Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traditional music in pubs

• 02-08-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for pubs that have traditional music? It's for foreign visitors, but I don't know anywhere. Anyone have a suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

I think the Reg do Trad sessions on certain nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I heard that too, but when I rang them it more ballads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Daisy 55 wrote: »
    I heard that too, but when I rang them it more ballads.

Tully's do some I think.

This is one thing Waterford needs to improve on. In Galway and Dublin, there's trad in loads of pubs and its great! Great music, great atmosphere and the tourists love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Kitty Kiernans on Barracks street has trad music a couple of nights a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Deiseen wrote: »
    This is one thing Waterford needs to improve on. In Galway and Dublin, there's trad in loads of pubs and its great! Great music, great atmosphere and the tourists love it.

Bolded the problem parts.

Adyx wrote: »

Bolded the problem parts.

Whats your point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Tourists don't spend enough money in pubs and Waterford doesn't have the volume or diversity of a local crowd that Galway and Dublin have to make it worth a pubs while.

Tourists don't spend enough money in pubs and Waterford doesn't have the volume or diversity of a local crowd that Galway and Dublin have to make it worth a pubs while.

Its no Galway, but Waterford is the top 10 tourist spot in Ireland. If the top 10 can't achieve something then Ireland should just give up completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Plenty of pubs host music sessions with ne'r a tourist in sight. They're the ones the musicians like.

;)

OP, you could phone around and see if any of these are still going:

https://thesession.org/sessions/search?day=&q=waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

I think people are forgetting that up to pretty recently Waterford had one of the best trad pubs in the country. T & H Doolans in Georges St. I know it was bought by the same crew that own J & K. Walshs further up the road and is rumoured to be reopening in the not too distant future. Watch this space.

I think people are forgetting that up to pretty recently Waterford had one of the best trad pubs in the country. T & H Doolans in Georges St. I know it was bought by the same crew that own J & K. Walshs further up the road and is rumoured to be reopening in the not too distant future. Watch this space.

Folk songs. Not trad.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Folk songs. Not trad.

Potato, Potahto..Tomato, Tomahto!:rolleyes:

Both folk songs and trad are cosy bedfellows.
    T&H's had (has) a mix of trad AND folk sessions. It had (has)
    an international reputation for great Irish traditional music.
    Renowned singer Liam Clancy (of The Clancy Bros) both played in
    and owned the joint @ one stage. And there were many more famous
    acts who frequented the pub down thru the years.

Potato, Potahto..Tomato, Tomahto!:rolleyes:

Both folk songs and trad are cosy bedfellows.
    T&H's had (has) a mix of trad AND folk sessions. It had (has)
    an international reputation for great Irish traditional music.
    Renowned singer Liam Clancy (of The Clancy Bros) both played in
    and owned the joint @ one stage. And there were many more famous
    acts who frequented the pub down thru the years.

I dont remember ever seeing an actual proper trad session in T and H's, could be mistaken thou.

They're not the same thing as folk tunes btw, completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Trad seems to all sound the same to me and it's gets repetitive after a while but the tourists love it and lap it up

To me ballads is people singing Dubliners/Clancys etc and is a better night than trad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The Granville had a good display of performers when I last dined in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Wouldn't be too sure about t+h's opening up anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Wouldn't be too sure about t+h's opening up anytime soon.

Are you in a position to expand on this? I’ve been curious as to why it’s still closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Are you in a position to expand on this? I’ve been curious as to why it’s still closed.

Just going by what i've been told by staff in their other pub. They don't know whats happening either.
    They bought T+H's 3 or 4 years ago and there's no work after going on in there in a long time. They were also meant to extend out the back of J+K Walshs, that hasn't happened either.

Advertisement