Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's Get a Answer!

Options
  • 06-02-2005 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I like most on this Board aint the biggest fan of IBB, i've been waiting since november for the Baldoyle site to go live and other than that i dont have any other Internet options. (DONT EVEN MENTION EIRCOM....)

Anyway so lets see if anyone actually gets a good service from Irish Broadband? If you got IBB Work/Home/Friends Please answer so we can get a good picture here of what people think of IBB.

Do you think the Irish Broadband provides a good internet service?
    (Not including Customer Care... Lord know's how bad that can be)

Do you think Irish Broadband provides a good internet service? 28 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 28 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I think i'm going to go with a "yes" as my overall answer. I have had patchy times, quite a few, but i'd still stick with them, because when it works, it works fantastically. And in the last year, i've only really had 1 bit of bother that lasted more than 2-3 days, and that was during the last few weeks when there was the problem with international traffic (national traffic was grand).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I'd say yes too. Havent had much problem. When I had problems, a ring to their customer service seems to sort them out. I'm happy with them especially I dont have to have a phone line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I've been waiting since July or August for them to do a line of sight test. I've rang probably around 5 or so times since then. I'm not too bothered anyway 'coz I have to 'study' for the next few months, and *hopefully* NTL'll be here sometime in the summer, or 'in the next three months'.

Anywho... IBB sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I'll go with yes as well,like a few people here I've had patchy moments but as Mutant said when it works its fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

absolutely delighted with the RipWave service. Very, Very rarely down, great d/l speeds. don't play games so don't know about latency.
    I'm at Lenords Corner, just off Clannbrassil St/SCR D8. I'm on one of the Guinness transmitters.

I'm in the basement, so I run run a 30m ethernet cable and a power cable up to the front door. I've put the modem on the doorway fan, so its nearly on the same height as the first floor.

30e a month, no download limits, no line rental and therefore no dealings with eirecom eirheads. And I download quite a bit of US tv as I've no TV at the moment.(Can get up to 50KBps on popular files)

When I first got the modem, it drove me mad; on for 1/2/3 whatever hours then down again. Finally it stopped altogether. I called CS and I gave them some serial numbers off the modem and it came back on again and has hardly ever been down since.

Oh yeah , and I got a free modem as they had a special offer at the time.

I can't fault IBB. I think the important thing with the RipWave modem is to put it up as high as possible, and to try and face the transmitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ive got 1meg breeze and have very good LOS with 3-rock. The service has been almost perfect since we got it (9 months), latency can sometimes be a little erratic but its never really too bad. Download speeds have always been very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I say YES, am very happy with IBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'd say yes, too. The only problem at the moment seems to be with getting it in the first place (Line testing, etc). Once you have it, it works great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I answered YES purely on the basis of the last three weeks.
    Something has been done somewhere and my signal has been really consistant.

For 30 quid a month and no messing with wires and drills and phone accounts, I guess it's okay.

But I'd still get NTL if the bassdrinkers would finish Blackrock. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I'm still on the 2.4 512 connection, the site i'm on does not have VL available. I'm hoping they will upgrade soon as they have promised, but in the meantime, its a NO from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I have the ripwave service and at first i would of said no IBB is crap, due to the bad speeds, but when i e-mailed them last week asking them to move me to the RTE transmitter, I have had speeds no less than 400kbps, so now I would say yes IBB is good, just when you have a proper signal. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

My relationship with IBB got off to a really bad start and I ended up waiting over 3 months for an installation due to a series of "administrative errors". After some very vociferous complaining I did eventually get a speedy installation and a genuine apology.
    Once installed the service performed brilliantly for 3 months until a lot of us experienced the problems described by Mutant_Fruit above. What disappointed me was the the fact that it took IBB so long to admit to their customers that there was indeed a serious problem that needed to be addressed. But addressed the problem was a few weeks ago and the service has been brilliant again since.
    In summary, I have found the service very good technically, however in the areas of tech support/administration/communication with customers there is much room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Narcom

I'd have to agree that the VL service is usually very good. However their customer service is very bad and the first 4-5 months with them post install were terrible, (until they upgraded from the 2.4Ghz to VL equipment)

The problem is, how many customers are prepared to hang around on the promise that the install will be in 2 weeks/months and on the promise of 512 which (on the old equipment) was often around 60-85.

If smart telecom rollout to me in March/April as it says on their website then I'm going to have to seriously consider other options unless I get more for my EUR48.40 because the whole experience hasn't encouraged any loyalty.

But as everyone on the VL service here says, when it works, its excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

i went with no...

:(

il admitt some of the problems iv been having latly with my breeze line could be due to my dell but overall im not that happy with the service

only good thing is the no d/l cap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

baldoyle site???

i contacted them about that in september 03'

they said theyd ring me after christmas ....
    im still waiting
    i thought they stopped claiming it would be built a while back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

my ping when playing online has gone to crap altogether and im just wondering what kind of a one do you people get?

im getting ping times of about 140 on an average english server :mad:

im refering to those who are on the 1mb breeze line?

Advertisement