Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 7 sound processing issue?

Options
  • 06-07-2019 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Hi - done a quick search but nothing recent here. I have found similar issues relating to this on google but not sure if they are the same. I haven't found one that mentioned the issue with headphones or air pods

Daughter is away for the summer and last week her mic just stopped working. I think she lost connection on whatsapp and then when she came back online we couldn't hear her.

I have had her do some tests:
    Power off and on - no change
    Power off and on, do not open whatsapp but try facetime - no change
    Hard reset - no change
    External headphones - no change
    Air pods - no change.

It doesn't seem like a hardware fault in terms of the mic as no sound irrespective of the pick up mic is being processed. Could whatsapp be holding the mic??? Might try and uninstall and reinstall but that might not be straightforward as she in the US. I think when I reinstalled whatsapp on a new phone I had to get a text verification.

I'm thinking reset all settings next and if that doesn't work then its a full factory reset and restore. I don't want to go that far as she will be doing it and might loose info if she doesn't back it up correctly and that would be a whole world of trouble.

Some online threads suggest it may have been killed by an OS update??

There is no genius bar close so looking for ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭traco

Following up - back from the US and still no joy now that I have had a play with it.

99% sure is the sound processing BGA, it can be repaired but not cheap. However based on the used prices I thinks it worth doing.

So anyone recommend a good repairer North Dublin / Naas for this, I suspect 95% of them will outsource to a 3rd party with the proper equipment so any recommendation from someone that has done similar and is happy would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement