Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark - Netflix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

first trailer , looks really good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

So this “dropped” today.

I watched the pilot and it’s quite good. Very tense affair with some genuinely creepy parts.

I’ve seen referred to as the German Stranger Things and I can kind of see that but this is much...darker.

Worth a watch though. I’m off to watch episode 2 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1st episode in.

This feels more OA than Stranger Things..

like.. maybe a more teenagery Stranger Thing dark.. with a cross of OA

Though... it is it's own thing for now.

Definitely a hook at the end of the episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hopefully not as disappointing as OA.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Hopefully not as disappointing as OA.

it doesn't have the thing that made the OA.. kinda unique in that OA way..

well.. not yet anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

The second episode was good too but they need to ease off on the music imo. It's a bit over the top. Some of the acting was a bit ropey too.

They didn't waste much time getting to the
    time travel
    stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

sugarman wrote: »
    Just started this and pleasantly surprised.

Combo of Stranger Thing / AO / Twin Peaks with its own takes too.

Id probably have preferred it in German with subtitles, dubbing is a little off putting.
    Change language to German and subtitles to English.

Came to ask if it was dubbed or subbed for english , subbed it is for me. Cheers.

From just the first episode, I'd say Subtitles and German would be the way to go.

The translations are ok but could probably be better. I checked the dubbing once or twice and the voices are very american and would probably feel off when the German stuff like police uniforms are on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enfilade wrote: »
    Came to ask if it was dubbed or subbed for english , subbed it is for me. Cheers.

Was looking forward to this, but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch a single episode yet. Maybe tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the first episode (German with subtitles ), and man it was laden with atmosphere and borderline tangible forboding, mixed with the kind of small town drama; a formula that you can draw a straight line all the way back to the likes of Twin Peaks. Good stuff at this post and aptly named.

This is quality..way better than the OA or stranger things..half way through it dubbed now..meh, no point changing it now..

Just watched episode 2! Definitely I'm hooked!

So like, there's some great camera work being done here. One countryside aeriel view looks a bit like the way it was done in Arrival.

The scene
    in yer mans garage when the cop finds the drugs
    had a bit of a bladerunner look/feel to it.

The
    kids suit with the skeleton
    reminded me of Karate Kid.

The
    1986 jump
    is just plain cool cos who knows what they're gonna do there.

Definitely a bit more like Strangers Things. Though it's definitely more.. dark

Ok, show needs a binge warning! Episode 3 also has a hook at the end!

Really coming into its own now. Maybe a touch of similarity to
    back to the future
    but just in a very basic sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Started watching this week, I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes, looking forward to getting through the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Jolisa94

Just watched the whole series over 3 days (i’m on sick leave). It’s different to Stranger Things and way superior to the OA, imo.

Love a good story and this kept me hooked all the way through, you really do need to pay attention.

Watched in German with subtitles, but feel i missed a few things, so plan to watch the dubbed version next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Half way through this now on episode 5, so far it is up there with the best thing's I've watched this year. Hard to not watch the whole thing in one sitting!

Episode 6!

Oh the feels
    for the unfairness of the hotel managers situation getting cancer and beat up and accused of a false.. false rape accusation
    The cave way of travelling to the past was done well. Though like.. I guess the more explaining they do there might weaken the plot device.

Agree that at this point... the story is weaving around itself and remembering the previous episodes is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's good but I'm finding it a challenge to focus with all the characters - both their
    2019 and 1986
    versions.

Basq wrote: »
    It's good but I'm finding it a challenge to focus with all the characters - both their
    2019 and 1986
    versions.

Wait till you get to episode 7! :eek:

Just finished episode 7!
    Hold on.. so..
    the priest is from 1953!?
    so like now
    I'm wonderin is it going to go back further.. is this gonna be some f**ked up nazi experiment from WWII

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Starting episode 8 now....god it’s so good.
    Really hope it ends well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Just watched episode one and two today. Great show. Very very dark. Also feels nice for me because I've been living in Germany for 7 years and can watch without subtitles :D Always good to practice.

episode 8
    was messed up.. I was wincing away from the screen when he took the brick to the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I've just finished it and I don't know what to do with myself now. Really enjoyed it. Wonder will there be a second season?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

If I like this will I like stranger things?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Un1corn wrote: »

They're quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Just after finishing it.
    Not sure if I liked the ending. There are still so many questions unanswered. The "twist" at the end of the time traveller guy being Jonas was quite predictable I thought. You would have to assume there will be a second series based on the ending.

Loved it overall but I thought the last episode let it down a bit. Although if there is going to be a second season I will 100% be tuning in.

Agree it was very hard keeping up with all of the characters when they were jumping from decade to decade!

Finding this has more of a "The Returned" vibe off it. Nothing alike in terms of story etc. but if you liked the returned then this will tick a box or two.

Has similarities in terms of older and younger versions of characters with which I'm also having to think a lot about as the episodes go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭peking97

Stranger things have happened!:)

• Advertisement

Just finished.

I was like... WHAAAaaaaaat?!?
    but then I like.. yeeeeaaaaah I guess.

Yeah, decent production quality throughout. Just that
    brick to the kid
    scene was really
    messed up
    . Then seeing
    the cop getting burst with three batons... I was .. yep, he kinda deserves it... cos ... well cos of what he did

The ending:
    Woooo, dytopican future!. Could be good or bad.. or maybe not even renewed.
    I wouldn't mind knowing where they are going with it.
    Well..
    No, not really. All this is spoiler for both shows so like.. there's a bit of commonality with the nostalgia for the 80s but Stranger Things is ...

.. like.. last warning for spoiler...

Stranger Things is less.. well dark and violent. It's way more 80s nostalgia. It's not time travel. It's really good though.. but in a way different way.

Now that's just Stranger Things season 1. Season 2... well... it's grand and I liked it. It's just nowhere near Season 1.. but that would be difficult. Season 1
    just whallops you at the end.

Advertisement