Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trinity Grass Track

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

nevan wrote: »
    The running group that trains on the grass track in Trinity is TTRacers. They train there Tuesday and Thursday lunchtime in summer and in Ringsend in winter. It looks like a nice club. I’ve often seen a fairly pacey group of about 10 doing laps in the summer. I presume it’s them. They have a website but I cannot tell you the address.

It’s cheap to join them, €40 a year and about €15 extra for using the Trinity track. I doubt that they have exclusive use of it though. I think anyone can go and run on it in season.

This year the grass was bad on the track and it delayed opening. It usually opens in the middle of April. I asked a groundskeeper last month and he said that it would be open May 15th this year. It closes for running in November.

If we got to November I be delighted, usually due to the weather its september :(

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

If we got to November I be delighted, usually due to the weather its september :(

I think it was cut short last yr due to the damage done to the grounds by the gigs. It's an absolutely brilliant resource to have, with or without the track being in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

The running group that trains on the grass track in Trinity is TTRacers. They train there Tuesday and Thursday lunchtime in summer and in Ringsend in winter. It looks like a nice club. I’ve often seen a fairly pacey group of about 10 doing laps in the summer. I presume it’s them. They have a website but I cannot tell you the address.

It’s cheap to join them, €40 a year and about €15 extra for using the Trinity track. I doubt that they have exclusive use of it though. I think anyone can go and run on it in season.

This year the grass was bad on the track and it delayed opening. It usually opens in the middle of April. I asked a groundskeeper last month and he said that it would be open May 15th this year. It closes for running in November.

Thanks for the info Nevan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I see the BHAA Trinity Track night is on the 13th. Well worth a visit for that, really enjoyed it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Nialler73 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Nevan

Email Terry@ttracers.com if you're interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 nevan

I had a peek today at 1 and there were runners of all styles doing laps today. Offficially open!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I had a peek today at 1 and there were runners of all styles doing laps today. Offficially open!

TTRacers is made up of 5/6 different groups of varying speeds.

Cool, will use it at lunchtime on Thursday

Just ran on the grass track. Its nice to have it back. A few people walking across it, but a few shouts of track and they get use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I had a go on the track yesterday for the first time, and pretty much had it to myself (apart from a few students sitting/standing in the middle of it).
    Question though - my Garmin consistently measured it very slightly long. I'm assuming it's more likely that the watch is inaccurate than the track, but anyone else experience this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭cullenswood

GPS would find it very hard to be accurate over a running track given the short distance involved and the fact you are running in a circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

GPS would find it very hard to be accurate over a running track given the short distance involved and the fact you are running in a circle.

Thanks. Didn't realise it being a circle made a difference but I suppose that makes sense. It was just odd as it was very consistently in how far 'out' it was each time. I'll have to time myself the old fashioned way next time so!

GPS should generally come up shorter than the actual distance when you go in a circle, not longer. On the other hand, the outside lane of a track is usually 450m. It’s only 400m in lane 1. I’m not sure the track there is following strict IAAF standards though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I’d be amazed if that track was bang on 400m to be honest.

Popped down today on my lunch to have a look at it and to sit out in the sun. It looks great. Very impressed at how short they’ve kept the grass. Will definitely do a few sessions on it at lunchtime over the summer.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I’d be amazed if that track was bang on 400m to be honest.

Popped down today on my lunch to have a look at it and to sit out in the sun. It looks great. Very impressed at how short they’ve kept the grass. Will definitely do a few sessions on it at lunchtime over the summer.

Yeah its long. My watch was measuring around 1.05k per lap. But that's ok, it serves its purpose for me.

They cut it three times a week for the cricket

Yeah its long. My watch was measuring around 1.05k per lap. But that's ok, it serves its purpose for me.

They cut it three times a week for the cricket

1.05? Really? Have you figured out why?:rolleyes:

Murph_D wrote: »
    1.05? Really? Have you figured out why?:rolleyes:

The bend onto the 200m is very different to previous years.

I know the length more by my time for 1k intervals.

Its no big deal to me, its great to have the track again

So the track is long by 650m then? :pac:

So the track is long by 605m then? :pac:

I meant per km lap. That was the intervals i was doing

If you read it correctly i said 1.05k lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I meant per km lap. That was the intervals i was doing

If you read it correctly i said 1.05k lap.

If you wrote it correctly there wouldn't be confusion. Talking about the length of a looped track of course people will take a lap to mean, well, a lap of the track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

For the record racing on a certified track last weekend, I got 1580m for my 1500 and 830m for my 800, my gps has always recorded long on the track. Sessions are always done old school, timer and lap button.

benjamin d wrote: »
    If you wrote it correctly there wouldn't be confusion. Talking about the length of a looped track of course people will take a lap to mean, well, a lap of the track.

I put a k beside the lap distance. Maybe some people like to troll

I put a k beside the lap distance. Maybe some people like to troll

Ok so your watch ‘measured’ the track at 420m then based on your 1.05k ‘lap’.

If it’s long, it’s hardly that much off. And of course your watch measurement is not relevant. If your rep time was a bit slower than usual, much more likely to be the slow grass surface.

Ok so your watch ‘measured’ the track at 420m then based on your 1.05k ‘lap’.

If it’s long, it’s hardly that much off. And of course your watch measurement is not relevant. If your rep time was a bit slower than usual, much more likely to be the slow grass surface.

I never gave out about it being off. Someone posted a comment saying they doubt it was dead on. I already said it didnt matter to me as it serves its purpose.

And track isnt 420m. Its was a combine total of 5 meters over give or take after 2.5 laps.

I never gave out about it being off. Someone posted a comment saying they doubt it was dead on. I already said it didnt matter to me as it serves its purpose.

And track isnt 420m. Its was a combine total of 5 meters over give or take after 2.5 laps.

Who said you gave out?

You might want to check your sums though! Anyways just having a bit of fun. Never mind.

Who said you gave out?

You might want to check your sums though! Anyways just having a bit of fun. Never mind.

Yep missing an extra 0 in the 1.005, mobiles are tougher to write with:pac:

I ran a few laps today and the two I measured both came out at 440m. Someone mixed up their yard and metre measuring tapes.

Long or not the track is now white-lined and ready for BHAA in 2 weeks. They’re doing 800m and Imperial Mile races, in honour of their 30th anniversary. Registration is only for members now but I guess that will change closer to the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered (I have read the thread and can't see it).

Do you have to be a member to use this track or do people just float in for a few laps?

Cheers,

NT,

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered (I have read the thread and can't see it).

Do you have to be a member to use this track or do people just float in for a few laps?

Cheers,

NT,

Just float in. A big group of kids was using it today though, so had to run on the inside of it. Kids were having a great time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

If the track is genuinely measured incorrectly has anyone contacted BHAA to advise them?

Advertisement