Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bob Dylan & Neil Young, Kilkenny July 14th

• 13-12-2018 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Big news. Great to see these two on the same stage. Tickets on sale Monday 17th December.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Assume Dylan is on first?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I love both, but it based on listening to songs they sang 40 yers ago and more.

But I've avoided going to Dylan shows for years now for fear that it will tarnish my perception of their great works.

In other words I'm worried they'll be s**he.

Are they worth it at this stage?

Are these shows any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MrJangles

I love both, but it based on listening to songs they sang 40 yers ago and more.

But I've avoided going to Dylan shows for years now for fear that it will tarnish my perception of their great works.

In other words I'm worried they'll be s**he.

They're absolutely worth it.

Bob went through a period in the late 80s/early 90s and again from about 2006-2010, where his live shows weren't great. He just didn't seem to put much effort in, just barking out the lyrics and generally hiding behind the keys. But I've seen him quite a bit since 2010 and he's been fantastic - really focused and seems to be thoroughly enjoying playing. Neil is putting in great live performances these days too (apart from the RDS in 2013) - Cork in 2014 and the Point in 2016 were immense.

Obviously both are suited to indoor venues rather than a stadium, but you take what you can get - they're only playing London and Kilkenny together as they're doing separate tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Any word on ticket prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

This will be a lot of fathers' Christmas presents sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Thunder77

I'm on the fence on this show, Neil still has it and Promise of the Real are an amazing band, i have no doubt they will be amazing, i just fear Dylan will drag the show down as he lost it years ago
    Hopefully Neil will be the closing act

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Thunder77 wrote: »
    I'm on the fence on this show, Neil still has it and Promise of the Real are an amazing band, i have no doubt they will be amazing, i just fear Dylan will drag the show down as he lost it years ago
    Hopefully Neil will be the closing act

According to the Neil Young Archives, it will be Neil supporting !!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd go see it for Neil and Promise or the real again in a flash, if Bob tags along how bad can't be many more opportunities to see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MrJangles

s8n wrote: »
    According to the Neil Young Archives, it will be Neil supporting !!

I agree that it would suit better if Neil was on after Bob but screw it, I'm just happy we still get to see these guys play. With Bob at 77 and Neil at 73, it won't be for too much longer - enjoy it whatever way it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I stopped going to Dylan years ago and I went as far as the US to see him..

I wouldn’t go into the three arena now..

Last time I saw Neil was with crazy horse at the RDS and it was self indulgent ****e although he’s been class most other times and I’d expect a great show in Kilkenny.

It’s almost impossible to pass this one with both legends on the bill and Neil will be worth the price of the ticket alone..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Might go but won't buy a ticket til nearer the date as it's the height of the hurling season (same day as the 2019 AI hurling QFs) ya never knw Waterford could be back in the hunt

Feel it sell out initially with tickets appearing again in drips and drabs nearer the day

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭mgkelly

Was thinking of the London gig, but this is very appealing. Saw Neil Young at Malahide years ago. Momentous! Spine tingling. Went to see Bob Dylan at Thomond Park. More a case of "catch him before he cowps...." even back then. Wasn't bad, actually, though felt he didn't exactly bust his ass on the effort front. But expected that. So, anyone got experience of getting in/out of Nowlan Park? Ever been for gigs before? Will there be other support, do you think? One of the good thing about the BST last year was the load of support acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

mgkelly wrote: »
    Was thinking of the London gig, but this is very appealing. Saw Neil Young at Malahide years ago. Momentous! Spine tingling. Went to see Bob Dylan at Thomond Park. More a case of "catch him before he cowps...." even back then. Wasn't bad, actually, though felt he didn't exactly bust his ass on the effort front. But expected that. So, anyone got experience of getting in/out of Nowlan Park? Ever been for gigs before? Will there be other support, do you think? One of the good thing about the BST last year was the load of support acts.

Kilkenny city (well should be Kilkenny town ha) a small enough place but the stadium is next too the train station, mcdonagh junction shopping centre and short walk to the city centre. Can be quite crowded getting out but moves along pretty quick

Gates open at 4pm so prob 1/2 small acts before the 2 main ones

mgkelly wrote: »

I left Springsteen in Nowlan Park at the last song (10.45ish) and was home in Dublin at midnight.

As for Bob, I've been to every gig hes played here since 2003 and its hit and miss yeah. He will not come out with the shades and the afro and play Its all Over Now Baby Blue acoustic.

But you get gems like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭mrk75

It was ok for Bruce a few years ago, I thought. Outdoor gigs are always prone to a bit of wind carrying the sound away but I don't recall any issues although it was a lovely day, in fairness.

You might get a local band or two in support. Guess it depends how sales go initially but you'd imagine Dylan supported by Young or vice versa should be enough for most folk... :)

Should be good. But guaranteed you'll still have folk afterwards giving out about Dylan not talking to the audience and/or playing different versions of his tunes or Neil playing too many guitar solos and not enough acoustic stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Long time Neil Young fan. I've seen him 11 times over the years but the Kilkenny Hoteliers have already applied rip off prices for July 14th.
    Forget about it.

poundhound wrote: »
    Long time Neil Young fan. I've seen him 11 times over the years but the Kilkenny Hoteliers have already applied rip off prices for July 14th.
    Forget about it.

If theres a few of you a mini bus for the day is an option. A few 100 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Any chance Pearl Jam could be added to the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Don't think Bob and Neil would play support at this stage of their careers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No

McCartney and The Stones are the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭fafy

poundhound wrote: »
    Forget about it.

Booked a private hostel room, staying Saturday night only.
    I'd say there will be special trains back to Dublin, directly after the gig, and busses to everywhere, as there was for the two Springsteen gigs,
    so there are some alternatives to paying through the nose for acomadation.

I will be going for Neil, Bob has really dissapointed me the few times I have seen him. Neil never dissapoints me. Still releasing great albums.

I just wish we got some of the solo gigs he does regularly in the U.S., its been way too long since those amazing Vicar Street solo accoustic gigs, 2003 !

NY Presale starts in the morning 9am

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Any idea of ticket prices? It would almost be a crime if I didn't go! 40 mins away

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Any idea of ticket prices? It would almost be a crime if I didn't go! 40 mins away

The only mention of prices incould find was on thejournal.ie, where it said tickets from €76 which sounds very reasonable considering the lineup. Not that it matters to me, Neil is gold !

Would you not think, promoters would give us all the details, layouts, ticket options, when gigs are annoumced, it always seems to be a slow drip feed of info. Nothing on Aikens or TM websites or social media pages.

I am not expecting the front of stage section at a higher price though, Neil doesent do that at his gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

€76 wouldn't be bad at all. Neil is gold but I've seen him twice now and there's a few I want to see next, that I haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Yeah, the sectioning off areas such as diamond and gold circles is what made me give two fingers to the British summer time gig. A sure money grab charging those ridiculous prices! I'm sure Nowlan park will be all GA at least it was the last time Dylan played there in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

I bought 2 tickets to see Neil and Bob in Hyde park before they announced Kilkenny gig. Is there any way I can swap these?

Anyone ever do that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Urrrg, I swore I'd never see Dylan again after two very crap shows (first in Kilkenny as it happens).

But ... I love Neil.

Guess I'll have to suck it up! Roll on Monday.

• Advertisement

Secured Standing tickets on the NY presale, all smooth from presale point of view.

Information is very poor when buying. No seat map, prices start at €76 up to €181.(+tm fees)

I got pitch standing which was €100 and fees, so €106.85 per ticket. I have no issie with that price.

The seat selection page has the stand names in Irish, “Ardan Breathnach”,etc which i understood, but god help anyone who is coming from overseas to the gig, and apparently many are travelling from outside Ireland as its one of two gigs they are doing together.

Get yeere **** together Aikens, give us a map so we can understand better.

Advertisement