Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Mid-Strength

Options
  • 04-06-2017 5:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭

Is this still around anymore? I saw it advertised in the paper a few years ago. Where can I get it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,894 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Last place I saw it was Mulligans Poolbeg street in early part of this year... dunno if still on the taps though.

Let us know if spot it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭AzcuzCoz

What exactly is it? I've only just turned 18 so I prefer to drink something a bit less strong than the normal black stuff, and I remember seeing it in the paper a few years ago.

Lots of opinions on it here... some of it might be useful:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056688725

It's supposed to be a 2.8% version of Guinness, brewed "in the same way" as the regular stuff.

I had it a few times watching a footie game in the pub on a sunday afternoon or monday evening, other options would be smithwicks red ale which is 3.8% - less if you shandy it.

This may sound very stupid, but are you able to drive after drinking it? (Probably not).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

AzcuzCoz wrote:
    This may sound very stupid, but are you able to drive after drinking it? (Probably not).

Think that's how they originally advertised it.

• Advertisement

AzcuzCoz wrote: »

After one, yes.

But I wouldn't risk drinking it all night and then driving, it's mid strength beer not non-alcoholic.

I'm afraid for that it'd have to be a totally non-alcoholic beer like the 0% versions available of Erdinger, Becks etc, or a soft drink... I find ginger ale with a lime wedge goes further than a coke or 7up. Or maybe cranberyy juice. Basically something you wouldn't drink super quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cardshark

It all depends how much of it you drink!

Personally I only drink Coca Cola and a pint of Guinness when I'm at the local. The odd time I might have a Smithwicks or Heineken but that's about it.

I haven't done my research, but after a pint of the regular Guinness are you allowed drive? I don't now the regulations too well and have only been driving and drinking for a couple of months, though not at the same time!

When it was released, the drink/driving limits were higher. The Gardai recommended no more that two pints. With mid strength you could drink 4 pints. If I remember rightly, it was shown on the RTE news.

I haven't done my research, but after a pint of the regular Guinness are you allowed drive? I don't now the regulations too well and have only been driving and drinking for a couple of months, though not at the same time!

That's the safest course of action, once you start mixing and matching you are putting yourself at risk because there are so many factors involved - body size, drinking on empty stomach, how tired you are, your unique metabolism.

I personally wouldn't have a full pint of any regular beer and then drive straightaway.

Some people find that 1 glass or pint of the real deal followed by soft drinks all night works for them.
    Some people find that all that 1 drink does is generate a thirst for more... so they stick to soft drinks \ non alcoholic beers all night.
    Some people go for a pint of non alcoholic beer shandy (e.g. bottle of non alcoholic beer with dash of lemonade or ginger ale) ... having a pint in their hands of the right colour works psychologically for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

The op is taking the p1ss

Check his other threads.

I'm not taking the p1ss, I just had a joke about the animal bones, that's all.

Does the mid-strength taste any different to the normal stuff?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Golf clubs and the odd hotel would tend to stock Guinness mid-strength. The flavour is the same as regular but it's even more watery, from what I remember.

Why isn't it sold everywhere?

Was it not popular or something?

What was different about it compared to the normal stuff?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why isn't it sold everywhere?

Was it not popular or something?

Its not popular. Pubs have a limited range of taps and can't sell everything. On that note, most pubs here have maybe 2x-3x the number of taps of a normal bar in England - the idea that a beer is 'available everywhere' just doesn't exist there.
    What was different about it compared to the normal stuff?

Its weaker, and somewhat watery. Guinness drinkers are also hugely resistant to change - at least when they're told, as the Guinness recipe has changed numerous times over the decades.

I've only been drinking Guinness for 5 months, and am looking for something a bit less alcoholic, so to speak. Is Mid-Strength the least alcoholic Guinness out there? Or is there another alternative that is still Guinness?

guinness-mid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

AzcuzCoz wrote:
    I've only been drinking Guinness for 5 months, and am looking for something a bit less alcoholic, so to speak. Is Mid-Strength the least alcoholic Guinness out there? Or is there another alternative that is still Guinness?

No. Anything else would not be Guinness it would be stout of some description.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

You've already been told it is on your other thread. Are you expecting a different answer on this one? :confused:

A bit off topic, but you know the new Guinness glasses with the curve and harp engraved on it? Like the ones in my above picture? Where do you get them? Can I just go into the local and ask for one? Will they allow me or is there a strict policy against getting glasses from the bar?

You're asking very non specific questions that Google will answer for you. What's the deal? I googled Guinness glasses and got numerous options instantly

• Advertisement

Can you just go into the local and ask for one from the bar or take it home when finished! That's all I'm asking.

How about asking the local instead of asking on an Internet forum where any response won't be guaranteed one way or another anyways....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bars have to pay for glasses afaik, so I don't think they are keen for patrons to help themselves to glasses when leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The Carroll's Irish tat shops should sell them.

EDIT: No "o'"!

And: https://www.carrollsirishgifts.com/guinness-logo-2-pack-pint-glass-set-with-embossed-harp.html

So let me just get this straight:

With mid strength you can drive after drinking a few pints and a child could drink it? Does anyone know anywhere that does sell it in any of these places: Swords, Dublin, Monaghan and Waterford City. I live between these three places. Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Can you just go into the local and ask for one from the bar or take it home when finished! That's all I'm asking.

Would you go to a restaurant and ask them if you could bring one of their plates home when you finish your meal?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,278 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

So let me just get this straight:

With mid strength you can drive after drinking a few pints and a child could drink it? Does anyone know anywhere that does sell it in any of these places: Swords, Dublin, Monaghan and Waterford City. I live between these three places. Thanks.

It seems to me from your two threads that you want people to tell you that it's OK for you to have a couple of pints of Guinness Mid-Strength and then for you to drive. Nobody will, and more importantly nobody can tell you that, there are too many variables such as whether you've eaten recently, your physical size, your metabolism, etc. I'll give you the only advice I can give you, and that's not to touch a drop when you have the car with you. I've done that from the moment I started driving, and I've never had to worry about whether I've had half a pint too many, or if I can chance another drink as long as it only has x amount of alcohol in it. And no, a child can't drink it, not legally anyway.

Sure why not. Be grand.. Bit of a drive to monaghan for a few pints

No to the kids drinking it though.. Are you sure you're really studying in Trinity??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

With mid strength you can drive after drinking a few pints

You can't.

If you are 18 you are going to be on a permit or probationary licence so your alcohol limit is so low I'd advise not even sniffing a beer mat. Unless you're the size of a house you would probably be over your limit directly after a single pint of this.
    and a child could drink it?

They can't.

There is a damn good reason this isn't popular - you aren't going to be impressed when you do find it.

• Advertisement

OP, in one of my earlier posts I said that when mid strength was released you could drink 4 pints of it without being over the limit. That was (in your timeframe) the last century....when you could drink and drive. Now you CAN'T. You are now only legally allowed to drink in pubs and have probably only just got your driving license.

Maybe by your following comments you shouldn't do either. You seem to think that you can't be affected by alcohol. If you are going out somewhere and you are driving, don't drink. Leave the car at home or collect it at the pub the following day. Otherwise it's just a matter of time before you become a statistic - dead, killed someone or prosecuted for drink driving.

Advertisement