Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish brewery of the year 2017

• 31-12-2017 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So who gets it?

Brewery of the year 60 votes

Eight degrees
    0%
    White hag
    8%
    ciaran76poitinstillrayquinn1Sue Pa Key PaPatPortley 5 votes
    Galway bay
    10%
    Basqaaronm13shanec1928QuacksterOldMrBrennan83DelmarODonnell 6 votes
    Whiplash
    1%
    gandalf 1 vote
    Kinnegar
    33%
    Krusty_ClownGristlyEndfeylyamatrimdonnachaPassengerFall_GuyLiamo08SlipperyPeopleMonkstownHoopneilthefunkeonecalnandsnowblindOldBeanianob7HopsAndJumpsTrondBeersmithandekwarholaChuppa Siopa 20 votes
    Yellowbelly
    25%
    RasTaL1011randomname2005adrian522SklarkerwrithenCiarrai76illdoit2morrowClashCityRockerCatmologenthemandan6611Losty DublinHa Long Bays3rtvdbwfj81chthereality 15 votes
    Dot
    13%
    Brian CivilEnglord lucanbennyobthe beer revoluThundercats Hobrilou23Son0vagunFCB1899 8 votes
    Rye river
    0%
    Wicklow wolf
    8%
    kindalen[Deleted User]emcocollie0708TheChosenOne_ 5 votes
    Other
    0%

Comments

Wicklow wolf
    I'm going to say Rye River for number of products.

Doubling Banging was a great additon.
    Big Banging is close to my favourite IPA and then you have the Grafters and Crafty Brewing offers.

I love Kinnegar Crossroads, Full Sail etc but I think Rye have a good catalogue of good value products.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Kinnegar
    Whiplash for me. Not on your list but you should also give honourable mentions to Hope, Rascals and Trouble Brewing

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

The Yellowbelly Citra Pale Ale is excellent, they also have some decent sours out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yellowbelly
    matrim wrote: »
    Whiplash for me. Not on your list but you should also give honourable mentions to Hope, Rascals and Trouble Brewing

I knew I forgot a few. I'll add them now. Although it won't let me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Trouble was mine. A foot in both the "ordinary daycent beer" camp, and the "omg awesome craft" one. Something for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Whiplash or Rascals, but I'd say Rascals just edge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Kinnegar
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Whiplash or Rascals, but I'd say Rascals just edge it.

Same, whiplash edged it just imo. Honorable mention to Trouble Brewing as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Rascals should have been on this list. I think they edged it this year. Yellowbelly always interesting while Rye River deserves credit for a steady quality of beers, esp in the crafty range. For the price, they knock some of the top shelf breweries for six.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Trouble Brewing FTW

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No Kinsale? World's End alone is worth a vote.
    West Cork Brewery is also excellent.

• Advertisement

Yellowbelly
    Yeah I forgot loads, things ye do when waiting for your train in Brewdock.

Trouble has two and Rascals with one.

Tis tight at the top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Blair Embarrassed Pretzel

Yellowbelly
    I voted for Kinnegar, but would have voted for Rascals had they been on the list.

Yellowbelly
    I voted for Kinnegar, but would have voted for Rascals had they been on the list.

Noted. Just hit other and say the name. I wonder if we will hit 50 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Blut2

Rascals. Their 8:01 Mint Chocolate Stout and Coconut/Vanilla/Chocolate Milkshake stout are both fabulous, and completely different to everything else on the market. A nice breath of fresh air in the sea of IPAs out there currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Kinnegar
    Whiplash for me ! I'm a divil for the DIPA's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Kinnegar
    O'Brother, another glaring omission. Some outstanding releases. Brutus, Bonita, Joe, Nightcrawler and more...

Yellowbelly
    I can't believe the worst brewery in Ireland are 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jefferson73

Rascals without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Passenger

Kinnegar
    RasTa wrote: »
    I can't believe the worst brewery in Ireland are 2nd.

But it looks like you voted for them. :confused:

Yellowbelly
    Passenger wrote: »
    But it looks like you voted for them. :confused:

Whoops, in 3rd.

Just back from the brewery tour in the best brewery in Ireland whom sit in 2nd. Impressive place. Almost in Letterkenny town now.

• Advertisement

Yellowbelly
    Rascals, White Hag and 8 Degrees all on 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Kinnegar
    Whiplash for me although Rascals brought out some good stuff too.

If you technically lumped in Whiplash with the Rye River stable (Grafters IPA and Pale Ale, Crafty IPA, Francis; Double and Little Banging IPA and the Export Stout), you'd have a pretty strong range. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dot
    Whiplash for me although Rascals brought out some good stuff too.

If you technically lumped in Whiplash with the Rye River stable (Grafters IPA and Pale Ale, Crafty IPA, Francis; Double and Little Banging IPA and the Export Stout), you'd have a pretty strong range. :pac:

Whiplash didn't make all their beer @ Rye River and he no longer works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Kinnegar
    top 5
    Whiplash: most consistent (tied with kinnegar) and best highs (the DIPAs, the Imp Stout). The only Irish brewery who can do 3 different DIPAs that showcase different hops in such a way
    Kinnegar: see above, though with less interesting lineup in general than whiplash
    Dot Brewing: Doing good things with barrels and not overdoing it. Base beers could be better & the flavours are a bit on the sweet side - get some mixed culture in them and I'll be laughing.
    Rascals: Trying a lot of things, usually resulting in OK or pretty good results.
    Trouble: Ambush is a decent staple, Fresh Prince of Kildare was good first time around, did a pretty good saison too. Consistency and/or quality control issues are pretty bad though. Voodoo Maple Imp Stout, looking at you, did anyone like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Kinnegar
    snowblind wrote: »
    top 5
    Whiplash: most consistent (tied with kinnegar) and best highs (the DIPAs, the Imp Stout). The only Irish brewery who can do 3 different DIPAs that showcase different hops in such a way
    Kinnegar: see above, though with less interesting lineup in general than whiplash
    Jinxed it, new batch of Big Bunny is malt forward golden brown bready mess, and I loved the 2017 batches

Yellowbelly
    snowblind wrote: »
    Jinxed it, new batch of Big Bunny is malt forward golden brown bready mess, and I loved the 2017 batches

Thought the same myself. I'd say it's new brewery stuff. Whiplash had a problem with one of their beers too and had to be dumped.

Advertisement