Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Help Needed!

Options
  • 14-03-2012 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So Ive been recording a podcast with my friends. Ive edited it and Im trying to upload it to wordpress via the 'box widget'. But Im having major trouble with it.

The file Im trying to upload is 491mb and its a WAV file. I know this should take a significant amount of time to upload but I cant seem to figure out a way to make it happen. I also cant attach the file to an email for what ever reason?

Any suggestions are welcomed as my techie knowledge is very basic! Hope I posted this in the right place.

Regards,

Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

To be honest, I have no idea, and it might be better to ask on the Blogs/Wikis/Social Networks forum as I'd say it's more of an issue with Wordpress, but I'll leave this thread open here as several posters make podcasts too and might have had similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What bitrate did you record it at? If it's just a spoken podcast, try reducing the quality to reduce the file size. Most podcasts I download are 40mb to 80mb max (and the max is for a 2.5 hour podcast). Unless you recorded for over 12 hours straight, you should be able to get that file size down.

Hope that helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Kenism

Well its 48 mins long. Im not sure what bit rate I recorded it at! I used a dictafone and edited it on audacity. The bit rate was 32kbps and it was 14.4mb but then I had to convert it to a WAV file so I could edit it on audacity, then I edited close to 20 mins out and the mb has sky rocketed?

Would it work better if I converted to an MP3?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, definitely. WAV files are uncompressed.... depending on your settings, an MP3 of your file might be one tenth of the original size (or even smaller).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 colinmanning

You can reduce the file size very easily in iTunes. Drag the WAV file into iTunes.

In iTunes > Preferences > General > Import Settings you can select either AAC or MP3. Select the file and in Advanced > you can creat an AAC version or MP3 version. They will be much smaller. You can experiment with different bitrates to find something that gives you a nice size while preserving the quality.

Even if you successfully upload a raw WAV file, you'll find very few listeners will be prepared to download it. It's very inefficient.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

i'm late to the party but if you're a mostly spoken word podcast, consider encoding in MONO. It halves the size again. Awesomeballs!

Advertisement