Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 - Ballaghaderreen to Scramoge [construction to commence shortly]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Truckermal wrote: »
    Jesus would you look at the cut of the place! I've passed through the kip thousands of times and the thought of stopping there is the last thing on my mind!

Now Tarmonbarry is different especially Keenans for the grub!

In a few years it'll just be Tarmonbarry, Bohola and Bellavary between Dublin and Westport if I'm right.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Big Nasty wrote: »
    +1 Keenans is a fine spot as is the Purple Onion next door. Never stopped in Strokestown in my 10 years travelling to Mayo.

Any word on when they hope to start work on it? Considering there'll be CBO's involved it probably won't be completed for another 5 years.

Won't be opened until 2024 at the earliest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Never stopped in Strokestown in my 10 years travelling to Mayo.

The only things anyone has ever stopped in Strokestown for were petrol, to buy questionable origin power tools on market day, or to go to the hotel for food. Not many did any!

Used to go to the hotel for food myself the odd time, decent and cheap enough but not like it attracted huge volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Fantastic news, the sooner they are built the better, I cant count the times I forget about one of the towns thinking I'm almost through when ballinagar presents its depressing rows of never occupied shops and dire atmosphere.

It's no fault of these towns, they were once an important part of the route when we had horses to feed. Time has moved on, the "loss" of business is not the motorists concern or responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

marno21 wrote: »
    Won't be opened until 2024 at the earliest.

Unfortunately.... Now definately is the time to be lobbying local TDs for a dual carriage way on this section. Every section of the N5 upgraded going from Castlebar is getting narrower and narrower. Theres a decent shoulder on the road from Castlebar to the east point of the Swinford bypass (completed circa 95), the next section Charlestown to west of Ballaghadreen was narrower, not enough broken white lines and straights to pass (2007/2008). The last section Ballaghadreen (2013), even narrower a whore of a hill and no climbing lanes... Disapointing to say the least... It's fine to say its designed to be upgradable in the future to dual carriageway standard. Spend the few bob now and give us the comfort now, not in our childrens time... This government should be looking back at all the lost oppertunities over the past 10 years that they werent capitalising on lower construction cost and high unemployment levels to get these infrastructure projects complete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

In a few years it'll just be Tarmonbarry, Bohola and Bellavary between Dublin and Westport if I'm right.

Ballinalack & Rathowen

D Trent wrote: »
    Ballinalack & Rathowen

Apologies, I meant Longford-Westport !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Bohola is already bypassed.

Unfortunately.... Now definately is the time to be lobbying local TDs for a dual carriage way on this section. Every section of the N5 upgraded going from Castlebar is getting narrower and narrower. Theres a decent shoulder on the road from Castlebar to the east point of the Swinford bypass (completed circa 95), the next section Charlestown to west of Ballaghadreen was narrower, not enough broken white lines and straights to pass (2007/2008). The last section Ballaghadreen (2013), even narrower a whore of a hill and no climbing lanes... Disapointing to say the least... It's fine to say its designed to be upgradable in the future to dual carriageway standard. Spend the few bob now and give us the comfort now, not in our childrens time... This government should be looking back at all the lost oppertunities over the past 10 years that they werent capitalising on lower construction cost and high unemployment levels to get these infrastructure projects complete.

This scheme will be built to the same standard as the Ballaghaderren bypass. It will be all at grade with 3(?) major junctions (roundabouts) and all minor roads will cross the new road at staggered at grade T junctions. There will be no road bridges or grade separated junctions.

This road will carry between 3,500 and 5,000 vehicles daily. It'll be one of the quietest stretches of national primary road nationwide. What's being built is more than sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

L1011 wrote: »
    The only things anyone has ever stopped in Strokestown for were petrol, to buy questionable origin power tools on market day, or to go to the hotel for food. Not many did any!

Used to go to the hotel for food myself the odd time, decent and cheap enough but not like it attracted huge volumes.

Got turned away from the doors of the Hotel in mid 2005 approx because i was in a van.. And precived to be a member of the travelling community.. Needless to say Feericks and other establishments along the route get my money since.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got turned away from the doors of the Hotel in mid 2005 approx because i was in a van.. And precived to be a member of the travelling community.. Needless to say Feericks and other establishments along the route get my money since.

I only ever drove a van!

It had serial financial issues since so I'd imagine there isn't anyone in management now that was there five years ago even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yes, and it is such a kip they will bypass it again.

Actually, the above is not fair, I was thinking of balavary, the people of Bohola actually seem to take pride in its appearance

Bohola is to be rebypassed as part of the N5/N26/N58 project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Wouldn't call it a bypass if all traffic in all directions must go down to a 60km/h limit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Truckermal wrote: »
    Jesus would you look at the cut of the place! I've passed through the kip thousands of times and the thought of stopping there is the last thing on my mind!

Now Tarmonbarry is different especially Keenans for the grub!

Keenans for grub? All that's on the menu is beef six ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

This scheme will be built to the same standard as the Ballaghaderren bypass. It will be all at grade with 3(?) major junctions (roundabouts) and all minor roads will cross the new road at staggered at grade T junctions. There will be no road bridges or grade separated junctions.
    That's hardly the same standard as the Ballaghaderreen bypass then, which has bridges for all crossing minor roads. I'd worry about crossing traffic at those staggered junctions. It can be a problem on the N5 around Swinford.

Looking at Bohola on the map, it's a wonder it wasn't bypassed back in the day as part of P Flynn's N5 works

plodder wrote: »
    That's hardly the same standard as the Ballaghaderreen bypass then, which has bridges for all crossing minor roads. I'd worry about crossing traffic at those staggered junctions. It can be a problem on the N5 around Swinford.

Looking at Bohola on the map, it's a wonder it wasn't bypassed back in the day as part of P Flynn's N5 works

I mean same standard in terms of road alignment and lane width.

The traffic levels on this road are low enough to justify the at grade junctions. Bohola was relief realigned a while back which would've been considered sufficient back in the day. The rebypassing is many years away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

Surprised to hear people still giving out about bypasses in this day and age. Strokestown is close enough to the new road and people will still visit the house imo, whatever about stopping for other purposes. In twenty years driving up and down there, I don't remember ever stopping in it, except to visit the house. If anything, Tulsk looks quite isolated from the new road, though that's obviously because of the need to keep clear of Rathcroghan. It's a rotten stretch of road though. Will be glad to see the back of it.

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Embarrassing stuff

Hardly.
    Locals are worried about the impact it may have on their town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

paulbok wrote: »
    Hardly.
    Locals are worried about the impact it may have on their town.

:rolleyes: I think the cost benefit analysis wouldn't be in their favor in the slightest.

Imagine the locals on the N20 appealing the new motorway..it would be laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

markodaly wrote: »
    2021 at the absolute earliest. It needs planning approval, advance works, before a tender can be put in place. I would say 2021, assuming, likely so, that it's included in the new 10 year capital investment plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

2021 at the absolute earliest. It needs planning approval, advance works, before a tender can be put in place. I would say 2021, assuming, likely so, that it's included in the new 10 year capital investment plan.

Didnt ABP approve it already?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Not yet; it's one of Enda's pet projects, but as Marno said, it's still a few years off a start date, yet.

N5 Westport-Turlough is ABP approved alright if that's what you're thinking of

This will likely be done by ABP quickly enough unless there's objections

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

CPO published in Irish Indo today, thought there was a link to the EIAR and other documents but dont see anything on Roscommon CoCo website

Landowners affected have been contacted by the council this week. Not sure yet what in relation to but it's the first contact in a while

Someone from the council has been out with the landowners to discuss how the road will affect their land and what compo they are likely be getting. Saying it'll be the end of this year, potentially next spring before it starts ( don't know if this is for the entire project or where the landowners I know live (roughly Midway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

This scheme will fix one of the worst stretches of primary road in the country.

Currently the speed limit is 100 km on most of it which is incredible considering the amount of hairpin like bends.

I never thought I would see the day when this road gets upgraded.

Fingers crossed shovels hit the ground at some stage.

• Advertisement

user1842 wrote: »
    This scheme will fix one of the worst stretches of primary road in the country.

Currently the speed limit is 100 km on most of it which is incredible considering the amount of hairpin like bends.

I never thought I would see the day when this road gets upgraded.

Fingers crossed shovels hit the ground at some stage.
    It's likely to make the Capital Plan, and given the cost per km for 35km it'll be a big bang for your buck scheme.

This shouldn't cost more than 100m. 35km of at grade single carriageway through cheap land in rural Roscommon.

Advertisement