christianity.

That one doesn't ring a bell, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

bobbyss wrote: »
    Daktari Daktari Daktira !!!

sorry you lost me there?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic'
    Can't even remember the name!!
    No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese.
    I would think plenty would remember it, and judging by your thanks plenty did

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Apple's Way.

Holmes and Yoyo.

Me and the chimp ( I always wanted a pet monkey after watching it.)

The Electric Company -like Sesame Street but less animation.

Jaysus, I'd forgotten about that.

I can't say I liked it, in fact I found those glassy eyed puppets kind of unsettling, but no one else of my own age seems to remember Bailebeag. There's no footage online just some stills.

bailebeag.jpg

bailebeag+window+from+schull.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

bubblypop wrote:
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic' Can't even remember the name!! No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese. I loved it so much when I was a kid! Late 70s or early 80s!

Jeez, everyone in my school loved Monkey!

A personal favourite was Gemini Man. Similar to the Invisible Man except the lead character (Sam something?) could control when he disappeared using his digital watch. But he could only stay invisible for 15 minutes or he'd die. Brilliant stuff!

I can't say I liked it, in fact I found those glassy eyed puppets kind of unsettling, but no one else of my own age seems to remember Bailebeag. There's no footage online just some stills.

bailebeag.jpg

I remember it! Quin with one n. Jim and David. Kings of stop-motion, early Irish animation, tongue-twisters etc.

I used that very image [Jimin and Sergeant Pat] for a mix of mine.

You might like it if you grew up in 70s/80s Ireland.
    https://www.mixcloud.com/nlgbbbblth/nil-se-anseo/

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Anyone remember saphirre and steel from the early 80's??

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

Brilliant. Assignment Two - set in the railway station with the ghosts of those who died "unfairly" has stayed with me since childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

sydthebeat wrote: »

That was some weird s#/+. The man with no face. Woah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_%26_Steel

They weren't human, I loved that their human form were just avatars of sorts. Once you started watching, the idea that each agent was an 'element'.. some with powers/a presence totally incompatible with being around life/humans..

Just, that series did otherwordly/'HP Lovecraft unease' so well. You could have the sh*t scared out of you without anything graphic being on screen.

Assignment 3 Episode 1 - unsettled me so much as a kid, specially the food/meat making noise, the red thing on the wall, why, I don't know..

302cjlv.jpg

YouTube is your friend...

These still hold up very well, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

Bucky O'Hare
    Ivanhoe
    Danger UXB
    The Clifton House Mystery
    The Phoenix &The Carpet
    Belle & Sebastian (the theme from this still makes me weepy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

washiskin wrote: »
    Bucky O'Hare

Captain Bucky O'Hare :D

I acquired that recently, nostalgia-ness.
    Think I still have some of the toys in a box somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

Exploitica Rides Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    Dusty’s Trail. It used to be on RTÉ on Saturday mornings. Used to love it.

"A stage and a wagon a-headin' west, part of a wagon train lost from the rest."

That brings back memories.

Others that stick in my head are "Children of the Stones" which was pretty scary for a kids' programme, and "The Feathered Serpent" which I think was about plotting and skulduggery in the Aztec Empire before Europeans arrived - also a kids programme.

Also, "Quiet as a Nun" a very frightening part of a series called "Armchair Thriller", the opening credits of which were scary enough in themselves, if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Does anyone remember Penpal on RTE?
    Might be from the 80s or early 90s.

Does anyone remember Penpal on RTE?
    Might be from the 80s or early 90s.

I don't recall that, what was the story with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Sir Dosser wrote: »

I LOVED that show. I even downloaded it there a few years ago to watch again. It doesn't hold up as well when watching it back :pac:

• Advertisement

Reilly Ace of Spies.
    An early 80s ITV miniseries starring Sam Neill as a spy in pre-World War 1 Europe, the story continues into the purges of the early days of the USSR.
    Based on the real like story of a Russian emigre who worked for British intelligence and pretended to be of Irish ancestry.
    Supporting roles filled by the likes of David Suchet, Leo McKern, Bill Nighy, Joanna Whalley, Ian Charleson, John Rhys-Davies, Alfred Molina.

Mentioning Leo McKern in previous post, I'm not sure how many people still remember Rumpole of the Bailey?
    I don't see it repeated on digital channels unlike say Minder.

A delightful show, the court cases were just a 'McGuffin' for Rumpole's observations of human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Mentioning Leo McKern in previous post, I'm not sure how many people still remember Rumpole of the Bailey?
    I don't see it repeated on digital channels unlike say Minder.

A delightful show, the court cases were just a 'McGuffin' for Rumpole's observations of human nature.

Ah yes, and 'she who must be obeyed', must see if there's anything Rumpole on YouTube! Not seen it since the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic'
    Can't even remember the name!!
    No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese. I loved it so much when I was a kid! Late 70s or early 80s!

Was that Sky in the company’s very early days?

Or was it the Super Channel with Captain Power?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

bailebeag.jpg

bailebeag+window+from+schull.jpg

I have a vague recollection of this but no idea what the stories used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Was that Sky in the company’s very early days?

Or was it the Super Channel with Captain Power?

Pretty sure Monkey was on TV in the pre sky (or BSkyB!) days!

Think it was the late 70s early 80s.

Never had Super channel, but I remember Monkey when I was in primary school.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

washiskin wrote: »
    The Phoenix &The Carpet

Holy moly :o
    I loved that show. I'd forgotten about it til now!

Also loved the Gemini Man with his oh-so-cool beepy digital watch :D

Blake's 7 was another favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

RTE had a short series back in the 80s RTE1 Monday night 8.00 called High Performance. I only remember it for Lisa Hartman starred in it. Only ran for a few episodes.
    Stunt driver and family (i think)gets hired by government to tackle difficult situations . Here's the theme tune.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Ah yes, and 'she who must be obeyed', must see if there's anything Rumpole on YouTube! Not seen it since the 80s.

The DVD set is generally found in sales although the original Play For Today, Confession Of Guilt has to be purchased separately. Great insight into the legal profession.
    Phyllida (Trant) Erskine-Brown was brilliant.

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    "A stage and a wagon a-headin' west, part of a wagon train lost from the rest."

That brings back memories.

Others that stick in my head are "Children of the Stones" which was pretty scary for a kids' programme, and "The Feathered Serpent" which I think was about plotting and skulduggery in the Aztec Empire before Europeans arrived - also a kids programme.

Also, "Quiet as a Nun" a very frightening part of a series called "Armchair Thriller", the opening credits of which were scary enough in themselves, if I remember correctly.

1970s children's television (particularly the ITV stuff) was much deeper and scarier than now. I saw Children Of The Stones on HTV. Teatime at my friend's house. Very powerful. The Feathered Serpent was enjoyable too.

Armchair Thriller was very effective; RTE showed it in the early 80s. Patsy Kensit was in Quiet As A Nun while my favourite stories were The Limbo Connection [convalescent home, sinister] and the downright nasty A Dog's Ransom.

Advertisement