Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2017-18

• 17-10-2017 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

Time to start this?

I'll try and do my predictions today, but pretty swamped work wise so it may be later this week before I can do so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Using the template from last year:

NBA CHAMPIONS - Warriors
    EASTERN CHAMPIONS - Celtics
    WESTERN CHAMPIONS - Warriors
    MOST VALUABLE PLAYER - Kawhi Leonard
    ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - Milos Teodosic
    DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR - Kawhi Leonard
    MOST IMPROVED PLAYER - Kelly Olynyk
    6TH MAN OF THE YEAR - Lou Williams
    COACH OF THE YEAR - Brad Stevens
    LEAGUE LEADER IN SCORING - James Harden
    FIRST COACH FIRED - NO COACH WILL GET FIRED THIS YEAR!
    WORST OVERALL RECORD - Chicago Bulls
    PLAYER TO SCORE THE MOST POINTS IN A GAME - Devin Booker !!

I'm hoping for an interesting season and someone to break the Cavs-Warriors hegemony. I'd like for the Celtics to gel quickly, and Wizards to take another step forward (no more slow starts). Denver has huge potential so I hope we see it on the floor and in results. Spurs will be great as per usual and hopefully challenge the Warriors a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

NBA CHAMPIONS - Warriors
    EASTERN CHAMPIONS - Cavs
    MOST VALUABLE PLAYER - LeBron (assuming he plays enough minutes/games). If not, Steph Curry
    ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - Ben Simmons
    DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR - Rudy Gobert
    MOST IMPROVED PLAYER - Jusef Nurkic (assuming he plays the full season like he ended last)
    6TH MAN OF THE YEAR - No idea, nor do I care!
    COACH OF THE YEAR - Pop - it should always be Pop. If not, Brad Stevens (Celtics bias!)
    LEAGUE LEADER IN SCORING - Kyrie Irving. This is bot a Boston pick - it's based on everyone else (Harden/Westbrook etc.) having to share the ball this year v last, and Kyrie essentially being set free. Will it be pretty? No!
    FIRST COACH FIRED - Doc Rivers
    PLAYER TO SCORE THE MOST POINTS IN A GAME - Steph Curry (if allowed to, i.e. if Kerr doesn't bench him middle of the 3rd/4th quarter a la Kaly in his 60 game last year). From what I saw in pre-season Curry looks in phenomenal shape and form.

Reminder that the pre sale for London goes live tomorrow.

Queue starts at 8.30.

Hoping to get the cheapest for this so time is of the essence.

Haven't been over since 2013 so going this goes better, definitely a more interesting line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

nooooooo poor Gordon Hayward, he's done for the season by the look of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Shocking, sickening to watch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

All you can hope is that its a clean break

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Terrible for him, and for the Celtics season

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

That was terrible. Celtics season up in the air now.

Fractured ankle, which I believe is worse recovery wise than a clean break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

First quarter, first game.

Goddamn.

Was about to head to bed earlier with the Celtics well down, but they have made a match of it, mainly due to clevelands poor shooting in the 3rd. But brown has been very good, also if Smart could shoot semi consistently he would be a fine player

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Two games that ended up being very close which looked unlikely at half time in both games. Impressed by Brown in the Celtics game more so than anybody else.

Swaggy P goes 6/7 from 3pt range. Id say hes going to put up crazy numbers this year from outside.

NBA CHAMPIONS - Warriors
    EASTERN CHAMPIONS - Cavs
    MOST VALUABLE PLAYER - Kevin Durant
    ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - Ben Simmons (assuming no injury), if not then maybe Dennis Smith Jr
    MOST IMPROVED PLAYER - Myles Turner
    6TH MAN OF THE YEAR - Eric Gordon
    COACH OF THE YEAR - Steve Kerr
    LEAGUE LEADER IN SCORING - James Harden
    FIRST COACH FIRED - Mike Malone (Denver)
    WORST OVERALL RECORD - Knicks with Bulls a close second worst :(
    PLAYER TO SCORE THE MOST POINTS IN A GAME - Westbrook

No report in yet that I've read but can't see Hayward back this year, even Play Offs.

Celtics season up in the air now. In a strange way though it could be very good for Kyrie.

Dislocated ankle AND a fractured tibia.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Portis has fractured Mirotic's face after punching him in practice. This tanking season is going to be good. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Paully D wrote: »
    Portis has fractured Mirotic's face after punching him in practice. This tanking season is going to be good. :rolleyes:

Wait on full reports before thinking on this any further.
    First "report" was that Portis sucker-punched Mirotic.
    Latest "report" that Mirotic was the aggressor.

Paully D wrote: »

He's suspended for 8 games. Markkanen only available PF.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

NBA CHAMPIONS - Warriors
    EASTERN CHAMPIONS - Raptors
    MOST VALUABLE PLAYER - Blake Griffin
    DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR - Rudy Gobert
    MOST IMPROVED PLAYER - Ingram
    6TH MAN OF THE YEAR - Clarkson
    COACH OF THE YEAR - Brad Stevens
    LEAGUE LEADER IN SCORING - Blake Griffin
    FIRST COACH FIRED - Doc Rivers
    PLAYER TO SCORE THE MOST POINTS IN A GAME - Irving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Jesus late to the party but that Hayward injury is ****ing horrible. Think they will come right as a team towards the end of the year but that is a huge loss whatever chance they had of beating the cabs must be gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Hayward's injury now being reported as a "clean break with no ligament damage ". Surgeon said it's as good as they could have hoped for. There's a possibility he could be back sometime in March.

rushfan wrote: »
    Hayward's injury now being reported as a "clean break with no ligament damage ". Surgeon said it's as good as they could have hoped for. There's a possibility he could be back sometime in March.

I think they'd be very stupid to play him again this year. Even when cleared to play after an injury like that it takes a long time to build up strength and mental confidence in the ankle again.

Jeremy Lin out for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I think they'd be very stupid to play him again this year. Even when cleared to play after an injury like that it takes a long time to build up strength and mental confidence in the ankle again.

Absolutely, especially for one of their marquee players. Hopefully they'll be patient with him.

Lin is a big loss for the Nets , didn't think they were going to be as bad this year. Also think it would be very foolish for Hayward to rush back. Better safe than sorry.

Still a bad few days for the Celtics. Losing Hayward, and the Nets pick looking more like a high draft pick :(

Jeremy Lin out for the season.
    2smiggy wrote: »
    Lin is a big loss for the Nets , didn't think they were going to be as bad this year. Also think it would be very foolish for Hayward to rush back. Better safe than sorry.

Still a bad few days for the Celtics. Losing Hayward, and the Nets pick looking more like a high draft pick :(
    rushfan wrote: »
    Absolutely, especially for one of their marquee players. Hopefully they'll be patient with him.

The Cavs win big time with both tbh.

It was a stretch to think Boston could beat Cleveland this year, but now there's no chance. It also sets back the team's development by a year with Hayward gone.

With Lin out the Nets will undoubtedly lose more games and hence the chances of them getting the 1 pick increases.

Sucks all round as a Boston fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

NBA CHAMPIONS - Warriors
    EASTERN CHAMPIONS - Cavs
    MOST VALUABLE PLAYER - LBJ
    MOST IMPROVED PLAYER - KP
    6TH MAN OF THE YEAR - Eric Gordon
    COACH OF THE YEAR - Jason Kidd
    LEAGUE LEADER IN SCORING - Giannis
    FIRST COACH FIRED - Hoiberg
    WORST OVERALL RECORD - Nets
    PLAYER TO SCORE THE MOST POINTS IN A GAME - Booker

Beverley gave Lonzo a nice intro to NBA life last night. I was disappointed with Ingram given all the off season hype. I wouldn't mind but he was poor in pre season too.

I was leaning on Dennis Smith for ROY but given what I seen from Simmons it's hard to look past him. The extra year watching and training is such a huge benefit the same as Blake a few years ago.

Giannis I thought looked so good the other night. They have a real shot at home court this year especially if Jabari can come back and produce.

Maker, Jabari, Giannis, Middleton and Brogdan with Monroe off the bench looks like a top 4 team.

• Advertisement

Didn't see any games last night but from the stats Zinger looks like he had a big game for NYK, although they only managed to put up 84 pts as a team.

Markannen likewise from the stat sheet alone seemed to have a decent enough first game out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement