Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second attempt...

• 20-10-2012 4:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I've second attempt at the driving test coming up (Raheny, again) on Tuesday. Any pointers?

Last time I picked up marks on reverse/turnabout observation, reaction to hazards, a few other things like observation on the left and also distance from stationary vehicles which was a bit odd as my instructor faulted me on it. Rule of thumb seems to be the width of a car door, not too far out, or not too close.

Didn't get any marks for progress, but just because I didn't get certain marks last time doesn't mean this can't happen again. Will brush up on few road signs and such.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

You need a bit of luck to be honest. I passed mine first time thankfully but got a blue mark on driving to close to parked cars (Which I didn't really agree with as its an extremely narrow street with 2 lanes but whatevs), I got 3 blues for "not looking in the mirrors" as I supposedly only "glanced" into them and didn't look properly, and I also got one for not positioning myself properly on a one way street as your supposed to keep to the left? Don't understand that one to any great degree either but I wasn't going questioning it after he passed me :P

It seems to be based on your tester as well. I know for a fact that one of the testers in my local center is HUGE on mirrors. He'll pile the marks onto you for them in seconds. The other tester is huge on making progress. If you don't hit 3rd and 4th gear a few times you might as well start saving for the re-test now.

No applause for guessing which tester I got! :L:L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for that.
    It seems to be based on your tester as well.

Yeah, I think so. Last time my instructor said there was some fella over there who was a stickler for distance from parked cars.

I was OK on mirrors, if memory serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

I am also between minds on "the quota" theory that testers must fail a certain amount of people... A friend of mine failed her test and was told she was a "good and competent" driver? He failed her for not making progress as she only went to 3rd gear. It's town driving so I thought this was exceptionally harsh IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I wasn't asked this last time, but I believe it's something that can come up - 'who must you stop for?' Guards, Customs, Traffic Wardens...I've a feeling there is a fourth or fifth, but I can't remember. Is it pedestrians?

Also, the continuous white line question...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I wasn't asked this last time, but I believe it's something that can come up - 'who must you stop for?' Guards, Customs, Traffic Wardens...I've a feeling there is a fourth or fifth, but I can't remember. Is it pedestrians?

I thought the answer to that question was Guards, Lollipop lady and Construction Worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A lot to do with luck not just how well prepared and how much you've practised!
    Know the rules of the road inside out!

Who you must stop for usually its those in authority - garda, school warden, person in charge of animals e.g. farmers.

Other person be lollipop person - school warden, flag man/construction person if they holding a stop/go sign.

Other answers be those at a crossing who be about to cross - zebra/pedestrian/pelican crossing - blind person/person pushing a pram but those answers be based on who you must stop/give right of way too.

The correct answer(s) be in the rules of the road and in your theory book/cd when you did the theory exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭teR_

How did you get on?

Person in change of animals, now that rings a bell alright. School warden would have been another, I mean when you think about those yellow school buses in the US/Canada, stop for those or you're in trouble.

Passed on Tuesday morning. :)

Person in change of animals, now that rings a bell alright. School warden would have been another, I mean when you think about those yellow school buses in the US/Canada, stop for those or you're in trouble.

Passed on Tuesday morning. :)

What theory questions were you asked?

Yellow box junction
    Flashing amber
    Overtaking on the left
    Continuous white line
    5 or 6 road signs

• Advertisement

Yellow box junction
    Flashing amber
    Overtaking on the left
    Continuous white line
    5 or 6 road signs

Yeah I got asked the same today. I got 1 grade 1 on it. He told me that I hesitated when it came to the yellow box question (I got it right but in a roundabout way :P)
    Passed anyway :) Great feeling.

First song that came on the radio when I was leaving the test center, heading home, on my own :)

Advertisement