Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweating

Options
  • 09-05-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Prob a bit of a weird one.
    I shower every day sometimes twice but sometimes still after showering, deo etc.
    I can still get a little smell off me. (Like unwashed smell!!)
    I don't know what else I can do.
    I wash my sheets regularly.
    It's not that I am not clean.
    Maybe a stone over weight but not obese.

Any advice I will take

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Are your clothes clean? All the showering and deodorant in the world won't make a blind bit of difference if your clothes aren't clean.

Some people just sweat more than others. But fresh sweat doesn't smell, so if you're a sweaty person you need to accept that you won't get more than one wear out of most clothes and wash them more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You’re showering too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it anything in your diet, vegetables, coffee. Maybe have a look for something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

I wash clothes all the time and also change clothes when I get in from work. My clothes are changed daily hence all the washing. I tried talcum powder but that didn't make any difference.
    It's the underarm smell that I am concerned about.

Maybe I am showering too much but I would feel filthy if I didn't shower daily or twice daily.

Maybe tea is affecting it. I really don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Try a stronger antiperspirant and see if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Some deoderants don’t work as well as other ones! When I used run I would always be careful to use the one I knew worked better for me as well as a blast of over body deo- spray. I find I need to use a roll-one one anyway as the spray ones arn’t as effective or as long lasting underarm as the old fashioned gel roller ones..

I also find some of the eco friendly ones are fairly poor and the rubbon cake variety also arn’t IMO as good.

Maybe a bit of trial and error - expensive but worth it!! It’s just a matter of finding what works!

For the record I notice a lot of ‘new’ fashion & gym clothes have a high plastic content - the kind you can’t wash about 30 or 40’c without them melting - might be worth checking your clothes out too - not only for the whiff test but also to see if
    you are maybe buying a lot of types of clothes that encourage sweating/make you sweat! I certainly have a few suspect ones I know only to wear once & then have to wash! And I rarely last the full night in them - mortifying :0 I feel
    your pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Some deoderants don’t work as well as other ones! When I used run I would always be careful to use the one I knew worked better for me as well as a blast of over body deo- spray. I find I need to use a roll-one one anyway as the spray ones arn’t as effective or as long lasting underarm as the old fashioned gel roller ones..

I also find some of the eco friendly ones are fairly poor and the rubbon cake variety also arn’t IMO as good.

Maybe a bit of trial and error - expensive but worth it!! It’s just a matter of finding what works!

For the record I notice a lot of ‘new’ fashion & gym clothes have a high plastic content - the kind you can’t wash about 30 or 40’c without them melting - might be worth checking your clothes out too - not only for the whiff test but also to see if
    you are maybe buying a lot of types of clothes that encourage sweating/make you sweat! I certainly have a few suspect ones I know only to wear once & then have to wash! And I rarely last the full night in them - mortifying :0 I feel
    your pain!

This is actually very true!! I use Dove spray deodorant. Any time I use any other brand - Sure, Right Guard, Soft & Gentle, whatever - I notice a huge difference, they don't work as well at all for me. Mitchum is the only one I've tried that also works well, but I just prefer Dove. So it's definitely worth experimenting with different brands.

Also have you tried Dri-Clor ... lots of people swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I use Mitchum cream stick and I don’t think I even sweat anymore let alone smell it. It’s brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Agree about deodorant. I noticed an increase in my sweating once I hit my 30's (a few of my friends noticed their own at that age too so I do wonder if it has something to do with it). I always used the same deodorant (Soft and Gentle spray) but tried loads of others and Mitchum roll on was the best. If I don't put deodorant on straight after a shower I can smell unpleasant under my arms within hours without doing anything strenuous.

I have and use mitchum roll on for years. I tried the cream stick one recently. The older one suits me better. Hopefully it won't go off the market.

I tried dri clor but I am sensitive to it.

I have read about putting deodorant on at night so gonna do that for a week and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

By the way ... I had a neighbour who had really bad, really distinctive BO. I think it was a medical issue, she showered daily and washed her clothes regularly etc, as far as I could tell, but the smell was always there.

Once my washing machine was broken and she very kindly offered to let me use hers. So I did a load in it, using my usual detergent and fabric conditioner, but when I unpacked the clothes at home, they smelled really distinctly of her BO!

Just to be aware of it ... even if you solve the problem, no harm giving your washing machine a good clean too, in case the smell is lingering there. I never thought that was even possible until that incident happened!

Thanks.
    It's not exactly extreme or anything. It's just that I am aware.
    I will wash machine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Has it always been like this or is it recently it's become a problem? Are you sweating allot? Is it just your underarms is it a general smell you feel you give off? Has anyone ever said anything to you about it?

If it's a new issue and bothering you very much, maybe go to your GP? Theres no harm in having it checked out just to be sure it's not caused by some underlying issue.
    If its always been there, any chance it could be your natural smell? Everyone has a scent, some peoples are stronger or muskeir than others, if thats the case, id reccomend a scented body cream, something that will go well with your own scent and doesnt overly mask it. The body shop do really nice scented body butters.

Shaving can help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

It's your imagination, I always think the same, I think I can smell something from my pits but I'll ask my wife to have a sniff and she'll say all she can smell is a nice fragrance from my deodorants, and I know this is the truth as when I do come in from manual work etc she has no problem telling me I do stink.

I don't sweat unless exercising. It's more the underarm smell.
    Tbh being using mitchum for years but I guess have become more acutely aware of it now.
    I don't think it's in my imagination. I wish it was.
    Now I am really just focusing on that area and vigorously washing prob 3 times a day. I do think it's working.

I use palmers body butter . It's fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

By washing yourself too much, your sweat glands are pressured into producing excessive sweat. You should try to only wash yourself once a day at most. Anxiety can also cause excessive sweating. Ensure your clothes are washed aswell. Try different deodrants also.

Thanks. Only ever wear clothes once.
    Maybe I will try once daily wash when not exercising. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If you don't use a high enough temperature washing your clothes, they smell clean when straight out of the machine but 5 mins of wearing has them kinda bleugh
    noticed with my gym gear before

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If your armpit hair is long it will trap the sweat and start to smell. You might actually be showering too much as well, if the natural oils are repeatedly stripped from your skin, your body has to work overtime to replenish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

My OH finds driclor to be incredibly effective. Used twice a week or so (at night). just make sure your armpits ARE NOT SHAVED as if there's broken skin, it hurts like hell :( But I do think it works really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭wally79

I couldn’t see this asked but what do you use to wash. I find soap to be much better than shower gel after manual work or sport

Hi,

I have started using soap and I do find it better.
    I use shower gel after the soap

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

s1ippy wrote: »
    If your armpit hair is long it will trap the sweat and start to smell. You might actually be showering too much as well, if the natural oils are repeatedly stripped from your skin, your body has to work overtime to replenish them.

Use an oil all over your body. Particularly under the arms it will stop excessive sweating.

Thanks a mil.
    Any one you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Smile111 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil.
    Any one you recommend?
    Nope I got the tip from an ex ...i don't sweat. :o Sorry. Any will work i assume.

Advertisement