Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheetahs vs Munster; Fri 13 April 6:35pm Irish Time; Sky Sports Mix

Options
  • 12-04-2018 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

GUINNESS PRO14
    Toyota Cheetahs vs Munster
    13 April 2018. Kick-off: 19:35 (SA Time)
    Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein

15 Clayton Blommetjies
    14 William Small-Smith
    13 Francois Venter ( C)
    12 Niel Marais
    11 Sibahle Maxwane
    10 Johan Goosen
    9 Tian Meyer
    1 Ox Nche
    2 Torsten van Jaarsveld
    3 Johan Coetzee
    4 Carl Wegner
    5 Reniel Hugo
    6 Paul Schoeman
    7 Oupa Mohoje
    8 Uzair Cassiem

16 Jacques du Toit
    17 Charles Marais
    18 Tom Botha
    19 Rynier Bernardo
    20 Henco Venter
    21 Zee Mkhabela
    22 Clinton Swart
    23 AJ Coertzen

The following players are not eligible for team selection due to injury:

Dennis Visser (knee), Elandruggett (knee) Ruan van Rensburg, (hand), Luan de Bruin (chest muscle), Shaun Venter (groin), Malcolm Jaer (hand), Nico Lee (ankle), Luther Obi (knee), Justin Basson (ankle).

Munster:
    Simon Zebo; Andrew Conway, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin, Darren Sweetnam; JJ Hanrahan, James Hart;
    Brian Scott, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Gerbrandt Grobler, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Jack O’Donoghue, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Rhys Marshall, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Dave O’Callaghan, Conor Oliver, Conor Murray, Ian Keatley, Rory Scannell.

Conference A table:
    Glasgow 70 - game in hand
    Munster 63
    Cheetahs 57
    Cardiff 48
    Ospreys 40 - game in hand
    Connacht 34
    Zebre 22 - game in hand

One of the games of the weekend sees Cheetahs hosting Munster in a crunch Conference A game. This is a must win for the home team who will be desperate to secure a home quarter-final. Munster will be looking to secure their home quarter-final with a game to spare. Munster have named a team closer to the likely side for their European semi-final while the Cheetahs have unveiled their joker of Johan Goosen. This will be Goosen's first appearance since 2016 when he sensationally walked out/retired from Racing 92, as he looks to find form before his big money move to Montpellier in the summer.

While they scraped to victory last week against Cardiff, the Cheetahs home form has been excellent and with the altitude advantage I expect they will win a close game. Cheetahs to win by less than 5.

Free_State-Stadion_Bloemfon.jpg

Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Stronger Munster team than I would've thought. Is it a good idea to risk injury before such a huge match next weekend? Either way I think Munster have what it takes to edge this. A home QF would be nice indeed.

Anyways win or lose the biggest concern is keeping our CC heads injury free!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Stronger Munster team than I would've thought. Is it a good idea to risk injury before such a huge match next weekend? Either way I think Munster have what it takes to edge this. A home QF would be nice indeed.

Players need to play. Nobody who's pencilled in to start against Racing will have played more than 1 game of the 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

There was always going to be a strong team for this. A win tomorrow means Munster won't need to win against Ulster in two weeks and can rotate the lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There was always going to be a strong team for this. A win tomorrow means Munster won't need to win against Ulster in two weeks and can rotate the lineup.

And with the Cheetah's playing the King's that weekend that's almost a guaranteed 5 points for them and they also have a rest week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

turnikett1 wrote: »

I'm only counting 5 or 6 players who'll be playing next weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I'm only counting 5 or 6 players who'll be playing next weekend?

20/23 will be in the squad next week id say

15 Clayton Blommetjies
    14 William Small-Smith
    13 Francois Venter ( C)
    12 Niel Marais
    11 Sibahle Maxwane
    10 Johan Goosen
    9 Tian Meyer
    1 Ox Nche
    2 Torsten van Jaarsveld

3 Johan Coetzee
    4 Carl Wegner
    5 Reniel Hugo
    6 Paul Schoeman

7 Oupa Mohoje
    8 Uzair Cassiem

16 Jacques du Toit
    17 Charles Marais
    18 Tom Botha
    19 Rynier Bernardo
    20 Henco Venter
    21 Zee Mkhabela
    22 Clinton Swart
    23 AJ Coertzen

Players in bold played in the match in September in Thomond Park. The two starting wingers that day, Petersen and Mapimpi, are now on Super Rugby teams. Tom Botha on the bench tonight is going to Ospreys next season. Uzair Cassiem has signed for Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

10 of that 23 have signed for other teams for next season already and others are surely looking at leaving. Disaster for the league. Cheetahs are going to go backwards in dramatic fashion.

Buer wrote: »
    10 of that 23 have signed for other teams for next season already and others are surely looking at leaving. Disaster for the league. Cheetahs are going to go backwards in dramatic fashion.

Playing the Kings three times a year and the home advantage will keep them reasonably competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

From SA Rugby Mag, they seem confident!
    The Cheetahs will be gunning for victory, but a draw or two losing bonus points will see coach Rory Duncan’s men secure a spot in the six-team playoffs in their inaugural Pro14 campaign with one round remaining.

The highly-anticipated return of Johan Goosen to rugby will attract the most attention and his presence should massively aid the hosts’ cause.

The Cheetahs have won eight of their nine matches at home this season and should make it nine out of 10 after Munster coach Johann van Graan decided to rest his more senior players for their European Champions Cup semi-final.

However, Munster still have Simon Zebo, Andrew Conway, Peter O’Mahony and Niall Scannell in the starting lineup, with club legends Dave Kilcoyne, Conor Murray and Ian Keatley providing cover off the bench.

The Cheetahs will therefore have their work cut out for them, but should have enough firepower to secure their most important win of the season.

TBH I think Cheetahs should be favourites for this, but I don't think the Munster team is that weak at all. It'll be interesting to see what effect the altitude has at this stage of the season.

• Advertisement

One of the worst things about the SA teams joining the Pro14 is they're putting their players in the shop window for the Irish/Welsh/Scottish teams to pick up.

I'm sure the coaches and staff would have a fair degree of awareness of who's out there anyway, but seeing them in head-to-head encounters against NH sides gives you a much better degree of their quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Game is on sky sports mix for anybody who's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Playing the Kings three times a year and the home advantage will keep them reasonably competitive.

I'm not so sure. 8 of their games have had a single score in it at the end including 4 wins. Losing 10 of your starting 23 is going to have a significant impact on those tight results (Southern Kings don't feature in those 8 results).

I can see them dropping to 5th anyway next season and having a campaign closer to Connacht's this season than repeating their own performance. They're not only losing 10 players....they're largely losing their 10 best players. Anyone with a test cap is gone.

I'm not so sure. 8 of their games have had a single score in it at the end including 4 wins. Losing 10 of your starting 23 is going to have a significant impact on those tight results (Southern Kings don't feature in those 8 results).

I can see them dropping to 5th anyway next season and having a campaign closer to Connacht's this season than repeating their own performance. They're not only losing 10 players....they're largely losing their 10 best players. Anyone with a test cap is gone.

A positive spin: They will can pick up free agents Super Rugby in August. I notice some of their departures are going to Japan, perhaps they can get some of those players back once Top League ends in January.

They need to hope Grey College continues its production line, the number of Springboks that came through there is phenomenal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

As a positive for them, didn't they start the season with a split squad (for the Currie Cup) and effectively with no pre-season, so they should benefit from that next season.

Losing 10 of your starting 23 is massive tho.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it doesnt help that they are losing their head coach too, to worcester.

their old coach Franco Smith is already lined up to take over, so hopefully he can hover up some of the up and coming bokke bright lights before they are offered to super rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Yeah channel 121, took me a bit to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

To everyone with Sky, it's channel 121 as a previous poster mentioned, 121 is not in the actual sports channels menu

• Registered Users Posts: 31 skirteen

Yeah channel 121, took me a bit to find it.

Ridiculous place to hide a Sports channel, I was just about to go into panic mode!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Stupid Mix, not available on Sky Sports Mobile :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Stupid Mix, not available on Sky Sports Mobile

Go home quick

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Good news too for those of us on Virgin Media who haven't paid the premium for HD sports & movies, Sky Sports Mix HD is free.

kub wrote: »
    Go home quick
    Wouldn’t help :pac:

Sky sports Mobile tv + chromecast is a hell of a lot cheaper than regular Sky package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

who_me wrote: »
    Good news too for those of us on Virgin Media who haven't paid the premium for HD sports & movies, Sky Sports Mix HD is free.

What channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Strong scrum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Zebo got the wrong studs on or what. Twice he has lost his footing and been badly exposed.

Awful start from Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Who was it that shot up there? Have to hit your man if that's the decision you make in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Zebo got the wrong studs on or what. Twice he has lost his footing and been badly exposed.

Pitch is a disgrace though. Was it wet or did they soak the game prematch

• Advertisement

1. Ox Nche
    3. John "The Bull" Hayes

Make it happen Munster.

Advertisement