Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You didn't, you claimed I'm stopping someone from practicing their faith. Please explain how the practice of faith can only be practiced in a certain location? When you are ready.

Never said only.

Its pretty obvious. Very petty, sad people are deliberately getting tickets for the papal mass with no intention of going.

Therefore those people are preventing practising Catholics from attending and partaking in a spiritual event because they think its edgy and cool.

People who take this tickets woth zero intention of going are stopping people from expressing their faith as they with to see their spiritual leader.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

He's already explained it to you quite concisely. What do you gain from stopping other people going to see the pope?

Actually he didn't explain anything concisely, I asked since when was the ability to practice ones faith location specific, no answer. They can still see the pope if they can't make the event he'll be on da' telly. All good. What do I gain? A warm fuzzy feeling.

Its pretty obvious. Very petty, sad people are deliberately getting tickets for the papal mass with no intention of going.

So you understand the point, it's a way to protest using the minimum of effort. Any way it'll be on 'da telly'. Sure they can kneel down in the comfort of their own home and have a nice cup of tea. ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

What do I gain? A warm fuzzy feeling.

I guess I don't have to be a dick to others to get a warm, fuzzy feeling in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wonder if there'll be people outside selling tickets.

Where there's a demand, there's usually people looking to make a few quid.

• Advertisement

I guess I don't have to be a dick to others to get a warm, fuzzy feeling in life.

True but you could still be a dick, I don't know you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

So you understand the point, it's a way to protest using the minimum of effort. Any way it'll be on 'da telly'. Sure they can kneel down in the comfort of their own home and have a nice cup of tea. ; )

'protest'

A nice excuse to prevent freedom of expression or practice of faith.

Its just sad.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

ELM327 hasn't given any indication that he registered tickets to deprive others and is merely sharing the information he got. I don't know how you made that leap.

Edit: I've looked back over his posts and seen he's being a dick ordering tickets he has no intention of using. Fair enough.

Apologies. I thought you knew why he was getting tickets. I think it's best to just ignore these pathetic people. They clearly lead boring lives if this is how they entertain themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

optogirl wrote: »
    I would worry that the media will use that as an excuse as to why f*** all people show up instead of acknowledging that the RCC 's time is up in this country.

That's the problem I have with this form of protest as well…

I grew up in a very orthodox Catholic family and I have no love for the religion. I've been an atheist all my adult life but I'd be loathe to stop anyone practicing their religion when it doesn't affect me personally. For me that's suppression of freedom of expression.

I see it that way too and I didn't grow up in a orthodox Catholic Family. My late Father wasn't interested in this and I have made my own experiences with the violence of the RCC and its representatives. I have the RCC down as the most hypocrite and morally corrupt institution beside politics. But for everyone who likes to see the Pope, if that gives them their pleasure, I would complain about or protest against it at all. In fact, I don't care.

After reaching my 18th birthday, I went to the civil registry to declare my dismission on my membership of the RCC (that was not in Ireland). Some years later, my father did the same. Just my mother was a bit horryfied on my decision but I never applied for being taken back by the RCC as a member. I'd rather join the Protestants than ever even considering to become a member of the RCC again. But they are no better than the others.  

As it happened, while I was on a short holiday to Rome on Easter 1998, the lot I was walking with went to see the Pope so I was also there. It didn't bother me then, I went to Rome to see the City.

No one stopping anyone practicing their faith. Repeating nonsense doesn't afford it credibility. It's just constant repetition of b.s..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,356 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ELM327 hasn't given any indication that he registered tickets to deprive others and is merely sharing the information he got. I don't know how you made that leap.
    There's an oversupply of tickets. There's still many available. Nobody is being deprived. Surely the grand high dress won't let that happen anyway.

Edit: I've looked back over his posts and seen he's being a dick ordering tickets he has no intention of using. Fair enough.
    No need for the insults. Post reported.
    Everyone has the right to peaceful protest.

Do I really need to explain it to you? They're buying tickets to purposely deprive others who would like to go. I better stay away from this thread anyway. I got banned the last time because these nasty people were annoying me so much
    Say nope to the pope is a perfectly legit peaceful protest
    No one is deprived, they literally couldnt give away the tickets.

No one stopping anyone practicing their faith. Repeating nonsense doesn't afford it credibility. It's just constant repetition of b.s..

I see that happen in politics too. So, what's the difference anyway if not the topic itself?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Do I really need to explain it to you? They're buying tickets to purposely deprive others who would like to go. I better stay away from this thread anyway. I got banned the last time because these nasty people were annoying me so much
    Say nope to the pope is a perfectly legit peaceful protest
    No one is deprived, they literally couldnt give away the tickets.

I came across the title of an article about them having problems with their software to supply the tickets. I didn't read the article though, wasn't that interesting to me.

Apologies. I thought you knew why he was getting tickets. I think it's best to just ignore these pathetic people. They clearly lead boring lives if this is how they entertain themselves.

But yet you still clog these threads with your mindless drivel/

Sorry if being offended by a paedophile ring that attempts to control society makes me pathetic.
    I guess I'm pathetic. Oh well, at least my conscience is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They want to see the head of their religion, people are being petty by blocking them from getting tickets to go see him. To some, the visit would be a major thing for them in terms of their faith. It makes no difference to anyone else. Why would you feel the need to block people from going to it?

I guess you would feel the need to block people from going if you were a proper knob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There's an oversupply of tickets. There's still many available. Nobody is being deprived. Surely the grand high dress won't let that happen anyway.

Not according to the official website. The mass is booked out.
    No need for the insults. Post reported.
    Everyone has the right to peaceful protest.

If you got up off your arse and peacefully protested on the day, I'd have no problem with that - I'd respect it.

Going online and block booking tickets to stop others being able to attend is being a dick imo.

But yet you still clog these threads with your mindless drivel/

Sorry if being offended by a paedophile ring that attempts to control society makes me pathetic.

Oh how original. I suppose you want all the care homes in the country closed as well. No, didn't think so. You're blind hatred means it pointless trying to talk to you. Which I won't anymore. Bye!

Believe it or not, but there are still strong believers out there, some even devote, some dogmatic, some who can't do without it, and some may be just curious. Whether their live is boring is rather hard to tell by someone like you or me who don't take any pleasure in religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I'm waiting to see who's playing support, there's a rumour it'll be Richard Dawkins:D

• Advertisement

Thomas_IV wrote: »
    Believe it or not, but there are still strong believers out there, some even devote, some dogmatic, some who can't do without it, and some may be just curious. Whether their live is boring is rather hard to tell by someone like you or me who don't take any pleasure in religion.

I'm talking about the people dumping tickets. I'm Catholic and will be going.

Thomas_IV wrote: »

I'm talking about the people dumping tickets. I'm Catholic and will be going.
    Well, then enjoy the day. Sorry for mistaking you as someone who has no interest in all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

That's great news but what has it got to do with who's going to see the pope?

Not preventing it at all. They can practice it wherever this wish just maybe not at the gig in the park. Go to a church or field and have a pray sure isn't God everywhere.

Not preventing it at all. They can practice it wherever this wish just maybe not at the gig in the park. Go to a church or field and have a pray sure isn't God everywhere.

You're probably preventing a granny from attending a Mass given by the head of the Church. This form of protest is so brave. Reminds me of Martin Luther King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

You're probably preventing a granny from attending a Mass given by the head of the Church. This form of protest is so brave. Reminds me of Martin Luther King.

But what if, en route to the mass, she tripped and fell and broke her hip?

That's a life saved right there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

This "protest" doesn't hurt the church just the people that want to peacefully go to an event with like minded people, the majority of which would be older people. Nothing to be gained from doing this and nothing to be proud of.

Probably but we don't know. I could be preventing a granny from tripping over an errant chair and hurting herself at the gig. Every bit as probable as your suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

SexBobomb wrote: »
    This "protest" doesn't hurt the church just the people that want to peacefully go to an event with like minded people, the majority of which would be older people. Nothing to be gained from doing this and nothing to be proud of.

Let’s not forget that Garth Brooks sold out 5 nights in no time. There were tickets available for this mass long after they were released. They were free too! Anyone that wanted one could have gotten one. I’ve yet to hear anyone say I wish I could have gone but there were no tickets as I did with Garth.

• Advertisement

SexBobomb wrote:
    Nothing to be gained from doing this and nothing to be proud of.

Your opinion, which means .......guess?

Advertisement