Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mechanic for Classic BMW 5 Series

• 02-04-2018 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi all,

Anyone any recommendations for a mechanic to work on an E28 BMW 5 Series (1986) in the Dublin area? Any classic Beamer owners out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭scannerd

What kind of work do you need done? If mechanical motor confidence in parkwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DublinGuy40

head gasket, fluids, hoses and belts, tyres, water & fuel pumps, full service

try Motor confidence or Straffan Motors

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Which E28 model is it? Nice cars! Any pictures? If doing the head gasket its also worth resetting the valve clearances especially on the 6 cylinders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Which E28 model is it? Nice cars! Any pictures? If doing the head gasket its also worth resetting the valve clearances especially on the 6 cylinders.

Valve clearances are usually a service time job, but if you have the head off for a new gasket and skim, I can't see how you could possibly get away with not doing them! :pac: :D

Do you mean the valve seats? Yeah, I would. When I did mine, I had the seats 3-angle cut and new stem seals. The guides were OK.

...or is it the the rocker cover gasket??

1988 525e Lux Auto 2.7L. I am looking at buying it but needs work so trying to figure out costs etc. Very new to classic cars and to be honest not much knowledge about mechanics but always wanted one of these beautiful BMWs.

if its your first classic, and you don't have experience, i would go for something needing less work. i'll bet what you listed is only 50% of what will be needed. There is lots to choose from so take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Motor confidence would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Clandillon Motors near Celbridge also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

PauloMN wrote: »

Costs, bear in mind you want to refresh everything whilst your in there. You wont see much change from €1000 on a head gasket job. Speaking from experience. Although I did replace all pipes whilst in there, water pump etc etc.

Yes thats the one. Its a project. Need to go see it. It needs a lot of work and tlc, but worth saving I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

The "Magnificent 7" looks like it could be a better buy IMHO (without seeing them and if you're not set on an E28). As miller_63 says above, a head gasket job can get expensive.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/bmw-magnificent-7/18040379

ah yes ive seen that one too. I really would love an E28 and I really dont mind a project and investing some money if the price is right. Dont need something on the road right away.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yes thats the one. Its a project. Need to go see it. It needs a lot of work and tlc, but worth saving I reckon.

Yep it could be depending on price. Whatever about the obvious stuff like the head gasket and tyres etc., a viewing will reveal a lot as the bodywork could be poor if it's been left lying around for a while. It's hard to tell from the pictures but looks like there might be rust around the filler cap and some rust on the chrome bumpers. Front valance under the bumper looks a bit of a mess also with broken lights and dents. The bodywork could total more than the mechanical work.

No harm in viewing it though, condition under the bonnet can tell a lot about these cars - check the two trays at the front (batter tray and ABS unit tray which will probably be empty as no ABS in most of them). Those are common rust points. Underneath the air vents on bonnet also. Arches, sills and door bottoms as per any car, take a good luck at them all.

For what it's worth, I have the exact same car - same engine etc. - so if you want a yardstick to compare it against, you're more than welcome to see mine.

Edit: meant to add it's still on UK plates, not sure if that could be a headache with VRT fines etc..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had some good work done by this crowd on a couple of occasions.
    http://www.dunlaoghairemotorworx.ie/

It wasn't on a beemer, but we spoke about some of the cars he was working on and one of them was a glorious 5-series with all the bells and whistles that he'd more or less rebuilt. I saw it and it was a piece of work.

Worth a call maybe if it's local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

you might have checked its mot history already.....

failed a mot test in 2008 on a number of items including:

Offside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

Nearside Inner Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

it then passed a few weeks later, just make sure it wasn't just patched up to pass the test.

definitely need to get it up on up on a lift if u are considering buying it... money well spent getting it checked.

Dades wrote: »
    I had some good work done by this crowd on a couple of occasions.
    http://www.dunlaoghairemotorworx.ie/

It wasn't on a beemer, but we spoke about some of the cars he was working on and one of them was a glorious 5-series with all the bells and whistles that he'd more or less rebuilt. I saw it and it was a piece of work.

Worth a call maybe if it's local to you.

Thanks so much, this is local. Do you remember a name?

supervento wrote: »
    you might have checked its mot history already.....

failed a mot test in 2008 on a number of items including:

Offside Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

Nearside Inner Rear Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)

it then passed a few weeks later, just make sure it wasn't just patched up to pass the test.

definitely need to get it up on up on a lift if u are considering buying it... money well spent getting it checked.

Thanks for all the advice. yes I looked up the history already. There are a lot of questions over this car so will pay to have it looked over. I want to invest time and money in a car, but don't want to end up bankrupt! lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thanks so much, this is local. Do you remember a name?
    Yep - the owner on the website, Alan, is who I dealt with.

If local, definitely worth a call to see if they might be interested in the work you have to do.

Dades wrote: »
    Yep - the owner on the website, Alan, is who I dealt with.

If local, definitely worth a call to see if they might be interested in the work you have to do.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Your going to be 2 grand more into the car just for what you listed plus the "usual"unforeseen expenses.trust me,ive been running classic bmers the last 8 years,they are not cheep motors to own.i do all my own work so dont need to be paying labour.i think they are worth it though and yes any e28 is worth saving imo.go in to it with your eyes open though.i would plan a complete resto if budget is there.a small price for this would be 5-10 grand.make sure your starting with a solid car first and foremost.

Thanks for all the advice guys, its greatly appreciated.

Advertisement