Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomb Raider (Reboot)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Walton Goggins to play the bad guy.

Count me in on this one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭brevity

Alicia Vikander has been cast as Lara Croft in the reboot of Tomb Raider. Roar Uthaug is directing. Expected to film later this year.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/alicia-vikander-is-lara-croft-in-tomb-raider-20160428?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Roar Uthaug?

Wasn't he an Ork in Lord of the Rings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Like yourself, that actually got my intention and curiousity in this production now; Goggins is a fantastic character actor, underappreciated by and large, and his performance as Boyd Crowder in Justified is arguably up there with Bryan Cranston as one of the greats of TV in the modern age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Walter Goggins is a cartoon of an actor. I enjoy watching him in a humorous way, but I do not take him seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

There's two things I remember about tomb raider as a kid and I don't think Alicia vikander's really not them. Not sure about the casting choice for that reason really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Walter Goggins is a cartoon of an actor. I enjoy watching him in a humorous way, but I do not take him seriously.

He plays a lot of over the top characters for sure, but his turn in Justified would do a lot to dispel that notion that he can't play stronger, more serious characters. If anything, it made good use of Goggins' slightly wild-eyed, crazy haired demeanour, making Boyd Crowder seem both highly dangerous yet charismatic at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like yourself, that actually got my intention and curiousity in this production now; Goggins is a fantastic character actor, underappreciated by and large, and his performance as Boyd Crowder in Justified is arguably up there with Bryan Cranston as one of the greats of TV in the modern age.
    He plays a lot of over the top characters for sure, but his turn in Justified would do a lot to dispel that notion that he can't play stronger, more serious characters. If anything, it made good use of Goggins' slightly wild-eyed, crazy haired demeanour, making Boyd Crowder seem both highly dangerous yet charismatic at the same time.

I thought his The Shield performance was superb as well. From trusted friend to psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

blue note wrote: »
    There's two things I remember about tomb raider as a kid and I don't think Alicia vikander's really not them. Not sure about the casting choice for that reason really.

Cos her tits aren't big enough?

On the plus side she is a ****ing fantastic actress who will be more than capable of playing this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Cos her tits aren't big enough?

On the plus side she is a ****ing fantastic actress who will be more than capable of playing this part.

Exactly. It's literally the only notable thing about the character from the computer game. It's like casting Cillian Murphy for a character who's supposed to be really muscular. Or Tom Cruise for Jack Reacher.....

She'll probably be better than Megan Fox or whoever they could have gotten who'd have the physical side of it, but to be honest I'd rather they cast Megan Fox for a role like this and leave Alicia Vikander do better movies basically. I'd have very low expectations for a Tomb Raider reboot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm sure there's plenty of websites where you can get your fix of boobs. F**k sake, some things never change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

He was great in The Shield too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

blue note wrote: »

You know that there are still new games being made, right? And that, after the outright ridiculousness of her appearance in the first few games (reportedly down to one developer deciding that the character would be improved by improbably large & gravity-defying boobs), her appearance has been tweaked to be more in line with what actual women look like?

It's a film adapting a videogame property so it could turn out badly anyway (though the most recent games have put effort into the narrative and gained plenty of praise, so there's a basis for cautious optiimism), but even by those standards "but the actress doesnt have the impossible physique the character had in the games 20 years ago" seems a pretty stupid basis on which to comment on the casting.

It's the era of the internet; you want tits, ass, dong, fur or whatever you prefer, go use Google. Sex or titillation has never been more readily accessible, and in a higher quality than a fleeting shot of boobs from some 80s slasher b-movie.

The notion of Hollywood films still using sex appeal to lure in punters is practically quaint in this day & age, and probably why you don't really see it anymore. And frankly the mid 90s obsession of that low-poly, 2D version of Lara Croft was a high/low watermark in gaming being the domain of horndog teenagers or man-children. It says a lot that the modern form of Croft actually resembles a real human being with a semblance of character, while at the same time maintaining some degree of attractiveness without falling into the ideals of a 12 year old boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,268 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's the era of the internet; you want tits, ass, dong, fur or whatever you prefer, go use Google. Sex or titillation has never been more readily accessible, and in a higher quality than a fleeting shot of boobs from some 80s slasher b-movie.

The notion of Hollywood films still using sex appeal to lure in punters is practically quaint in this day & age, and probably why you don't really see it anymore.
    And frankly the mid 90s obsession of that low-poly, 2D version of Lara Croft was a high/low watermark in gaming being the domain of horndog teenagers or man-children. It says a lot that the modern form of Croft actually resembles a real human being with a semblance of character, while at the same time maintaining some degree of attractiveness without falling into the ideals of a 12 year old boy.

Now tell that to DC/WB who basically made all advertising around Suicide Squad about Harley Quinn and Margot Robbie's sexuality.

Now tell that to DC/WB who basically made all advertising around Suicide Squad about Harley Quinn and Margot Robbie's sexuality.

Yes, unfortunately it's still pretty prevalent, the only thing is people are noticing it more. It obviously still works though or they would stop doing it.

Yeah, that was kinda bizarre really, but WB seem to be operating within their own little world, and I'd argue that it's a broadly declining trend. Hollywood are slowly waking up to the notion that actually, young women like blockbusters & adventure too & maybe they want to play with Avengers toys etc. Slowly, very slowly mind you.

I mean when you look back, particularly at the 80s and the explosion of straight-to-VHS B movies, there was a pretty straightforward policy to throw in some illicit T&A to get some extra publicity / attention when the actual script/budget/actors weren't up to snuff. It was the heyday for overblown violence mixed with some pneumatic blonds adorning the VHS cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,765 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If anyone seen him in SOA then he could play Lara :p

• Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Alicia looks the part.... (click through for bigger versions of the pics)

https://twitter.com/AliciaVikanderD/status/828650723797766144

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Id have preferred Gal Gadot myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

NEw0tB2vLuSlzD_2_b.jpg

3CE67EAC00000578-0-image-a-43_1486394685140.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Her bust size doesn't bother me, I just think she's an awful actor. She was seriously poor in a Man from UNCLE. Her tough guy imprersonation and the voice she put on in Bourne was laughable. She was marginally better in Ex Machina but thats a role that any actor would kill for.

Maybe I'll be surprised. But I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,443 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can't be any worse than Angelina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I don't rate her that highly really. She comes across very bleak and dull in everything I have seen her in. Similar to Jennifer Lawrence as catniss Everdeen, god forbid she shows some personality.

You'd never know though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

She definitely looks the part. They seem to be drawing on the video game’s Descent-inspired reboot, which is fine by me,

She’s a good actor, especially in lead roles. She was excellent in Testament of Youth and A Royal Affair. And while The Danish Girl wasn’t a good movie, she was very good in it. But her supporting roles have been hit or miss. I thought she was miscast in The Man from UNCLE. And everyone was terrible in Jason Bourne so I wouldn’t hold that against her. She’s also been shortchanged even in some of the better ones by directors more interested in their male lead. Oceans, for example.

PHrgB9hhkRqDuw_1_l.jpg

PHE1PHVg2iaUHM_1_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I watched Uthaug's Escape over the weekend. It stars Ingrid Bolso Berdal from Westworld. It's quite good if rather bloodless. I can see why he was picked for Tomb Raider.

Official poster;

MV5BMTU1ODI1NDg2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTM2Nzg1MzI@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Weird neck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Weird neck.

The light/shadow for her chin gives her neck a weird elongated look all right.

Advertisement