Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2018 thread - Mod warning post #3147

• 03-04-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so here we go, new calender, new format but will we have new winners ???

This congested calender could be a nightmare for TV as so many major games in both the hurling/football championship are on the same day/weekend.

I can imagine it will be a nightmare for some of the big guns to miss out on the super 8s through the qualifers but thats the way it goes

format

Round 1: All teams that fail to reach the semi-finals of their respective Provincial Championships (16 in total) compete in round one. An open draw system is used to divide the teams into eight individual match-ups. The winning eight teams progress to Round 2, while the losing eight teams are eliminated from the All Ireland Championship.

Round 2: Each of the eight winning teams of Round 1 are drawn against the eight losing teams from the semi-finals of the four Provincial Championships. The winning eight teams progress to Round 3, while the losing eight teams are eliminated from the All Ireland Championship.

Round 3: The eight winning teams from Round 2 are divided into four individual match-ups. An open draw is made to determine the four pairings. The winning four teams progress to Round 4, while the losing four teams are eliminated from the All Ireland Championship.

Round 4: Each of the four winning teams of Round 3 are drawn against the four losing teams from the finals of the four Provincial Championships. The winning four teams proceed to the All-Ireland Series, joining the four Provincial Champions, while the losing four teams are eliminated from the All Ireland Championship.

The All-Ireland Championship
    All-Ireland Super 8s: The four Provincial Champions and the winning four teams from Round 4 of the All-Ireland Qualifiers take part in a group stage that takes place in the months of July and August. The group stage is organised on a league basis with two groups of four teams, with each team playing the other three teams once. Each group consists of two Provincial Champions and two Round 4 Qualifier Winners. Each team plays one game in Croke Park, one home game and one away game. (In the case of Dublin, Croke Park is treated as the home stadium so they would play two games in Croke Park). The top two teams in both groups qualify for the All Ireland Semi Finals.

Group 1- Connacht Winners, Munster Winners, 2x Round 4 Winners
    Group 2- Ulster Winners, Leinster Winners, 2x Round 4 Winners

All-Ireland Semi Finals: The winner of group one plays the runner-up of group two and the winner of group two plays the runner-up of group one in two All-Ireland Semi Finals played over the course of one weekend.

Fixtures (going by Hoganstands fixtures, some could be wrong)
    Sunday 6 May
    Connacht SFC quarter-finals
    London v Sligo, Ruislip, TBC
    New York v Leitrim, Gaelic Park, TBC

Saturday 12 May
    Leinster SFC round 1
    Wexford v Laois, Innovate Wexford Park, 6.30pm

Sunday 13 May
    Connacht SFC quarter-final
    Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, TBC

Leinster SFC round 1
    Carlow v Louth, O'Moore Park, 2pm
    Offaly v Wicklow, O'Moore Park, 4pm

Ulster SFC first round
    Donegal v Cavan, Ballybofey, 4pm

Saturday 19 May
    Munster SFC quarter-finals
    Limerick v Clare, Gaelic Grounds, 7pm
    Tipperary v Waterford, Semple Stadium, 7pm

Ulster SFC quarter-final
    Fermanagh v Armagh, Brewster Park, 7pm

Sunday 20 May
    Ulster SFC quarter-final
    Tyrone v Monaghan, Healy Park, 4pm

Saturday 26 May
    Connacht SFC semi-final
    Roscommon v New York or Leitrim, TBC, TBC

Leinster SFC quarter-finals (TBC)
    Wexford or Laois v Westmeath, TBC, TBC
    Carlow or Louth v Kildare, TBC, TBC
    Offaly or Wicklow v Dublin, TBC, TBC
    Longford v Meath, Pearse Park, TBC

Ulster SFC quarter-final
    Down v Antrim, Pairc Esler, 7pm

Sunday 27 May
    Leinster SFC quarter-finals (TBC)
    Wexford or Laois v Westmeath, TBC, TBC
    Carlow or Louth v Kildare, TBC, TBC
    Offaly or Wicklow v Dublin, TBC, TBC
    Longford v Meath, Pearse Park, TBC

Ulster SFC quarter-final
    Derry v Donegal or Cavan, TBC, TBC

Saturday 2 June
    Munster SFC semi-final
    Kerry v Clare or Limerick, Fitzgerald Stadium, 7pm

Sunday 3 June
    Connacht SFC semi-final
    London or Sligo v Mayo or Galway, TBC, TBC

Munster SFC semi-final
    Cork v Tipperary or Waterford, Pairc Ui Chaoimh or Semple Stadium, 2pm

Ulster SFC semi-final
    Fermanagh or Armagh v Tyrone or Monaghan, TBC, 2pm

Saturday 9th June
    All Ireland Qualifers Round 1

Sunday 10 June
    Leinster SFC semi-finals
    Wexford or Laois or Westmeath v Carlow or Louth or Kildare, Croke Park, 2pm
    Offaly or Wicklow or Dublin or Longford or Meath, Croke Park, 4pm

Ulster SFC semi-final
    Donegal or Cavan or Derry v Down or Antrim, TBC, 4pm

Sunday 17 June
    Connacht SFC final

Saturday 23 June
    All Ireland Qualifers Round 2
    Munster SFC final

Sunday 24 June
    Leinster SFC final
    Ulster SFC final

Saturday 30 June
    All Ireland Qualifers Round 3

Sat/Sun 7th/8th July
    All Ireland Qualifers Round 4

Sat/Sun 14/15 July (TBC)
    Super 8 Round 1

Sat/Sun 21/22 July (TBC)
    Super 8 Round 2

Sat/Sun/Mon 4/5/6 Aug (TBC)
    Super 8 Round 3

Sat/Sun 11/12 Aug
    All Ireland Semi finals

Sunday 2nd September
    All Ireland Final

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I'm finding it borderline impossible to look past a 4th Dublin win in a row.

I think the Super 8's will only benefit them, gives them plenty of time to decide on their best 15 and the chances of now catching them on the hop in an actual knockout game would appear to be close to zero

I do think there's another push in Mayo this year but a record of 0/6 vs Dublin in their last 6 Championship meetings tells a story. They can match Dublin physically but small things like wayward passes and silly misses at crucial stages have been major factors in not getting over the line the past 2 years. Dublin are that bit more skillful, clinical and have better reserves on the bench

I think Kerry could well emerge as the main challenger this year, although it might be a year or two too early still. I think Clifford, McCarthy and O'Shea will give them more firepower up front, the main issue will be at the back as they were cut open so easily by Galway and Mayo last year. Imagine having JOD and Donaghy to come off the bench in a tight All Ireland semi/final

Tyrone had a great year last year and the semi result was probably a bit harsh on them, Dublin got an early goal and everything clicked for them. Tyrone have looked very settled as the league has gone on and Brennan is a huge asset up front. Probably don't have enough top forwards to win an All Ireland yet but if it turned into a year where the Dubs were ambushed they'd fancy themselves against anyone else

I think it's too early for Galway yet to be a realistic challenger, I expect Tyrone to see off Monaghan in Ulster, Donegal are slipping further and further into the pack, while Cork are in a real rebuilding period

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭laoisman11

It must be my rebellious streak that is hoping for a New York win in the first round of the Connacht championship - (if I have understood the structure correctly) this will mean that there will be 17 teams in Round 1 of the qualifiers and the whole system will be thrown into disarray....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

New York only play in Connacht championship to my knowledge so once they are knocked out of that (or win it) they don't participate any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Is there any separation of teams in the Super 8's? Could you end up with Dublin and three Ulster teams in group and Kerry and three Connacht teams in the other group?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As a Dubs fan, I certainly rank them high up there, but it's far from certain. Mayo twice in a row have been in touching distance and the age of their team notwithstanding they could do it this year. Kerry are probably a couple of years out from getting back to top form, but they have enough good up and coming players to potentially deliver a shock if they meet Dublin before the final.
    IMHO, Tyrone deliver good results through pure brute force, so they too could cause an upset, but only through injuring key players and provoking red cards.

The last 3 games have shown that either Galway are fielding a great team, or Dublin are a bit weaker. It's early season perhaps, but it would be great to see Galway touch the semi-finals rather than the big four fighting it out again.

I think if the semi finals see two teams who are not Mayo, Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone, or Donegal, then the super-8s will have proven a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is there any separation of teams in the Super 8's? Could you end up with Dublin and three Ulster teams in group and Kerry and three Connacht teams in the other group?

It depends who wins the Round 4 games. If all the provincial runners up win, then it will be one from each province in each of the two Groups. Any other results can mean various mixtures. Another less likely way to look at it is that Tyrone could be up against 3 Leinster teams, and Mayo v 3 from Munster.

Group 1 in the Super Eights will be made up of the Munster and Connacht champions, plus the beaten Ulster and Leinster finalists or the teams that beats them in round four of the qualifiers.

Group 2 will feature Leinster and Ulster champions plus Munster and Connacht runners-up or the qualifier teams that beats them in round four.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Of course its 'far from certain' that Dublin will win.

But in the past 2 or 3 years, Dublin have been odds on to win before the championship begins.

Thats very unusual.

I would think that Dublin this year are possibly not as strong? Why.

They seem to be losing a few critical players - it doesnt matter if he misses the first 8 months of the year, if Diarmuid Connolly can step up with crucial scores in the last 20 minutes of an AI final like he did last year, then he is one of Dublins most important players. Will he be there this year? Jack McCaffrey? Brogan?

These are really big players and I dont believe Dublin is replacing like with like.

Against that - who can challenge them. I dont think Kerry can. Mayo obviously potentially can. Galway? not sure. Tyrone? not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Does anybody know how the Super 8s will work in terms of fixtures?

Say for example in Group 1 you have Kerry, Galway, Donegal and Roscommon

And Group 2 you have Dublin, Tyrone, Tipperary and Mayo.

When are the home games, the away games and the neutral games? (obviously only applicable to Group 1)

I assume the Provincial Winners play each other in Croke Park and play the two qualifiers home and away.

So using the example of Group 1 above is it:

Week 1 Super 8s: Kerry v Donegal in Killarney. Galway v Roscommon in Salthill
    Week 2 Super 8s: Roscommon v Kerry in Hyde Park. Donegal v Galway in Ballybofey.
    Week 3 Super 8s: Kerry v Galway. Donegal v Roscommon in Croke Park.

Provincial champ v Provincial champ and Qualifier v Qualifier = Croke Park

Provincial champ v qualifier = home/away.

I think there must be a draw for home/away in the Provincial champ v qualifier games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Of course its 'far from certain' that Dublin will win.

But in the past 2 or 3 years, Dublin have been odds on to win before the championship begins.

Thats very unusual.

I would think that Dublin this year are possibly not as strong? Why.

They seem to be losing a few critical players - it doesnt matter if he misses the first 8 months of the year, if Diarmuid Connolly can step up with crucial scores in the last 20 minutes of an AI final like he did last year, then he is one of Dublins most important players. Will he be there this year? Jack McCaffrey? Brogan?

These are really big players and I dont believe Dublin is replacing like with like.

Against that - who can challenge them. I dont think Kerry can. Mayo obviously potentially can. Galway? not sure. Tyrone? not sure.

I think Basquel will be more of a valuable player for Dublin this year, than Brogan last year. And McCaffrey seems well on course to be back by the Super 8s.

Scully will probably be a more important player for them this year and Howard is another solid addition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

rossie1977 wrote: »
    New York only play in Connacht championship to my knowledge so once they are knocked out of that (or win it) they don't participate any further.

That's why he's hoping they win as the qualifier draw is based on NY losing and not going into qualifiers.
    If they win then the team they beat will go into the qualifiers meaning 17 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

jr86 wrote: »
    I think Basquel will be more of a valuable player for Dublin this year, than Brogan last year. And McCaffrey seems well on course to be back by the Super 8s.

Scully will probably be a more important player for them this year and Howard is another solid addition

Scully, Howard, Basquel etc are just in their 1st or 2nd season of inter county football. It is far too early to say whether they are (or will be) as good as the likes of Brogan, Flynn or McCaffrey who have been around for years. It is not fair to expect them to be as good as some of the all time greats, so soon into their own inter county careers. Brogan and Flynn themselves, needed time to grow into the roles that they later assumed for Dublin. They weren't pulling up too many trees when they were young lads of 22/23. They needed time to grow and develop, as do the current crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

A positive thing regarding this Dublin crop, both forward and back - is that a wide variety of them step up the plate. In a review of the league I saw Jonny Cooper described as 'the outstanding defender' in GAA at the moment. At different times in the past five years, the 'outstanding defender' of the moment in GAA has been Jack McCaffrey, James McCarthy, PhillyMcMahon, Rory O'Carroll etc etc.....They dont depend on one player delivering year in year out the same way Mayo would with Keegan for example.

(In other words, Dublin has more strength in depth....am I really making that point......:o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    A positive thing regarding this Dublin crop, both forward and back - is that a wide variety of them step up the plate. In a review of the league I saw Jonny Cooper described as 'the outstanding defender' in GAA at the moment. At different times in the past five years, the 'outstanding defender' of the moment in GAA has been Jack McCaffrey, James McCarthy, PhillyMcMahon, Rory O'Carroll etc etc.....They dont depend on one player delivering year in year out the same way Mayo would with Keegan for example.

(In other words, Dublin has more strength in depth....am I really making that point......:o)

Its a very valid point but using Mayo as a comparison is a little unfair on Mayo, Mayo have never struggled at that end of the field and the likes of Keegan, Boyle and Higgins compare favourably with any of the top teams including Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Obviously the quarter final groups mean that this is going to be a very different season, the most different one since the introduction of the back door in 2001.

Based on the provincial draws half of the following Div 1 and Div 2 teams will be looking at 4 to 5 games to get to the quarterfinal group stages, Mayo, Galway, Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal, Cavan, Cork , Tipp.
    You can also add Clare to that, as I’d expect them to lose to Kerry in Killarney.

I’d expect Kildare to make it to the Leinster final via the half of the draw that does not include Dublin.

Roscommon have a similar luxury in Connacht.

Added to that there is no A and B side of the qualifier draw this year so Mayo or Galway or Tyrone or Monaghan or Donegal or Cavan could all meet each other in the first round.

The winners of that could meet Cork or Tipp or Clare in the second round and all again could meet each other in the third round.

So a team like Galway could have the following schedule to get to the quarters.
    V Mayo (Connacht)
    V Donegal (QF1)
    V Cork (QF2)
    V Tyrone (QF3)
    V Monaghan (QF4)

What it has actually done is enhanced the value of a provincial final spot. Because with a provincial spot you only have one game to get to the quarter finals.

And as far as I know there is ample time between provincial championship finals and fourth round qualifies for team to regroup, no six day turn around.

And then you have the quarter final groups themselves
    Group A – Connacht, Munster, Ulster loser/qualifier, Leinster loser/qualifier.
    Group B - Leinster, Ulster, Connacht loser/qualifier, Munster loser/qualifier.

If you are the Connacht or Munster loser do you fancy your chances of coming second in the group containing Dublin, thus having a chance to play Dublin early and avoiding Dublin in the SF, I’d imagine that would not be too daunting for the like of Mayo or Galway.

I don’t think it’s possible to predict the 4 non champions that will end up in the groups because there is a hell of a lot of twist and turns to get to that point

According to an email I got this morning, Round 1 of the Super 8s on July 14 and 15 will all be on in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BPKS wrote: »
    According to an email I got this morning, Round 1 of the Super 8s on July 14 and 15 will all be on in Croke Park.

From where?

If I am reading the schedule here correctly, then that has already been decided.

Two games in Croke Park between Connacht and Munster champions, and the other two from Group 1 on 14/15 July. That would also mean Group 2 games away from Croke Park would be on the same date(s).

The way it's written, it could be stand alone games on Saturday and/or Sunday, or double headers? I expect it would be a stand alone game for Dublin if they get there. Dublin would also play their home game against a qualifier in Croke Park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship#All-Ireland_Super_8

If I am reading the schedule here correctly, then that has already been decided.

Two games in Croke Park between Connacht and Munster champions, and the other two from Group 1 on 14/15 July. That would also mean Group 2 games away from Croke Park would be on the same date(s).

The way it's written, it could be stand alone games on Saturday and/or Sunday, or double headers? I expect it would be a stand alone game for Dublin if they get there. Dublin would also play their home game against a qualifier in Croke Park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_All-Ireland_Senior_Football_Championship#All-Ireland_Super_8

I don't think Dublin have had a standalone Quarter Final this decade, and they won't have this year either.

I don't think Dublin have had a standalone Quarter Final this decade, and they won't have this year either.

It is left open by having a possibility of the fixtures being on Saturday and/or Sunday. If it is Dublin v Tyrone (or even Donegal, Armagh or Cavan), and two other big rivals in the other game, it might be the best solution.

• Advertisement

I'm almost certain there was one a few years back... on a BH Monday...

Gimme a sec.

EDIT: Yup.

Startled earwigs game was on a BH Monday and

Saturday, 6 August 2011 v Tyrone; we won 0-22 - 0-15

I'm almost certain there was one a few years back... on a BH Monday...

Gimme a sec.

EDIT: Yup.

Startled earwigs game was on a BH Monday and

Saturday, 6 August 2011 v Tyrone; we won 0-22 - 0-15

Startled earrings was way back in 2009.

Dublin have been part of a few full house double headers for quarter finals on Saturday evenings recently, but there has never been a question of a standalone fixture.

They will of course have a standalone fixture in Croke Park in their Dublin (Home) v Qualifier (Away) game.

Startled earrings was way back in 2009.

It was indeed. And just to remind you that it was a stand alone game.

Like the 2011 one v Tyrone, this decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

For the Super 8's will Dublin play 2 games in Croke Park or will they play their home game in Parnell Park?

cocoman wrote: »
    For the Super 8's will Dublin play 2 games in Croke Park or will they play their home game in Parnell Park?

The link I posted says it will be Croke Park. It also adds this bit of information.

Dublin have not played a Championship game in Parnell Park, their nominal home, since the 2004 Championship.

From where?

Kerry Lotto. It said Bonus prize of tickets to
    all Round 1 games of Super 8s on in croke park on those dates.

It was indeed. And just to remind you that it was a stand alone game.

Like the 2011 one v Tyrone, this decade.

But the point t is that Dublin will not have a standalone QF because the crowd does not warrant it and the crowd has not warranted since 2011, which is coincidently before their current run of 5 All Ireland's in 7 seasons.

BPKS wrote: »
    Kerry Lotto. It said Bonus prize of tickets to
    all Round 1 games of Super 8s on in croke park on those dates.

Yerra, only in Kerry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Dont agree at all, the Super 8's have placed a far higher premium on getting to/winning a provincial final. Look at the Galway/Mayo and the Tipp/Cork games, they are now massive and the loosers are in big trouble.

Advertisement