Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good weights program.

Options
  • 24-10-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    Looking for a good program to get Toned and shredded. I was using free trainers.com .
    I found the workouts dont have enough in them at all. Anyone know where i can get another program?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Starting Strength

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I'll probably get slated for saying this but Starting Strength isn't the answer to every programming question. It is a really good program for beginner strength training but it isnt the bee all and end all. I have done the program myself btw.

OP, can you expand a little on what you have been doing program wise. How long have you been weight training? It would be good to know how well conditioned you are to weight training. When you say get toned and shredded, can you be a bit more specific i.e. do you mean build muscle, or lose some excess fat? I take it you just want to "look good" and arent too concerned about getting a huge bench etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

I have been Doing all upper body strength weights. Lats, Biceps, Triceps, Abs and Chest. I am at the program about two weeks but I find the program too simple.
    The workouts only last like 20mins and I need something more intense to build muscle and "look good"

Cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hey lads don't want to hiijack the thread - but looking for advice myself on a good 6/8 week program

Will I start a new thread or post a few stats here?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Moved from H&F

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

This forum's seriously going to become a dumping ground for all the H&F "rate my program"/"tell me what to do" threads.

OP, the only thing getting you toned and shredded is your diet.

How many kcals do you eat daily? grams of protein, carbs and fat?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Hanley wrote: »
    This forum's seriously going to become a dumping ground for all the H&F "rate my program"/"tell me what to do

Hopefully not, I'm hoping people start posting here first.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Satanta wrote: »
    I'll probably get slated for saying this but Starting Strength isn't the answer to every programming question. It is a really good program for beginner strength training but it isnt the bee all and end all. I have done the program myself btw.

I think he was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Satanta wrote: »

I know what you mean that its not the answer to everything. And I agree it isn't.
    But given that most threads simply amount to "I want a good program", without mentioned goals, stats, history or anything. Then SS is prob a decent guess at a suitable, simple, program until they provide more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Mellor wrote: »
    I know what you mean that its not the answer to everything. And I agree it isn't.
    But given that most threads simply amount to "I want a good program", without mentioned goals, stats, history or anything. Then SS is prob a decent guess at a suitable, simple, program until they provide more info.
    Apologies for not posting goals etc. - my bad and again not trying to hiijack the thread so I can start my own one if there's any issues?

Basically I'm 5'11 and nearly 12 and a half stone - fairly decent build.

I'd like to tone up my stomach and bulk up my arms, chest shoulders.

On top of that I'd like to improve the strength/stamina of my leg muscles - I'm grand for lower body workout but I just wanted to know if there were any go-to starting plans you'd recommend - I could put my own one together as I'm not completely new to gyming and weights programs but said I'd look for some advice.

I'd imagine for the arms I should be doing sets of 5 for bulking up, then when I'm happy with that sets of 8-12 for toning.

Stomach so far I've been using a few exercised I've seen used on P90X ab ripper program.

My main concern would be the upper body workout - If there's any exercises you'd recommend I'd appreciate it as I find myself just doing the usual tricep dips, dumbell curls, benching and want to know if there's any specific exercises I should be using instead to freshen things up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Cheers guys. Was looking around and found a good one on Simply Shredded. Its fairly intense

Advertisement