Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eagle comic - Computer Warrior

Options
  • 13-06-2016 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

A bit of nostalgia just floated into my mind and I remembered the Eagle comic had a character that got immersed in computer games, probably shows my age but when I last read it but the last one I remember is Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (1988), one game that's always been on my "to play" list, just because of the comic. It's an interesting list of games & I'm surprised the character ran for so long & that Another World was the last one done

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Warrior

Zyklon Attack (fictional)
    Wizard of Wor (1983)
    Pastfinder (1984)
    Rescue on Fractalus! (1984)
    The Great American Cross-Country Road Race (1985)
    Ghostbusters (1984)
    Walls of Jericho (fictional)
    Desert Fox (1985)
    Psi 5 Trading Company (1986)
    Uggabulla (fictional)
    Silent Service (1985)
    Kung Fu Master (1985)
    Infiltrator (1986)
    Gauntlet (1986)
    Express Raider (1987)
    World Games (1986)
    Ace of Aces (1986)
    Metro Cross (1988)
    Impossible Mission II (1988)
    Side Arms Hyper Dyne (1988)
    Black Christmas (fictional)
    Wizard Warz (1987)
    Battlefield 3000 (fictional)
    4th & Inches (1987)
    Dream Warrior (1988)
    Blood of Dracula (fictional)
    Bionic Commando (1988)
    RoadBlasters (1988)
    ThunderBlade (1988)
    The Deep (1988)
    Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (1988)
    Forgotten Worlds (1988)
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Action Game (1989)
    Slay Ride (fictional)
    Turbo Outrun (1989)
    Black Tiger (1989)
    Crackdown (1990)
    Dynasty Wars (1990)
    U.N. Squadron (1990)
    Time Warrior (fictional)
    ESWAT (1990)
    Space Attack (fictional)
    Mercs (1991)
    Army War (fictional)
    Street Fighter 2 (1992)
    Another World (1993)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I remember the magazine. Around 1985 or 86 I think. I specifically got Rescue on Fractalus as a result for the C64. Also surprised it ran that long thought it was originally a 10 or 12 episode series. Would love to find some copies of it now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Just to necro an old thread , I found an archive of nearly all the Eagle (80s and 90s) comics . And yeah the Computer Warrior strip is pretty interesting to a retro gamer .

https://britishcomics.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 34,429 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That is a fantastic website, thanks for the link. Never heard of Computer Warrior, I was always a 2000AD kid growing up and didn't really read Eagle apart from a few annuals.

Going to download all of those Eagles links to try to find the Computer Warrior episodes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's already my regular site for comics. At the time I never realised so many of the games were fictional titles. In hindsight, given how many games of the time were story/character light, and often fairly generic, it's easy to see how they could substitute them in.

Outside of the strips, keep an eye out for the now unintentionallu humourous ads, such as the ones trying to flog eventual failures such as the Amstrad GX400.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Yeah the story behind the story of CW was that IPC set up a deal with US Gold , (the UK games publisher) that meant the story would use games that US gold were promoting .When there was nothing on the horizon the writers (usually Alan Grant) would knock up something simple as a fake game. its also the reason that the games were so varied .. I mean Gauntlet and Express Raider and Thunderblade are the normal kind of games you'd expect ..but Ghostbusters,World Games and Psi 5 Trading Company are not the kind of 'challenge' games you'd normally see in a story like this.

Copyright for IP was a lot looser then than it is now .. I mean no way on earth a comic would be allowed use Street Fighter 2 on the go ahead of a home computer ports publisher.

Its also the reason that an official* 'collected' edition probably isn't going to be published any time soon ..especially as a lot of later games were Capcom ones . (although I'm surprised no ones ever collected the scans together as a 'fan ' edit edition....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would have a lot of those issues still from when I was a kid and it really made me want to play them all

Advertisement