Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It would interesting to see Steel Battalion emulated, with the keyboard and a pair of analogue sticks.

It would be a really pale imitation I'd have thought.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It would be a really pale imitation I'd have thought.

Well, yes...
    But if a person has no other way to play it....

And I think that is the central conceit to emulation, no?
    It might look like the desired game onscreen but it will miss that certain something, be it the experience of the media, the host console and/or the controller.

Well, yes...

It might look like the desired game onscreen but it will miss that certain something, be it the experience of the media, the host console and/or the controller.

I think in this particular example it's taken to the nth degree though. The only thing unique or interesting about that game are the controllers. You'd get as much out of watching someone else play with the proper set up on a YouTube video, imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, I don't know, the game is pretty impressive and, married to a VR headset even in big screen mode, it would be a cracking game to play.
    That said, with one's noggin in a headset it would be hard to know if you were hitting the reload key or the one that washes the windows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xbox controllers are just USB, bastardised to a proprietary connector so I'm sure with emulation someone could write a driver for the controller.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Xbox controllers are just USB, bastardised to a proprietary connector so I'm sure with emulation someone could write a driver for the controller.

Then you'd be talking, for the lucky few who have one.(this is not an invitation for you lucky feckers who own one to post pictures:))

Then you'd be talking, for the lucky few who have one.

:)
    (this is not an invitation for you lucky feckers who own one to post pictures:))

:eek:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

Not in all cases, definitely no. I greatly downsized my physical collection, and favored an emulation setup. I do own the original consoles, I do (did) own the games, I do own a CRT, and yet, I made the decision to largely 'get out'. Collecting is great, it's a wonderful hobby, and is the de facto way to experience the media in question. It does come with some caveats though, it's stupidly and artificially expensive, there's a lot of trivial willy waving that goes on with it, it can become obsessional and compulsive, you need space (potentially a lot of it), there's usually maintenance, and there's a large placebo effect going on for many people.

What I mean by that is, well, I'll ask the question of myself by choosing a random game. Was my experience of Super Metroid negatively affected, in any sense at all, by playing it via an emulator, versus playing it on actual hardware? Owning the game and console physically, I can safely say no, it wasn't. There was no middle man between me, and the games code. The games code runs flawlessly on real hardware, as it does via something like a cycle exact Snes emulator. I played with a Snes style USB controller, so no difference there. I played it with some heavy duty shader action, which gave me a very close approximation of a crt tv. All in all, a very gratifying experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,698 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Infidel...

(Goes back to playing on an everdrive on a lcd monitor)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Migrating my big screen emulation onto Nvidia Shield TV at the moment from my old RetronPi setup. Its always plugged in, better controllers, more power etc so much more convenient - when its not busy with Youtube Kids or Netflix that is..

Combination of ARC Browser & Retroarch works very well and the hardware is plenty powerful for the consoles I'm emulating (up to PS1). Still fiddling about with the various shaders and hotkeys but its coming together nicely.

• Advertisement

Migrating my big screen emulation onto Nvidia Shield TV at the moment from my old RetronPi setup. Its always plugged in, better controllers, more power etc so much more convenient - when its not busy with Youtube Kids or Netflix that is..

Combination of ARC Browser & Retroarch works very well and the hardware is plenty powerful for the consoles I'm emulating (up to PS1). Still fiddling about with the various shaders and hotkeys but its coming together nicely.

Have heard great things about the Shield, apparently it's the absolute business for playing 4k HDR practically fuss free too.

They're impressive devices alright and expensive compared to other Android TV boxes, similar specs as the Switch.

I've converted over to using Plex for all media sharing in the house and the Shield works great with it. Ability to play android games is handy too :)

I've converted over to using Plex for all media sharing in the house

NAS?

Yep QNAP TS251+ tucked away hosting all the media and running the Plex server, Shield can also act as a server but I'm only using it as a client. Having the download client and media server on the same box is handy :)

NAS also supports DLNA and its own streaming services but they are dark age stuff compared to Plex with all its lovely metadata.

Yep QNAP TS251+ tucked away hosting all the media and running the Plex server, Shield can also act as a server but I'm only using it as a client. Having the download client and media server on the same box is handy :)

NAS also supports DLNA and its own streaming services but they are dark age stuff compared to Plex with all its lovely metadata.

Very nice. Do you find transcoding reduces quality at all?

Not that I've noticed, the Shield should be able to handle the vast majority of the video codecs so its only audio containers that get transcoded, sometimes 5.1 to stereo can be muffled unless the profile is tweaked a bit.

You can have Plex 'optimize' media where it will transcode them offline to that ever profile you like if the NAS can't handle concurrent transcoded streams. Mine is only doing software transcoding at the moment but I'll probably pay for the premium package and I think that includes the hardware transcoding option.

Might get video transcoding on tablets/ipad but not noticed any quality issues.

I see Cannonball has been ported to Retroarch. Weird looking at Outrun with double the framrate & double the gfx resolution

This is a reverse engineered version of Outrun written by Reassembler. It sports several enhancements over the original Outrun game, such as a 60fps framerate (original ran at 30fps), high-resolution rendering, and widescreen mode support. There are also several additional modes which were never there in the arcade game, such as time trial modes and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

So strange seeing it run at 60 FPS. Almost makes it look like a modern game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Looks cack with no scanlines.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Looks cack with no scanlines.

Indeed, but so does everything running through an LCD..original hardware included. Thankfully Retroarch has the best shader system around, must give it a go later on with crt-royale turned on & see how it looks. I'm a huge stickler for framerate, but for something like Outrun, I think I'd prefer it at the original 30fps :eek:

• Advertisement

Interesting seeing the official Ninty emulator running SMG on a Shield. Chinese Shield only for the mo, but goes to show the Switch hardware has no problems with upscaled GC Wii stuff if the code is optimised enough. The game is absolutely gorgeous looking, could easily pass for current gen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

a mate set up retroarch on my ps3, but there was no N64 core.. so I've gone onto romsmania to grab one and downloaded on to the usb with everything else. is it as simple as when i plug this into the ps3 and pick a n64 rom the n64 core will load?

guile4582 wrote: »
    a mate set up retroarch on my ps3, but there was no N64 core.. so I've gone onto romsmania to grab one and downloaded on to the usb with everything else. is it as simple as when i plug this into the ps3 and pick a n64 rom the n64 core will load?

I've no idea about Retroarch on consoles I'm afraid. On the PC, you download any additional cores you want from WITHIN Retroarch itself, it downloads them to the correct place & the core will have the correct name. Is there any way to browse available cores from within RA itself on the PS3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

Inviere wrote: »
    I've no idea about Retroarch on consoles I'm afraid. On the PC, you download any additional cores you want from WITHIN Retroarch itself, it downloads them to the correct place & the core will have the correct name. Is there any way to browse available cores from within RA itself on the PS3?

had a look last night there is a "download core" option but nothing happened. i wouldn't be an expert so treading lightly! read this this morning too :confused:

http://www.retroarch.com/index.php?page=cores

Some progression with Ryujinx (a Switch emulator). Ethics/morality aside, it's mad the progress this had made. Granted, Sonic Mania is a very simple 2d game compared to what the Switch can do

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

guile4582 wrote: »

I think you can put N64 roms in a N64 folder and then associate that folder with that core.

I am only new to it myself. I have all the roms (all arcarde) just on the root of a USB key, when I go into "Load Content" and select one it brings up a choice of cores I could use, and I pick one of the MAME ones. So if you go to load conent and click on the N64 rom it might do the same.

Neither of my MAME emus seem that good though, I am wondering what the best is. One is MAME 2000 can't remember the other. Maybe I should be downloading a 3rd?

Some games (e.g. splatterhouse) do not load at all. The rom works fine on mame on a PC.

Odroid anyone?

Looks like a fun little thing. My youngest would love making that and playing with It, hopefully it'll appear online to buy here. Definite Christmas present.

rubadub wrote: »
    I think you can put N64 roms in a N64 folder and then associate that folder with that core.

Best I can ascertain is that the PS3 Retroarch comes bundled with all the cores it actually works with, and that you can't add more. So if there's no N64 core, I guess the PS3 isn't compatible with it?
    Looks like a fun little thing. My youngest would love making that and playing with It, hopefully it'll appear online to buy here. Definite Christmas present.

Very cool little thing indeed. Looks a tad slow while browsing menus etc, but for $30ish, whaddya want :)

• Advertisement

Very cool little thing indeed. Looks a tad slow while browsing menus etc, but for $30ish, whaddya want :)

Yeah did take a while browsing/loading, but I think the making and setting up would appeal to him anyway.

Advertisement