Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Litecoin Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

papu wrote: »
    Depends where you trade, but you can usually generate a report and calculate your profits from that.

Thanks. I'd want to get on it quick, Litecoin has gained 15% in the past hour alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Getting 1500 on investment of 600. Tempting. I only bought them on Thursday through Revolut. So no fees / tax concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

Just bought 2 for €241 each. Now I'm back in what's the bet the price will crash.

dan786 wrote: »
    Getting 1500 on investment of 600. Tempting. I only bought them on Thursday through Revolut. So no fees / tax concerns.

May I ask how? Genuinely curious. Is it to do with Revolut cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    300 is being a big stubbon... seen 312 just now but its not breaking clear.

GDAX showing well over $300 with no upcoming sell walls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Elemonator wrote: »
    May I ask how? Genuinely curious. Is it to do with Revolut cards?

What do you mean how? Revolut lets you exchange your money to Crypto. And then you can exchange them back to actual currency whenever you feel. Then make a withdrawal to your bank. They dont charge fees and it wont be taxed.

I topped up atleast 20k into my revolut in last 2 months so will just show it will just show in my bank as money back from Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What do you mean how? Revolut lets you exchange your money to Crypto. And then you can exchange them back to actual currency whenever you feel. Then make a withdrawal to your bank. They dont charge fees and it wont be taxed.

I topped up atleast 20k into my revolut in last 2 months so will just show it will just show in my bank as money back from Revolut.

Yeah because you're meant to declare your taxes. Revolut isn't unique that it doesn't pay your taxes for you. No exchange does this. You're meant to declare and pay your 33% CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yeah because you're meant to declare your taxes. Revolut isn't unique that it doesn't pay your taxes for you. No exchange does this. You're meant to declare and pay your 33% CGT.

I suggest people read up on this, if revenue catch you it wont be cheap.
    The first €1,270 of taxable gains in a tax year are exempt from CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Not sure which is more astounding. This post or litecoins gains?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

JaCrispy wrote: »
    For once, my timing was impeccable. Just put 80% of my portfolio in LTC at the start of the week. Cashed it all out this morning. Please some nice drops now over Christmas so I can go back in.

My timing doesn't look so "impeccable" now :o

• Advertisement

Big wall at 300, so close though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

"Dublin property prices up by 86% since 2013"
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/dublin-property-prices-up-by-86-since-2013-1.3324334

Big headline in the Irish Times just there

Here is one for you Irish Times.......

"Litecoin up 100% since...... am.... yesterday!" :D

At this rate it's going to overtake ETH very very soon, and generate a whole lot of hype...

Just hit 300

Big wall at 300, so close though

Where are you seeing this wall?

Its blown through $300 long ago on GDAX for example

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

312.98 now

GreeBo wrote: »
    Where are you seeing this wall?

Its blown through $300 long ago on GDAX for example

Just trying to break €300 on gdax.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

I suggest people read up on this, if revenue catch you it wont be cheap.
    The first €1,270 of taxable gains in a tax year are exempt from CGT.

I was looking into this and it looks to me capital gain should be calculated every time you convert from one crypto to another not just converting back to Euro. I can't find anything definitive so should really ask an accountant I guess!

But I use cointracking (site/app) nice way to keep track of everything and view reports etc. can import all your trades from the different exchange reports etc.
    Anyway they have a capital gain report generator where give you a good idea what it should be. If I can figure out the settings I might use that for my calculations.

I transferred some BTC to LTC on Sunday to try diversity a bit more before the futures trading, but if I sell back to something else then according to the calculations on that site I'd be over the threshold! So maybe I'll just hold until I figure out what I actually owe.

Also be aware of the payment dates: you're supposed to pay capital gains in the year you realised the gains and there are 2 payment times. Realized up to end Nov then you've to pay before end year and realized in Dec you have til end of Jan on next year.
    (This is separate to filing the tax return which is end of the following year)

here's where I got the info:
    link: https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/transfering-an-asset/how-do-you-pay-and-file-cgt.aspx

.. but then again maybe I'm completely misunderstanding it??

Wombatman wrote: »
    Just trying to break €300 on gdax.

Bah, currency symbols would make peoples posts a lot more meaningful!

If you (not you!) dont put them in, pretty much everyone is going to assume you are talking dollars.

also, its over €330 now on GDAX and no significant walls nearby...

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Sorry Greebo

€313.16

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

3putt wrote: »
    Sorry Greebo

€313.16

You mean €340?

:pac:

• Advertisement

I was looking into this and it looks to me capital gain should be calculated every time you convert from one crypto to another not just converting back to Euro. I can't find anything definitive so should really ask an accountant I guess!

The gain/loss is realized once you dispose (i.e. convert to something else)

But its only due once per year.

As you said, Cointracking.info etc will calculated you end of year gain/loss.

However, I'm not sure what you need to do with unrealized gains/losses...

grindle wrote: »
    You mean €340?

:pac:

No, €350 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

GreeBo wrote: »
    The gain/loss is realized once you dispose (i.e. convert to something else)

But its only due once per year.

As you said, Cointracking.info etc will calculated you end of year gain/loss.

However, I'm not sure what you need to do with unrealized gains/losses...

yes only once a year, but like myself a lot of people only just got into Crypto in last few months and I just assumed like tax returns you file and pay in the following year (ages away!) but not with CGT its payment is in the same year.
    Especially if you've made some trades/profits in November that would push you over the threshold then the deadline is this Friday 15th Dec!

nothing to do with unrealized I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I've never seen such wild fluctuations. €300 to 350 in about 2 minutes, then down to dip under 300 again a few minutes later and now bouncing around mid between on GDAX. Even Bitcoin's huge surge the other week wasn't that crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Coinbase appears to be struggling with traffic.

I'm not able to see my coins at the moment. Anyone else experiencing the same. I didn't transfer to another wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Coinbase appears to be struggling with traffic.

I'm not able to see my coins at the moment. Anyone else experiencing the same. I didn't transfer to another wallet.

yup

Just sold half my holdings at €340 on gdax.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

€258 on Kraken and €334.90 on GDAX, heres hoping the LTC wallet queue is quick enough to allow a little bit of arbritrage :)

You are liable for 33% CGT tax.

Coinbase is down. I have been researching the CGT filings and if I cash some out now I have to pay by the end of the month and if I cash some out after January it is not to be declared until November next year correct?

• Advertisement

Wombatman wrote: »
    Just sold half my holdings at €340 on gdax.

chicken :P

contemplating what to put my sell order at...
    Thinking $499 tbh

Advertisement