Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daylight stabbing?

Options
  • 24-04-2012 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

Are we really becoming this bad?
    There is shock and dismay at the news a man was stabbed in broad daylight in Letterkenny town centre yesterday evening.

A man in his early 30’s was stabbed in the face, head and chest on the pavement outside Gallagher’s Hotel/McCarry's Bar on the Main Street at around 7.30pm.

It's understood the man, who is originally from the town, was home on holidays from the US where he lives.

This is the second assault involving a knife in the town within the last week. A man in his late 20s was stabbed in an apartment complex in the Mountain Top area of the town last Wednesday night.

Letterkenny Mayor Cllr Gerry McMonagle condemned the latest knife attack in the town.

“It's shocking that such a serious attack took place in full daylight and in the centre of the town. These types of attacks are becoming too frequent in Letterkenny and I would appeal to people to stop carrying knives.”

Cllr McMonagle called on the Justice Minister to introduce stiffer sentences for those who are convicted of knife crime.

He also called for a review on the Garda moratorium saying, “We need a bigger presence of Gardaí on the street to deter such attacks and instill confidence in the towns residents.”

http://www.donegalnow.com/sp/article_manager/detail/daylight_stabbing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

That's horrible & I hope the victim recovers well.

Back in 2005 my brother in law was assaulted right there on the Main Street by a group of morons. He was struck on the head with a broken wooden broomhandle and rocks were thrown at him - one of which went all the way across the road & broke the window of a business.

This was at 6pm on a weekday and the street was busy. Did anyone - even one person - stop to see if he was ok as he bled from his ear? Nope, not a one (except for the business owner across the street). Made us all sick that everyone turned the other way, when my BIL's only crime was that he had stuck up for a woman who was being harrassed by the kids.

So OP: my answer to your question would be that, yes, we are that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It's been getting progressively worse in the last number of years but the attack in the daylight hours is certainly a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Yeah, it's getting really bad in most locations nowadays. There are people out there and out of their head on crack cocaine and crystal meth and will just knife you for absolutely no reason at all. Alan shatter would want to bring in realistic sentencing for people (if you want to call them people) like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Alan Shatter is an absolute tosser tbf.

The way he is running the Gardai into the ground is shameful. It's grand cutting costs closing stations in the back arse of nowhere but what use is it in the end if we have fuck all Gardai on the street in our major population hubs?

He is clearly failing at his job as Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence.

A serious rethink is needed to streamline the AGS work, cut down on the paper work needed for an arrest and have them out actually enforcing the law on the street. That is the second serious assault to take place in the town this week, the other one just as shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

if youre going to reduce the number of garda then at least we should get a quid pro quo i.e when someone commits a crime like this they should be taken out of circulation permanently. They should never be allowed roam the streets again. Period. Build prisons for them on government land in the middle of nowhere instead of this brown paper bag developer land in dublin city centre which is horsesshit. If we cant even afford the cheap prison option then make them live in tents on an island somewhere or ship them out to cheaper prisons in other countries so long as we can get an agreement guaranteeing our 100% jurisdiction over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

It was the brother of my friends girlfriend, the guy sliced him open with a stanley knife from just above his left eye to the bottom of his jaw, if he went any further down it would have been his neck, scarred for life. Shocking doesnt describe why this happened. I hope the person who done it goes behind bars for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone detained/charged in connection with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

muffler wrote: »
    Anyone detained/charged in connection with this?

I haven't heard anything since yesterday, no one was arrested yesterday according to my friend. All he said was that the guards knew who it was but were waiting on all the statements before making the arrest, apparently they were looking for an excuse to get this guy for a while. Looks like they got it now. Id imagine they want solid evidence before making the arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The world has been a sh1t place for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Just as bad as this was the guy who bit a chunk out of another guys face in Letterkenny at the weekend.. what is it coming to here.. what kind of animal does that ??

The gards have to toughen up a bit imo they are the weakest police force i have ever saw there just isnt much respect for them amongst the young especially - ive saw people here shout and scream obscenities at them & the gards just take it all in most cases.. where im from if you swear at a cop once your warned if you do it twice your in the back of the van for the night or worse the whole weekend.

The courts do seem very weak also.. just reading the reports in the local press it seems to be the same names coming up time and time again & most times they are just punished with a fine.. & im suprised at the amount of cases where ive read that a priest or some other authority figure puts in a good word for someone and they are then let off lightly.. they should still be punished for there crime regardless if they have cleaned up there act since imo.

Anyway as someone from the UK living here these last few years thats the observations i make but i dont have the answers as such .. id hate to see Donegal travel down the same route as home and the carrying & using of knives is a disturbing new development.

Best of luck to the two people injured in these incidents & i hope the scum that did it are made an example of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Has there been any update on this?, I really hope they get the person that did this. It is totally disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

grugni wrote: »
    Has there been any update on this?, I really hope they get the person that did this. It is totally disgraceful!
    The man suspected of slashing another man in the face on Monday evening failed to appear for District Court earlier that day, according to the Donegal News this morning.

He is described as being 22 years old with a string of convictions.

Judge Paul Kelly issued a bench warrant for his arrest when he failed to turn up for his hearing.

It has emerged that the 32 year old injured party, named ********, has undergone his plastic surgery at the Mater Hospital in Dublin and been discharged from hospital.

The whereabouts of his attacker is still unknown at present but Gardaí told Donegal Now that "significant progress has been made."

I removed the name from the article but the full story is here

I know the name is in the public domain now but it just feels odd putting it up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Yep, this type of violence is here in Donegal alright:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0510/man-arrested-after-donegal-stabbing-incident.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Disgraceful behaviour, hope he is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

There is a perception out there that we live in a gloriously beautiful and peaceful violence and drug free county. Not really from people who live here in the main but certainly a lot of regular visitors seem to think this. They don't see the drunks battering one another after the nightclubs and bars disgorge them on a weekend night. Part of the problem for me is on moving home to Donegal some twenty years ago I saw drugs being openly sold in my local town at a neighbourhood watch meeting around this time I was told by a Guard that I was talking rubbish and no such thing was happening, I offered to go into various establishments buy the stuff and come out and give it to him he found this idea funny, on the same evening we discussed trouble at the weekends and we were told to our disbelief that it was just young men blowing off some steam.
    Now if this was the opinion of Garda all over the county its no wonder we find ourselves in the state we do.
    Its also time people were made to realise the consequences of their actions and courts stopped slapping these thugs on the wrists if not then we face an ever increasing spiral of violence for violence sake.

Sorry for my rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

According to the website that cant be named a male teenager appeared in court in connection with the stabbing of the female last weekend... and was released on bail, the courts are a total joke, nice to know this animal is back in the general population & will no doubt be out getting tanked up for another weekend of mayhem as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

violent crime is on the up in Ireland.. a shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

CamperMan wrote: »
    violent crime is on the up in Ireland.. a shame

Nice signature :pac:

Advertisement