Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Callum Chat/Non Technical Discussion (Including Travel)

• 11-10-2018 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭

At these times non-technical people do like to chat about planning for big weather events. Please chat away in here leaving the model and technical discussion in the other thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

Am I safe wearing a hat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Next update of the main models will be 5pm so we won't know much more than we do already. Best advise I saw from Carlow weather guy was don't park cars overnight in areas prone to flooding! Goes without saying but I won't be surprised if we see floating cars tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    Am I safe wearing a hat?

Only if you wear it down your pants

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Will this storm be blowing offshore on the West coast ?
    Its just I'm hoping to get a surf in this weekend...

An off shore on the western side makes the ocean flat calm, when there's a nice swell you'll get absolutely straight sets of wave's maybe every 15 minutes anything from 5 to 7 waves per set.

The easterly wind holds the wave's up until they hit the shore, enabling the surfer to get a good line along the wave.

When it's blowing onshore it's all choppy and messy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

This may help with wind direction confirmation.

https://www.windy.com/?54.725,7.295,4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KingBobby

Apologies, I have deleted my "silly" question on the other thread.

Perhaps I can ask here and I will word it differently. Is there a formula for working out the weight required to secure an object in relation to its surface area and the projected wind speed.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

KingBobby wrote: »

Perhaps I can ask here and I will word it differently. Is there a formula for working out the weight required to secure an object in relation to its surface area and the projected wind speed.

Thanks in advance

In fairness that question still looks silly here:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Same formula for gravity speed but change gravity to wind speed? Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thanks in advance

Sure, what's the coefficient of lift of the object in question in the wind direction in question? :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Thanks in advance

No, it depends on a lot of things... How heavy it is, the aerodynamics of the object, predicted wind direction. Just anchor it to the heaviest thing you can find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Safe enough to travel within Dublin tomorrow between 7-9?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

selassie wrote: »
    Safe enough to travel within Dublin tomorrow between 7-9?

Should be o.k., but keep an eye on forecasts as a smaller secondary system may move up the Irish Sea tomorrow afternoon giving strong winds to the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    Am I safe wearing a hat?

Not if it looks like this -

60225-2.jpg?1532329435

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

When is this starting? No wind yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Will it be windy enough for flying a kite?

Or will it be too windy?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

When it gets windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Half against 13 on Blurnsday the 41st of Smarch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

5:30pm when you leave the office as usual :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

MJohnston wrote: »
    Half against 13 on Blurnsday the 41st of Smarch

Lousy Smarch Weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Been a scorcher of a day here in Kerry.
    Very balmy.

Cloud starting to form and the trampoline is in the shed. I'm on top of a hillso should be fun tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Thanks in advance

Are you trampoline guy? Fierce funny them getting annoyed at you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Andy Magic wrote: »
    5:30pm when you leave the office as usual :eek:

I'll be on the bike at about 5 near the Dublin quays, so should start gusting at 5:01...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm due to fly from Kerry to Dublin at 7.30 am on Sat morning. How are things looking for Saturday? Any likelihood of flight cancellations then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

DOCARCH wrote: »
    When it gets windy.

Anyone know when we will hear from the Emergency meeting? Was there a meeting before Ali?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cork city Council :

Roads & parking areas along low-lying quays in Cork city centre may suffer localised spot flooding at high tide this evening (19.56) and tomorrow morning (08.15). Traffic restrictions will be in place from approx' 17.00hrs today, Thursday, through to 10.00hrs, Friday. The restrictions will apply to Morrison’s Island, Union Quay, Wandesford Quay, Frenches Quay and Crosses Green.

acequion wrote: »
    I'm due to fly from Kerry to Dublin at 7.30 am on Sat morning. How are things looking for Saturday? Any likelihood of flight cancellations then?

Should be fine....should have all passed by tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Patience, grasshopper!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Looks like the storm center is heading North.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks like the storm center is heading North.

So it should mostly miss us? Or is North earlier than expected bad?

Advertisement