Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to Berlin European Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strazdas wrote: »
    She won't be happy with that run. That last lap was perfectly set up for her to medal but she just couldn't accelerate.

She wont be happy with not getting a medal, thats for sure. It was a good tactical race I thought, she ran for a medal and it was within her grasp. Where the British girl got that last finishing kick from i dont know, she looked like she was paying the price for trying to go with Muir.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

STB. wrote: »
    Flattered To deceive.

Cruise no kick. I'd suspect that she has some niggling injury.

She should have been able to go past Weightman who was slowing in the last 200m. I felt there was something not quite right with her (either that or the injection of pace two laps out took too much out of her).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Jesus the most awkward interview with Gillick. She had to stop twice. Puking.

We didn't need to see that RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Come on, guys. She ran hard hard hard...

Shoulda this and should that...nonsense..

Sometimes you give it all but the other persons have a little more..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hahaha why the fook they didn't just cut immediately!

Her 4.04 was a fairly incredible time on the back of a 70/71 1st lap, which is only 4.25pace!

• Advertisement

They should have pulled straight out of the live interview and returned to her two or three minutes later. Very poor editorial decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

walshb wrote: »
    Come on, guys. She ran hard hard hard...

Shoulda this and should that...nonsense..

Sometimes you give it all but the other persons have a little more..

Dont think anybodys making excuses for her in fairness, just frustrating that a medal seemed well within her grasp and when push came to shove she couldn't nail it. Seemed to suggest in her foreshortened interview that she should have kicked on sooner when the pace lifted, but i kind of thought the race panned out perfectly for her in terms of a medal. Just wasnt to be sadly.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hahaha why the fook they didn't just cut immediately!

Her 4.04 was a fairly incredible time on the back of a 70/71 1st lap, which is only 4.25pace!

I wonder if Ciara was caught out by the sudden injection of pace with two laps to go. It could be that it took too much out of her and she had no petrol left in the tank when she hit the home straight.

Wow...

I was thinking to myself on the last 100 (penultimate lap) there that Hassan looked like she was running as if there was only 100 to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

That was totally bizarre from a running pro, stopping at the bell!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Thought she'd won silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Unlucky for the 4 x 100m Irish girls : Gina Akpe-Moses just run out of it in 4th having been still in third with about 10 metres to go. A new national record and a great run all the same.

I thought I heard on the commentary that Italy had been disqualified as they had handed over the baton outside the area and that Ireland were now in the final but I can't find it online anywhere so maybe I just dreamt it.

ParkRunner wrote: »
    That was totally bizarre from a running pro, stopping at the bell!?!

Very sloppy. Nerves and the occasion must have totally gotten to her.

I thought I heard on the commentary that Italy had been disqualified as they had handed over the baton outside the area and that Ireland were now in the final but I can't find it online anywhere so maybe I just dreamt it.

That was the men in fact! No such luck for the girls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

That was the men?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

That was the men in fact! No such luck for the girls :)

bugger but thanks for clearing that up

Very sloppy. Nerves and the occasion must have totally gotten to her.

Wasn’t nerves or the occasion. She miscounted. Thought she was on last lap. Just a straightforward human error..

Ciara Mageean in better form here. This seems to after the RTE interview took place and she's taking the positives from the experience, fair play to her

https://twitter.com/irishathletics/status/1028714445470670848

walshb wrote: »
    Wasn’t nerves or the occasion. She miscounted. Thought she was on last lap. Just a straightforward human error..

She definitely miscounted but you'd wonder if the occasion was a factor. Even a quick glance at the time on the scoreboard would have told her there must be another lap. Perhaps the fact though that they were so strung out even with two laps to go may have confused her.

This pole vault is brilliant..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Dina Asher Smith can really put the foot down :eek:

I do love the German bear mascot helping up the athletes afterwards and high fiving them

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Whoever is in the mascot costume has to be up for a laugh & have a bit of craic with the winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,717 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Salpeter DSQd anyway from the 5k for a lane infringement at the off. Fate is a funny thing, far better to be DSQd from the also-rans than from the podium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Delighted for Muir she has a great attitude..Gold and Silver medalists in the pole vault only 18 and 21 yrs old what great futures they both have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Some finish by the Turks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

If that Duplantis lad doesn't make it to the very top and stay there for a generation I'll be surprised and disappointed. As for Jakob Inge....... Can he do it at world level? Win that is, he can already compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wow, interesting comments from Sonia there re the womens relay team (and possibly other events) putting individual goals above maximising the potential of the team

Have really enjoyed Derval on the panel

Kerry: "there's a young one over in Mayo who's very good at the hammer" :D

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Itziger wrote: »
    If that Duplantis lad doesn't make it to the very top and stay there for a generation I'll be surprised and disappointed. As for Jakob Inge....... Can he do it at world level? Win that is, he can already compete.

He's just finished school and competed in the final of the worlds last year. He's half-American so is going through their system. He's going to LSU I believe.

Only thing (barring injuries) that will stop him is himself. Phenomenal talent.

He'll probably win the European u20s next year with his first vault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

That was a really enjoyable championships. Really do like the format of mixing the other championships in with it, good to see other minority sports get so much time on mainstream TV where they wouldn't normally for their european champs (like the gymnastics today and getting to see Ireland win gold)

• Advertisement

Wow, interesting comments from Sonia there re the womens relay team (and possibly other events) putting individual goals above maximising the potential of the team

Have really enjoyed Derval on the panel

Kerry: "there's a young one over in Mayo who's very good at the hammer" :D

Yes, what was getting at there? Was she blaming the team selectors or was she saying something about the athletes?

Advertisement