Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA out of touch yet again, this time the Limerick home coming

Options
  • 19-08-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭

It’s 45 years since they won it and of course not every limerick person could get a ticket to Croke Park, but to limit the home coming crowd is one of the most stupid decisions I have ever heard.

They are holding it it the Gaelic Ground and numbers are limited. What the f**f? Thousands of kids are going to totally dissappoontef when their parents tell them they be able to go and cheer on their hero’s.

I just hope to god they change their plans and at leat do a open top bus out to the grounds for all those they have chosen to exclude.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

You cannot have unlimited access to a stadium.

Ridiculously dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

True and wouldn’t want that, but you can have a parade. They’re not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Maybe the guards wouldn't allow it for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What are the numbers limited to?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Fair play to them today for opening up the Gaelic Grounds with a big screen. I'd say the cup will be down every highway and byway in the county between now and Christmas, better for people than getting a glimpse at a distance tomorrow evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

They are having a parade. In an open top bus, from the train station to the Gaelic Grounds. That's a pretty decent parade route, no? Semple hosted Tipp's homecoming 2 years ago & I didn't hear complaints that it wasn't big enough, or people couldn't get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Tipp used to have the homecoming in Liberty square in Thurles for free, until someone copped on that you could charge entry to Semple stadium and be quids in.

Not sure but sold out hours ago.

All is forgiven though. Open top bus organised according to Limerick Leader.

Noting to see here move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Apparently the homecoming sold out in an hour, supposed to be capped at 40 thousand, i just hope people get in early and line the streets too to avoid disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Surely homecoming events are for civic authorities to organise not the GAA.

So save your anger for Limerick local authority not the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's what I was thinking. Jeez. Some people are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

There 'll be a 100,000 thousand on the streets...can't compare with Tipp. This is a huge thing and I hope the bus ride is nice n slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking. Jeez. Some people are never happy.

But but Outrage.. "My team won so what will I do with all this pre-built anger, ah I know *Random issue* is the GAAs fault!! "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Ya had 1500 at your first game this season in January.

I hope they get tickets not some kids!

Very good point

Nope. Not my team and I’ll be working this evening. :)

Very good point

Changed my mind on this.

What are the council/corporation doing organising a civic event in the Gaelic grounds. They don’t own it.

Does this non GAA event have to be ratified at next years convention?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not sure but sold out hours ago.

All is forgiven though. Open top bus organised according to Limerick Leader.

Noting to see here move along.

I'm sure you'll find something else to whine about before the day is out. Anyone who believes the GAA is out of touch hasnt a clue

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

cml387 wrote: »
    Tipp used to have the homecoming in Liberty square in Thurles for free, until someone copped on that you could charge entry to Semple stadium and be quids in.

It's free.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Edgware wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll find something else to whine about before the day is out. Anyone who believes the GAA is out of touch hasnt a clue

Heading home, few jobs to do and then will have a sleep on it. I’m sure I’ll find something. I’ll let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,002 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Changed my mind on this.

What are the council/corporation doing organising a civic event in the Gaelic grounds. They don’t own it.

Does this non GAA event have to be ratified at next years convention?

But its the councils job to organise a event in the city street/square etc.

If they don't do that then the GAA cannot organise it in the city street/square.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

BloodyBill wrote: »
    There 'll be a 100,000 thousand on the streets...can't compare with Tipp. This is a huge thing and I hope the bus ride is nice n slow

So more than 50% of the population of Limerick?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Sure what else would you ne doing on a monday! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

cml387 wrote:

Entry to Semple Stadium for homecomings is free of charge. It's much safer than having it in liberty square.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

dave 27 wrote: »
    Sure what else would you ne doing on a monday! ;)
    Sitting down with a nice cup of tea to watch the Lovely Girls show

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

You mean the kids that play for their local clubs and met some of the team over the summer at their Cúl Camps. Yup, hope those little snots get nowhere near the homecoming tonight.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Entry to Semple Stadium for homecomings is free of charge. It's much safer than having it in liberty square.

Did they not charge people when a certain TD was county chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Bonniedog wrote: »

No

• Registered Users Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Can't remember any county getting so much coverage of the homecoming as RTE is giving Limerick this evening.Must have something to do with August and very little other news to report on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Bonniedog wrote:

Jaysus some lads love to spread nonsense about the GAA. The first homecoming in semple stadium was in 2009 before that it was liberty Square. That certain TD was county chairman in the early to mid eighties a time when there was no homecomings but hey don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. And by the way the gates are wide open for homecomings in semple stadium, no tickets, no turnstiles just head in.

Advertisement