Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build up to Berlin European Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

YFlyer wrote: »
    its 4th fastest now for some reason.

Yeah she will probably need a PB alright to qualify.

On paper she is 12th fastest out of all going in the semis as far as I know. Anything can happen but probably looking at a fastest losers spot at best. A big Q would be great.

walshb wrote: »
    If it's just about medals then it's a better achievement.....

If talking about times then it's not a better achievement.....

If taking into consideration the field and event and depth it's not a better achievement.

Anyway, great result.

I'd argue the field was almost as stacked as Rio. Copello a quicker man from 2016. Warholm wasn't there. Granted others were there. On another note Tokyo will be something else with newcomers Abderrahmane Samba and Rai Benjamin likely to feature. Two of the fastest men ever this year.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

46.03 for Leon Reid in the relay.

Considering his PB is 47.1, that's some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Phil Healy fourth in her 200m semi final. She ran reasonably well and another young athlete with time on her side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ran 23.23, her third best time ever. Final placing of 11th. I think that was a pretty good performance, just faded a bit towards the end but had given it her all to that point. Every right to be pleased with her weeks work I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hudson Smith gave the Albanian Eagle hand gesture after winning the 400m.

Ran 23.23, her third best time ever. Final placing of 11th. I think that was a pretty good performance, just faded a bit towards the end but had given it her all to that point. Every right to be pleased with her weeks work I'd say.

Got a bit tired in the last 30 metres or so but it didn't even cost her a place. 11th in Europe is very respectable for something as competitive as the 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭corny

Hamilton calling Shubenkov Shevchenko. Sap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Some very enjoyable racing and field events. Now for the Ingebretsen boys against the rest of Europe. A family against a continent!!! (The Borlees didn't do too badly either mind).

Itziger wrote: »
    Some very enjoyable racing and field events. Now for the Ingebretsen boys against the rest of Europe. A family against a continent!!! (The Borlees didn't do too badly either mind).

Incredible that that guy is only 17. Is he the youngest ever winner of a major track race?

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Itziger wrote: »

Incredible that that guy is only 17. Is he the youngest ever winner of a major track race?
    Good question. Geeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Mary Decker Slaney was refused entry to the 1972 Olympics despite beingranked 4th in the World at 800m because she was only 14. She held the indoor mile record and won the US vs Soviet union meet at 15 and then proceeded to add more and more World records by age 16. I'm sure there are plenty of cases of athletes winning major track races at a younger age than Jakob including himself earlier this year when winning a 1500m at the Diamond league in Oregon I think.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hudson Smith gave the Albanian Eagle hand gesture after winning the 400m.

Being anti Russian/Serb seems fashionable these days.

Safiri wrote: »

Mary Decker Slaney was refused entry to the 1972 Olympics despite beingranked 4th in the World at 800m because she was only 14. She held the indoor mile record and won the US vs Soviet union meet at 15 and then proceeded to add more and more World records by age 16. I'm sure there are plenty of cases of athletes winning major track races at a younger age than Jakob including himself earlier this year when winning a 1500m at the Diamond league in Oregon I think.
    I think he was 3rd in that race. I thought the original question referred to major championships, not just big races, although looking at the wording now I see where you're coming from and yeah, Mary Decker is a good case alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ross Runner

Watching the 20k walk, bit of a joke really!
    They all took off running it was so obvious.....

Does anybody know if the marathon line up for tomorrow is up to date? Is Moen going for Norway?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

The big leading groups create a running impression especially around bends. They need to start using technology to assist the judges. Having the women's and men's race on together on a one kilometre loop with lots of lapping is bizarre.

A British man broke away and established a quick lead and was then disqualified and he smiled.

An Italian man breaks away, quickly gets a warning, and fades back into the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Wow that Ingebretsen looked so calm and composed throughout the race hope he can really kick on and challenge the Africans.

echat wrote: »
    The big leading groups create a running impression especially around bends. They need to start using technology to assist the judges. Having the women's and men's race on together on a one kilometre loop with lots of lapping is bizarre.

A British man broke away and established a quick lead and was then disqualified and he smiled.

An Italian man breaks away, quickly gets a warning, and fades back into the group.

It's the one event in athletics road/track that I don't warm to. I respect the pain, the distances etc. but I just can't get into it. They all lift IMO but some are more obvious than others. They would all be disqualified if video technology was brought in, which I understand is why it is not used. I may be wrong on that but it is what I have been told on a 'bloke down the pub said so' level. Guess the logistics and expense of following each athlete for the entirety of the event with a camera would be pretty difficult too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

It's the one event in athletics road/track that I don't warm to. I respect the pain, the distances etc. but I just can't get into it. They all lift IMO but some are more obvious than others. They would all be disqualified if video technology was brought in, which I understand is why it is not used. I may be wrong on that but it is what I have been told on a 'bloke down the pub said so' level. Guess the logistics and expense of following each athlete for the entirety of the event with a camera would be pretty difficult too.

Its utter rubbish of a race a blind man could see they are all running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think they first started using high frame rate/super slow-mo cameras during the Athens Olympics and blew the myth of rwalkers keeping one foot on the ground all the time. They leave it up to the judges eyes.

Anyway, back to tonight's action. Some improvement this year by Dina Asher smith. Still only 22 and she could pull out more improvement between now and the Worlds/Olympics.

That's two dominant 200m final winners and the standout sprint performances. I still think this jazzy entrance gimmick is affecting overall times for the sprints. Too much hanging around after they warm up and strip down ready to run.

Unlucky for the 4 x 100m Irish girls : Gina Akpe-Moses just run out of it in 4th having been still in third with about 10 metres to go. A new national record and a great run all the same.

Quietly confident for Mageean here. Not sure about a medal but have a feeling she wont be too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

4th for her. Thought she had 3rd with about 150m to go but just ran out of steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jeez, that was true hard 1500 running...beautiful to watch..

Thought she had great chance for silver round the bend, looked so comfortable but just didnt have the legs in the finish. Good run but still disappointed for her.

Very disappointing for Ciara. She had every chance to medal coming off the bend but just couldn't quicken for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Laura Weightan looked to be dying at 200 to go, but found a mini second wind at 50 to go. So close for Ciara.

Thought she had great chance for silver round the bend, looked so comfortable but just didnt have the legs in the finish. Good run but still disappointed for her.

She won't be happy with that run. That last lap was perfectly set up for her to medal but she just couldn't accelerate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Flattered To deceive.

Cruise no kick. I'd suspect that she has some niggling injury.

Advertisement