Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales vs France

Options
  • 16-03-2018 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭

The first bit is, like Eddie Jones' sister, dead easy :)
    Screen-Shot-2018-02-18-at-13.44.45.png

Wales: Halfpenny, North, Williams, Parkes, Williams, Biggar, Davies; R Evans, Owens, Francis, Hill, Jones (capt), Tipuric, Navidi, Faletau.

Replacements: Dee, Smith, Lee, B Davies, Shingler, A Davies, Anscombe, S Evans.

France: Fall, Fickou, Bastareaud (capt), Doumayrou, Grosso, Trinh-Duc, Machenaud; Poirot, Pelissie, Gomes Sa, Gabrillagues, Vahaamahina, Lauret, Camara, Tauleigne.

Replacements: Chat, Priso, Slimani, Le Roux, Babillot, Couilloud, Beauxis, Palis.

Preview. Earlier on today, we sent our intrepid reporter into the Leek and Croissant, Cardiff, for a in depth interview with the two coaches. Here's what they had to say....

On Eddie Jones's comments.

WG; There's no point in trash talking the Irish. I'v been doing it for years now and it does bugger all good.
    JB; He makes nice jeans.

On today's game.

WG; With a good result today we can still win the Grand Slam. And stuff.
    JB; With a good result today, we can actually win the toss. And if we don't, sure one of our clubs will probably buy several tosses until we win one.
    WG; Their captain is a bastard. And their bench, I can't spell half of them and I'm pretty good at Scrabble.
    JB; Their coach is one too. And my bench, well I can't spell half of them either.

On the forthcoming World Cup.

JB; I need to tighten up my squad.
    WG; I need to tighten up my contract, in case they replace me with Neil Jenkins.

On the season just gone.

WG; Sure it's all a fix anyway. A bit like the RWC 2023 host nation selection.
    JB; The clubs are happy to have it over. All their good players are knackered and want their reserves back off of me.
    JB; So does this place serve beer?
    WG; Just Brains.
    JB; And you have the neck to give out about onion soup.
    WG; You've clearly never had a pint of Brains before.
    JB; I'll pass on le offer; you need plenty of it yourself.
    WG; Shut your frog laced mouth. Just because you beat England last week doesn't give you the right to slag us off.
    JB; Misseur Gatlund, we did see off the Pommes in style, oui oui.

On cartoon characters.

WG; What's the story with yer man Asterisk? Is he related to Serge Blanco?

mpasterixfhy

JB Two words. Super Ted.

WG; Landlord, two pints please. And Cognac chasers please...
    Landlord; Get out before I call a peeler....
    j06_119.jpg

Verdict. After two insipid seasons from two fairly flat teams, two flat gun teams need to do something and fast in what is a paper led limp end to the season. France probably showed more guile when they almost beat Ireland in Paris, and in their win in Twickers.

Wales probably look back to two TMO calls that could have gone their way; frankly I'm shocked that Warren G isn't still moaning about them to this day. A bit like how we moan about Wales in general, but I digress. Anyway, Wales have called up some fresh blood which should confuse assistant referee Wayne Barnes, not that he needs much confuse him at the best of times.
    960.jpg

France have moved Benji Fall to full back, a move that will strike fear into the away fans. JB has opted to select Mathieu Basteraeud as his captain. Given their past history in Cardiff, this is probably part of his suspension from earlier on this season. Of course, there are no gay people in Wales so he shouldn't come to any harm.
    daffyd_1512701c.jpg

So the result? France to break le duck, 28-19, a lot of sour grapes and hard cheese and Max Boyce to be put back on ice along with both teams hopes for 2019. Not that any of us will give a shoite, sure we'll all be drunk out of our tits given the days that's in it :)

Comments

I am utterly confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I am utterly confused.
    I think that's the point of this game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Even though this game is utterly pointless, I salute Losty’s preview!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

At least he has done his preview. Unlike that useless Syd fella.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,061 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    At least he has done his preview. Unlike that useless Syd fella.

Just waiting for ultimate rugby to do their 'line up' pic so I can cut and paste ;)

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just waiting for ultimate rugby to do their 'line up' pic so I can cut and paste ;)

I have no doubt that Joe browses the first few pages of the match thread as a final check to see if he has missed anything or to glean any useful insights about the opposition from the write up.

It's probably so late now that he won't have time.

If we lose tomorrow it's Syd's fault.

Thanks Syd.

I have no doubt that Joe browses the first few pages of the match thread as a final check to see if he has missed anything or to glean any useful insights about the opposition from the write up.

It's probably so late now that he won't have time.

If we lose tomorrow it's Syd's fault.

Thanks Syd.

Its alright venj, he was already into me this morning to spit ball a few issues and I put him at ease. Nae bother.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its alright venj, he was already into me this morning to spit ball a few issues and I put him at ease. Nae bother.

You might want to reconsider your phraseology there chuck...!

You might want to reconsider your phraseology there chuck...!

the phrase is good, its your mind thats warpped ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Losty appears to have used geocities to make his preview post.

Wonderfully mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Think this is an intriguing match even though there is nothing tangible to win for either team.

France have improved every match, even though they're still looking disorganised beyond a couple of phases it certainly appears that Brunel has got them playing for each other and a happy confident France is a dangerous beast. They still have their shortcomings, fitness being one of them, the Welsh setup and style of play even with Biggar in the team is to play a high tempo expansive game and with the pack they have chosen I am sure they will look to move France around.

Saying that the French pack worries me in that we could end up as we did against Ireland and get punished by pick and drive and recycling the ball if we stand off and dont compete at the breakdown. I think the backrow picked however will certainly have the ability and nous to slow down french ball and hopefully frustrate them. Faletau last week was impressive on first game back from injury showing glimpses of why he is the probably the best 8 in the NH. Another week on and I expect another step up from him.

Wales are not a million miles away from where they want to be. They look to go wide at almost any opportunity (to their detriment at times), the accuracy has certainly improved, in the past Wales have been really guilty of butchering chances (similar to Scotland last week!) but there has been a clinical edge this year. They have also improved their squad depth no end which all bodes well for 2019.

All in all I think this will be a high scoring game, both teams have nothing to lose but a lot to gain in confidence in their style of play (Wales) or just not being crap (France :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I am utterly confused.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

TV3 only showing second half of this game as they are showing presentation of 6N trophy to Ireland. First half live on 3e.

Ah, they actually are bothering to play this after all :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

France continuing with the comedy show from last week. The PlayStation freeze glitch for the opening Welsh try and Fickou summiting a pass into touch were the highlights so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Are tv3 even showing this game? Turned over and it was Stringer reporting from Twickers.

It's on 3e

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

It's on 3e
    Just saw that. Was watching BBC anyway, just wanted to see who was commentating.

Just saw that. Was watching BBC anyway, just wanted to see who was commentating.

I'd say that the girls off of X-Pose, Martin King and Al Porter are commentating.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

McNamara (ugh) with Mike Ruddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Peregrine wrote: »
    McNamara (ugh) with Mike Ruddock.

McNamara seems more suited to circus announcer.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »
    McNamara seems more suited to circus announcer.

I'd have said circus ticket seller meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Who is reffing this

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Who is reffing this

Ben O'Keefe of New Zealand. He was one of the ARs against Scotland last week.

This match is a demonstration of ineptitude

Some Welsh fans on Twitter saying they left because they can't see the game because people constantly going to and from the bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Some Welsh fans on Twitter saying they left because they can't see the game because people constantly going to and from the bars

I've experienced that at the Aviva in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Bit of a cripple fight. Neither side seems that interested in winning.

The only one in Cardiff who's having a good game is Eddie Butler, and that's some performance given that he has to carry Davies and Moore today.

This is so dull from france

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Bastareaud is so good at the breakdown.

Advertisement