Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

bringing to court ex landlord

Options
  • 21-11-2018 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I'm planing to bring to court my ex landlord as he is renting the house were I used to live until he kicked me out because he was going to sell.
    does any one have any experince with this kind of situation? any legal advice
    beacuse of him I wil have to move again as my new landlord is going to sell himself .im very pissed off as everyone could imagine. :mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to go through https://www.rtb.ie/ first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Follow the process

Don't be wasting money on solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭dccaresuckers

I'm going to speak first with threshold. i was there when my termination notice was isued and they told me to follow up the case and then they will help me with the legal procedures and they would help me to brig this into court.
    Do you think they will help me with the cost of the process? they may offer this services
    of ccourse i will bring this to prtb, but i assume I wont get anything for doing it. landlord may be fined and thats it.
    I will have to move for 2 years in a row when I have been a good tenant.
    a binding contact is a binding contract, i f you dont sell you should response for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

All disputes regarding tenancies have to go through RTB. You can apply to the court for enforcement of an RTB order but you can’t go straight to court without going through RTB first.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

All disputes regarding tenancies have to go through RTB. You can apply to the court for enforcement of an RTB order but you can’t go straight to court without going through RTB first.
    You can if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

4ensic15 wrote: »
    You can if you want.

Section 182 (1) of Residential Tenancies Act 2004 disagrees.

Section 182 (1) of Residential Tenancies Act 2004 disagrees.

No it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

You need to go through proper channels first. First line is RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You can if you want.

Yes, from experience. Nothing to stop you. RTB is one means to enforce laws, court is another. There is no conflict of interests. Just costs less via RTB which is great but not mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Graces7 wrote: »
    Yes, from experience. Nothing to stop you. RTB is one means to enforce laws, court is another. There is no conflict of interests. Just costs less via RTB which is great but not mandatory

How come the Judge refused to entertain the claim in this case?
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/36B3EBDF059A5BE1802578380040FDB5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

Just to throw in a different idea.. Has any contact been made with the landlord directly? If they know they're in the wrong, and what actions you're planning to take, you two might reach a deal without having to go through any legal system.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No it doesn't.
    Can you provide something more substantial than that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

CPTM wrote: »
    Just to throw in a different idea.. Has any contact been made with the landlord directly? If they know they're in the wrong, and what actions you're planning to take, you two might reach a deal without having to go through any legal system.

The landlord is always wrong😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

L1011 wrote: »
    Can you provide something more substantial than that statement?

He didn't make the original claim.

Don't see how this allows you to skip RTB as I can't see damages being over 20k.

182.—(1) On and from the commencement of Part 6, proceedings may not be instituted in any court in respect of a dispute that may be referred to the Board for resolution under that Part unless one or more of the following reliefs is being claimed in the proceedings—

(a) damages of an amount of more than €20,000,

(b) recovery of arrears of rent or other charges, or both, due under a tenancy of an amount, or an aggregate amount, of more than €60,000 or such lesser amount as would be applicable in the circumstances concerned by virtue of section 115 (3)(b) or (c)(ii).

He didn't make the original claim.

Don't see how this allows you to skip RTB as I can't see damages being over 20k.

182.—(1) On and from the commencement of Part 6, proceedings may not be instituted in any court in respect of a dispute that may be referred to the Board for resolution under that Part unless one or more of the following reliefs is being claimed in the proceedings—

(a) damages of an amount of more than €20,000,

(b) recovery of arrears of rent or other charges, or both, due under a tenancy of an amount, or an aggregate amount, of more than €60,000 or such lesser amount as would be applicable in the circumstances concerned by virtue of section 115 (3)(b) or (c)(ii).

You don't need to get that amount in damages, just claim it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And your case will be thrown out when it's clear you're grossly inflating damages to avoid the RTB

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

We need more information.
    If the landlord gives you notice to leave and you have moved out and then decides to not sell they just have to offer the property back to you. People's situation can change. You will not get compensation in this case. You can move back if you want.

if the landlord put the house up for sale then they don't have to offer it back to you. They may not get what they are looking for so decided to re let.

if you want stability in your accommodation then maybe try to buy.
    Going to rtb can be very stressful and you may not get the outcome you want. A lot of time and effort for very little.

Threshold may give you other advice but it is not always correct.
    Getting annoyed because you have to move will not help. Life is too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The OP should go to RTB. Nothing really to lose.

Maybe if there was not RPZ the landlord would have been happy to simply raise the rent a bit.
    As they had been previously been happy with a lower rent.

And your case will be thrown out when it's clear you're grossly inflating damages to avoid the RTB

That is not grounds to throw out a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you win you will still have to pay the other side’s costs at circuit court level though, unless you win more than the threshold.

Take detailed advice from a solicitor before doing this.

• Advertisement

A case taken under false pretenses can't be thrown out?

You have a very odd concept of the law.

A case taken under false pretenses can't be thrown out?

You have a very odd concept of the law.

There is nothing known to law about a case taken under false pretences. Damages are claimed. The case is heard. If the court finds for the claimant it awards damages which may or may not be the sum claimed.

The case is heard, it becomes clear that you're taking the mick. You end up paying the defence costs.

Rather stupid approach, isn't it?

This is one of these cases where even if something is possible it isn't going to get any useful result and realistically is worse in every single way than doing it the right way. Effectively the worst 'advice' you could possible give someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

How come the Judge refused to entertain the claim in this case?
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/36B3EBDF059A5BE1802578380040FDB5

I cannot comment on any case but the one we took against a former landlord via court without recourse to RTB. Successfully

Graces7 wrote: »
    I cannot comment on any case but the one we took against a former landlord via court without recourse to RTB. Successfully

What court was it? Did the landlord contest jurisdiction? How much was claimed and was it before the coming into force of the RTA in 2005?

Advertisement