Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Critically panned films that are loved by many

Options
  • 05-04-2018 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

What films come to mind as critically panned (and generally deserving to be!) but yet are loved by many. For me the Fifty Shades of Grey films come readily to mind. They are considered trash by the critics and deserve their reputation but yet find an audience and are genuinely popular. I'm not a fan of these 3 films and they are among the worst films but are popular with many.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The greatest showman is a great recent example . Really won over people by good word of mouth , critics were not enthusiastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I don't know if these were popular with many but just a few people told me before that they thought they were good and they are not...White Chicks and Dude Wheres My Car!

And of course...Showgirls :pac: (ive actually never seen it) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Had a quick look..

I knew about Bright cos it was recent.

Equilibrium came out when scifi dystopia didn't feel as popular as now so that made sense to me.

I wasn't expecting Fear and Loathing

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bright/
    447426.jpg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/equilibrium/
    447427.jpg

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fear_and_loathing_in_las_vegas/
    447428.jpg

Last Action Hero and Waterworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Apocalypse Now was not liked by the critics at the time of its release. That is now all forgotten. Yes it is !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

quintana76 wrote: »
    Apocalypse Now was not liked by the critics at the time of its release. That is now all forgotten. Yes it is !

To roughly quote Tony Crawley in 1979 "Apocalypse Now opened Cannes this year after which they could have cancelled the rest of the festival".

Some disliked it but mainly because they didn't get it and regarded it as indulgently costly, rather than thinking it bad film. To accurately quote Roger Ebert from June 79
    "Apocalypse Now" is a good and important film -- a masterpiece, I believe. Years and years from now, when Coppola's budget and his problems have long been forgotten, "Apocalypse" will still stand, I think, as a grand and grave and insanely inspired gesture of filmmaking -- of moments that are operatic in their style and scope, and of other moments so silent we can almost hear the director thinking to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I think the OP is referring to movies that actually deserve the critical panning but are loved in spite of that.

The ultimate example for me is The Room. A monumentally terrible film but absolutely loved because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Anyone watch Forrest Gump recently its the most atrocious movie i have ever seen yet won Best Picture etc. I know I'm reversing the thread topic but what a stinker in every respect and Tom Hanks performance is puke inducing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Would mostly be films from my childhood that I'll still watch and enjoy them for half nostalgia/genuine entertainment felt. Hook being one example.

Wouldn't class Last Action Hero as such an example as I think history has already been kind to it. A head of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The Da Vinci Code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

To roughly quote Tony Crawley in 1979 "Apocalypse Now opened Cannes this year after which they could have cancelled the rest of the festival".

Some disliked it but mainly because they didn't get it and regarded it as indulgently costly, rather than thinking it bad film. To accurately quote Roger Ebert from June 79

Ebert was almost never wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

IMDB films scored over 8.5 with more than 250k votes.

51 movies in total.

You can't sort by Metascore (which I think is critic aggregate score) but there are a few in the 60s (not panned granted) - Leon, The Green Mile, Gladiator, Se7en, Fight Club, The Prestige and American History X.

Untouchable & Life Is Beautiful in the 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Would mostly be films from my childhood that I'll still watch and enjoy them for half nostalgia/genuine entertainment felt. Hook being one example.

Hook was the very first film I thought of when I read the OP, probably one of my favourite films as a child and was surprised to read only a few years ago that it wasn't as widely adored by critics on its release as it was by an 8 year old me :pac:

Hook was the very first film I thought of when I read the OP, probably one of my favourite films as a child and was surprised to read only a few years ago that it wasn't as widely adored by critics on its release as it was by an 8 year old me :pac:

That Christmas film with Jon Lithgow being a dastardly dick is another one I loved but never knew was panned. :pac: I'd still watch it if it came on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That Christmas film with Jon Lithgow being a dastardly dick is another one I loved but never knew was panned. I'd still watch it if it came on.

That was The Santa Claus Movie. Had Dudley Moore in it too. I enjoyed it as a kid too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm partial to Best of the Best with Eric Roberts, James Earl Jones and Chris Penn. Makes me cry every time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Anyone watch Forrest Gump recently its the most atrocious movie i have ever seen yet won Best Picture etc. I know I'm reversing the thread topic but what a stinker in every respect and Tom Hanks performance is puke inducing.

I loved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

valoren wrote: »
    I think the OP is referring to movies that actually deserve the critical panning but are loved in spite of that.

The ultimate example for me is The Room. A monumentally terrible film but absolutely loved because of it.

I didn't think op meant "so bad they're good" but critically panned films that are really bad and for some reason have a large following and are popular.

Forrest wasn't panned and for good reason.

Getting into the politics of it and trying to assess it by today's standards is a different story.

Better tuck that bitterness in, gonna get caught on a tripwire ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Waterworld.

Is Waterworld an underrated but flawed minor classic or the critically panned expensive flop it is known as? This and Kevin Costner's other one of the time The Postman are really frustrating as they have a good idea but are very flawed.

Would not call these 2 films loved. They are more hated I find and I cannot understand why Kevin Costner went from being a well respected actor and film maker to being shown no respect almost overnight. JFK, Field of Dreams, and especially Dances with Wolves were all very much respected whereas Wyatt Earp only got middling respect and Waterworld, The Postman, etc. none. The more lighthearted comedy Tin Cup is perhaps the only Costner film of the mid to late 1990s to get some love.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Predator 2. Slated by critics for years, but an instant cult classic for many fans.

Star Trek III The Search for Spock. Blamed by many for starting the 'odd number bad' view of Trek movies. These days it's rightly recognised as one of the better entries.

Rambo III. Virtually every critic hated it, but it made a fortune at the box office.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Despite all the critical slaughtering this movie continues to get, it continues to maintain a relatively high audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. (53%)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Oasis1974 wrote:

Ehh....Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Keplar240B wrote: »
    My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

Look at the feckin card that tells you what's in every type of chocolate!

Forests mother was as illiterate as he was

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hawk the Slayer. Not great reviews, but we wore out the tape from watching it so many times. "Voltan, you will die by my sword!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The Bruckheimer produced stuff from the late 90s comes to mind. Popcorn plots with top actors, sharp scripts and good direction :

Armageddon, The Rock, Con Air.

All have low to average critic scores but high audience scores on review aggregator websites.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show was panned on release but saved by an obsessive audience and subsequently reappraised.

Scarface similarly bombed with the critics, did moderately successful box office and became a VHS and DVD bestseller before being retrospectively viewed far more positively by critics. Interestingly Ebert was well out in front again and gave it 4/4 from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Alien 3. Specifically the assembly cut.

Fans tend to look favorably upon the assembly cut versus the theatrical version which is, in fairness, a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the good the bad and the ugly was apparently panned by critics

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Wedwood wrote: »
    Predator 2. Slated by critics for years, but an instant cult classic for many fans.

Star Trek III The Search for Spock. Blamed by many for starting the 'odd number bad' view of Trek movies. These days it's rightly recognised as one of the better entries.

Rambo III. Virtually every critic hated it, but it made a fortune at the box office.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Despite all the critical slaughtering this movie continues to get, it continues to maintain a relatively high audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. (53%)

I think 3 out of these 4 films are good. Rambo III of course being the one I would not consider good.

The Star Trek film is good but just not as good as The Wrath of Khan that went before it. Crystal Skull is underrated imo and has enough classic Indiana Jones material in it to make it interesting. It may not be as good as Raiders or Temple or Crusade but it is still very decent. Like the Star Wars prequels are not as good as the first 3 or the later ones, but they still are very enjoyable and underrated, so same with Crystal Skull. Predator 2 is an acquired taste but very good when you get into the spirit of it.

Rambo III is an insult to First Blood, a really great and intelligent film about the postwar treatment of good soldier John Rambo. First Blood aka Rambo 1 deserved better than the very biased US propaganda sequels that came after it. Rambo III = kill as many Russians as you can. Russia = bad, USA = good. In the era of the Iraq war and the current US regime with hardliners like Steve Bannon and John Bolton, it is unlikely Rambo III will gain any revision. Sure, there is great action here but there are other films with a more intelligent message with great action.

Advertisement