Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

game development tools

Options
  • 07-03-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I'm entering in the Imagine Cup in the Web game design category and I was wondering which products to use to make my game. I was looking up and I think Visual Studio is the way to go with silverlight and C# but I'm still confused with which to really focus on and how to do it. Can you give me some pointers for a first time game maker please.

Also I'm still a bit confused what silverlight actually is and how .NET works with it because I've read a lot about both of them together, so any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Well since you are asking in the Open Source forum I guess you are looking for the open source options?
    I've not developed with either .NET or Silverlight myself, but the Mono project is the open source version of .NET see http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Mono was developed by Suse and they also created an open version of Silverlight called Moonlight http://www.mono-project.com/Moonlight

I'm not aware of any gaming frameworks for either the open source or closed source projects... but as I said I have little knowledge of .NET.

I was going to suggest I move this to the development forum but I see you have also posted the question to WebGames forum which is probably the most appropriate place. But a word about double posting questions... it is not normally considered a good practice, the reason being if any body has a similar question in the future they might find this thread were you get some answers but not all the answers... not the answers from the other thread and vice-versa.

Good luck with the Cup...

Advertisement