Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conditional tense

Options
  • 07-11-2005 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, Just wondering if you can help me with the conditional tense.

Is there a different stem to the verb from the future like the verb etre so the stem is ser- +ending

What are the endings?

Are there many irregulars and what are the most commonly used ones?

Merci,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Etre in conditional tense

je serais
    tu serais
    il; elle serait
    ns serions
    vs seriez
    ils; elles seraient

You can check out www.verbix.com to conjugate verbs. I couldn't say if there are many irregular forms or not, or which are the most popular. I think it behaves similarly to the future tense though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

it's a spece of combinaison between the futur and the imparfait.

so, you have to take the futur fix "er" followed by the imparfait terminaison.

example :

futur : j'aimerai
    imparfait : j'aimais
    conditional : j'aimerais

i don't think there is exception to this rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

^^ thats it.

Imparfait..take the present form of the 'nous' person, drop the 'ons', the only exception is etre, which stem is -ét and add
    ais
    ais
    ait
    ions
    iez
    aient

Future..take the infintive (obv there are many exceptions), in 're' form, drop 'e', add
    ai
    as
    a
    ons
    ez
    ont

Conditional..take the infinitive, in 're' drop 'e', add
    ais
    ais
    ait
    ions
    iez
    aient

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Or instead of learning all these you can cheat like me by using www.leconjugueur.com! :p

Yeah, I know, I should be ashamed of myself... Cheating like that even though I'm French... I'm sorry...

Advertisement