Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Elf on the Shelf

• 07-11-2017 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

This year, I'm being roped into doing an Elf on the Shelf! Anyone else doing it that might fancy sharing their ideas of what sort of stuff their elves are getting up to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Im going to order my elf on Thursday!! Have a look at this page might give you a few ideas?
    http://kreativeinlife.com/elf-on-the-shelf-ideas/

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Thanks Ciara!

I'll admit I didn't realise how much effort was involved with the elf! I thought I just got him and moved him around the house then my sister was like "oh no, he needs to do exciting, mischievous things....how is he going to arrive?" She is planning something very elaborate with helium balloons! I'm way out of my depth here lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Oh I remember a couple of the mothers here at work going on about this last year.....couple of instances of waking up in the middle of the night going......ah I forgot to move the elf!! Sounds like a big committment alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

We love elf on the shelf here. If your on pinterest it's a great site for elf ideas.

We have done elf parties with the teddies ,
    Elf held hostage by star wars figures
    Hanging kids under ware on the tree overnight :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You’ll only have to do this once.

6714922e40c2a652d7f4eddac7c92605--bad-santa-lots.jpg

I think you just killed my thread :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

86c75d5da303d7fc5f4e7fe43c02a3fe.jpg

Here’s another one you could only do once too haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My husband is very likely to do that to ours. He hates it. My mother has been taunting him about the whole thing so he might we’ll be pushed over the edge yet. :D

I wouldn’t mind, but we only got it as a gift on Christmas Day last year so it’s not like I’ve done anything with it to annoy him yet!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ice can be defrosted and it could come back. Lighter fluid, on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

When did this become a thing? I feel very old and behind the times.

I can see questions being raised as to why, if the elves live with Santa, this one happens to live in our home. Threatens the stability of the Christmas deception. I think I'll stick to the traditional narrative!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

beans wrote: »

I can see questions being raised as to why, if the elves live with Santa, this one happens to live in our home. Threatens the stability of the Christmas deception. I think I'll stick to the traditional narrative!
    It comes with a book. I’m presuming the book explains it but I haven’t read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think it’s the Pucan in galway the pub had one on Facebook last year, it was sooooo bold!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

beans wrote: »

It's being going around a few years now and most kids that I have heard with them love them and they really believe in them.
    The elf basically moves around the house and helps Santa to make sure everything is going well and the elf might leave notes for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Jeju

Only two days since the decorations were put up and so far he
    Put toiled paper all over the stairs, hid the breakfast cereal behind the couch and turned the children's school uniform inside out. What Elsw will he get up to?

Jeju wrote: »
    Only two days since the decorations were put up and so far he
    Put toiled paper all over the stairs, hid the breakfast cereal behind the couch and turned the children's school uniform inside out. What Elsw will he get up to?

I've merged your thread with one from last year, hopefully you can get some ideas from that thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

a few good accessories in the likes of dealz for the elves

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Jeju

Up to my tonsils with this Elfs behaviour, yesterday her had made a pencil fishing rod and was trying to land the goldfish and this morning had cut a big hole in my boxers. On the positive side, the kids jump up out of bed to see what he has gotten up to during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Unfortunately our elf broke his leg....can't be moved for 2 weeks....!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was in Lidl a few weeks ago and a mother was buying this with her kids.
    The kids asked where does the money go?
    She was like em to the retired elves.
    Then they said why do they need the money.
    Mother said there not working anymore.
    The kids were like why doesn't Santa look after them.
    She was like he does but this allows them to do extra mice things.
    She was trying to do something nice and they drove the woman mad.

So far our elf has:

1. Made us breakfast
    2. Sat on top of the toy kitchen with a tea party
    3. Sat on the mantlepiece with Santy
    4. Put the baby doll to bed and snuggled in beside her
    5. Pooped sprinkly jazzies in a dolls potty in the bathroom
    6. Driven a toy tractor full of animals through my Christmas village

I struggle every night for ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

My cousin does it every year and always posts pictures, the other day the elves(She has 2) were in the fridge with food colouring and had turned the milk blue! (she had kept some fresh in a jug for her coffee!) The kids still used the milk for their cereal!

Today the elves were playing pie face with the kids toy story toys, she had board games stacked up and buzz was standing on them holding an elf at the face hole! And the other elf was at the bottle with woody and spray cream!

other ideas:

line up some shoes and elf sits in first one and other dolls/soldiers etc in other shoes and a sign saying all aboard the shoe shoe train!

Elf sits on couch with the remote and a little bowl of popcorn watching a movie,

Elf plays a board game, scrabble/snakes and ladders etc with other dolls/toys.

Elf sits holding a marshmallow on a toothpick over an unlit tealight (you toast it slightly first!)

Can't think of anymore at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mac B

Our elf had been in a lightsaber battle with Darth Vader on bedroom shelf.

He made up a bed for himself in the fridge.

Was found in a tub of roses sweets with wrappers thrown everywhere. (So much for my diet)

Found by the Wii U holding a remote and steering wheel with other Teddy. Looks like they were playing computer games all night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Elf was banned from our house,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I'm babysitting my nieces and nephew for a few days. Need ideas for elf on the shelf so shall be following this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Elf was banned from our house,

Our Elf got himself a sleeping bag from Dealz, stays in bed most nights now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Got a pic of a brilliant (bold) one yesterday. Kevin the carrot from Aldi, and his wife and kids all bound and
    gagged with tinfoil. All lined on the grill pan ready to be put in. The nasty parsnip (cant remember his name)
    beside them with roll of tinfoil in his hand....and the Elf ready to turn on the oven. It was brilliant. but obviously
    not for use with kids....LOL...

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

So I finally caved in and bought one of these demented things. It's currently sitting on the shelf and its creepy dead eyes are staring at me as I type this. I don't know where it's going to move to tonight. The only thing that's making it worthwhile is my little boy is absolutely ecstatic right now.

Advertisement