Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General sheep thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Willfarman wrote: »
    Get a narrow trough and cut a ewes head sized hole out of the bottom of a wide enough bucket that will allow the ewe only to pull hay silage but not get her head into the trough.. Position bucket over ewes head.. Happy days... Feed double and triplets half a kg head twice a day..

Feck it,I'll probably buy more through the week so I'll spilt them up in groups if more come to feed them make it simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dylan collins

with this flukeiver when shall i give it to them next i gave it 5 weeks ago can anyone tell me when they should be dosed again

and aswell does that protect for worms or do i have to buy something else for worming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

You shouldn't have to be worming adult ewes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

and aswell does that protect for worms or do i have to buy something else for worming

Flukiver only does for fluke. I probably wouldn't be in a big rush to do them again too soon. Are they dirty? When are they lambing? Take it they are all out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Interesting tweet about the future of the NZ sheep meat access to the EUROPEAN.

https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/823995146027024385

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

hi all,

I dosed all ewes before scanning with ridafluke which has a 60 day withdrawl.

I have a few empty ewes that i want to sell but can i sell them within the withdrawl or would anyone buy them knowing they cant be killed until march

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

roosky wrote: »
    hi all,

I have a few empty ewes that i want to sell but can i sell them within the withdrawl or would anyone buy them knowing they cant be killed until march

You'd imagine the only buyers for them would be lads carting them off to the factory the same day. I'm sure they'd buy them alright, but would heavily discount them. For what's it's worth I'd let them sit there for until end of withdrawal period and wouldn't take chance for the small few quid they bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

hi all,

Can't sell them in cull ring till withdrawal up

You'd imagine the only buyers for them would be lads carting them off to the factory the same day. I'm sure they'd buy them alright, but would heavily discount them. For what's it's worth I'd let them sit there for until end of withdrawal period and wouldn't take chance for the small few quid they bring.

Thats what I was thinking, so does it pay to go to mart or should i just send them straight to the factory, if the other boys are just doing that?

Was only selling them to clear the place a bit not for the gold rush they will bring !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Thats what I was thinking, so does it pay to go to mart or should i just send them straight to the factory, if the other boys are just doing that?

Was only selling them to clear the place a bit not for the gold rush they will bring !

Not a good thing to do, you're unlikely to be caught, but some are caught.

Shouldn't be writing it up here anyway

rangler1 wrote: »
    Not a good thing to do, you're unlikely to be caught, but some are caught.

Shouldn't be writing it up here anyway

No, I have culls that weren't dosed that i would be sending to factory, wouldn't risk sending anything within a withdrawl......not worth the risk !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

hi all,

Same situation as me last year with sheep and clik I think it was. I brought them and announced the end of the withdrawal date and the product used to the auctioneer. It was written on the statement when I got the cheque too so I have it in writing too.

any man got good suggestions for what wormer to use for lambs
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

any man got good suggestions for what wormer to use for lambs
    -
    Shouldn't need worming now If done properly I was using different wormer till fluke season then used duotech which supposedly does both but lost a few till fluke so have no faith in it

Just a reminder for lads who haven't already sent off the sheep census and welfare scheme forms, the closing date is next Tuesday so the letters have to be sent by post (registered post if you want proof of postage) on Monday at the latest.

Just a reminder for lads who haven't already sent off the sheep census and welfare scheme forms, the closing date is next Tuesday so the letters have to be sent by post (registered post if you want proof of postage) on Monday at the latest.

is there anyway to check online that i am signed up to the sheep scheme, I sent in the forms but just like to get confirmation that all was okay

is there anyway to check online that i am signed up to the sheep scheme, I sent in the forms but just like to get confirmation that all was okay
    That I don't know, roosky. I was cleaning out the car today and came across the census and welfare scheme letters, thought I had them posted 2 weeks ago:o

The handout from yesterday's National sheep conference is in a link in the tweet below. It should pass away a few hours reading.

https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/826804436005769216

The handout from yesterday's National sheep conference is in a link in the tweet below. It should pass away a few hours reading.

https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/826804436005769216

WAS anyone at it, Farmers own story was very good , he brought his gross margin from about 300/ha to about 850/ha in four years and that was even with high mortality due to toxo last year. He's well on target for the 'magic' 1000/ha gross margin.
    He didn't build any extra accomodation but increased his numbers by 100 ewes and lambed the ewe lambs. Ideal subject to show what the Teagascs better farm project can do if they get a farmer that's not afraid of work. don't know if it's the same farmer in Carlow.
    Gottsteins presentation was a bit of crack too, about rearing orphan lambs

• Advertisement

WAS anyone at it, Farmers own story was very good , he brought his gross margin from about 300/ha to about 850/ha in four years and that was even with high mortality due to toxo last year. He's well on target for the 'magic' 1000/ha gross margin.
    He didn't build any extra accomodation but increased his numbers by 100 ewes and lambed the ewe lambs. Ideal subject to show what the Teagascs better farm project can do if they get a farmer that's not afraid of work. don't know if it's the same farmer in Carlow.
    Gottsteins presentation was a bit of crack too, about rearing orphan lambs

I was at it and thought it very good too. Just shows what of bit of focus and attention can do to bottom line.

Not a mention or update of the New Zealand sheep in athenry.

Anyone using smyths of liffords hi milk 19% ewe ration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

razor8 wrote: »
    Anyone using smyths of liffords hi milk 19% ewe ration?
    Nope but this time next week I will be find smyths feeding stuff very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Just noticed a springing Ewe with what looks like orf at the back of her teats.
    I don't remember it there when she lambed last year.
    If this is orf, would it be dead, or would it cause infection to the unborn lambs when the suckle

Farrell wrote: »
    Just noticed a springing Ewe with what looks like orf at the back of her teats.
    I don't remember it there when she lambed last year.
    If this is orf, would it be dead, or would it cause infection to the unborn lambs when the suckle

is it just a lump on then teat or an open sore

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

No, I have culls that weren't dosed that i would be sending to factory, wouldn't risk sending anything within a withdrawl......not worth the risk !

Good man! The Dept AO's are constantly taking samples.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

is it just a lump on then teat or an open sore
    Looks to be a lump

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Looks to be a lump
    I'd say that it's not infectious at this stage whatever it is. BUT I'd be watching her lambs and maybe mark her for culling

Edit-maybe some sudocreme if it's sore looking

Looks to be a lump

sometimes a bite on the teat turns into a lump of scar tissue the following year, I'd say that's what you have, most are harmless but an odd one blocks the milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭390kid

Have a ewe that lambed Thursday night with triplets. She's making an awful creaking and cracking sound when she goes to get up and lie down? Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I've gave 50 ml of calcium and a life aid to just to be sure.

Advertisement