Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musical Instrument Resources

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

This is to address the often asked question of "How much extra will i have to pay if I import a guitar?"

If you buy a guitar from another EU country you will not be charged additional VAT or Customs Duties
    If you buy a guitar from outside of the EU, you may be subject to an additional 21% of the guitars value for VAT. If it is an acoustic there is an additional duty of 3.2%, while electric guitars have an additional duty of 3.7%.
    Also you may be charged VAT and/or duty on the postage costs of the guitar. (This is exactly what i was told when i rang the customs office last year)

The tariffs for other instruments can be found here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/CETI_04_18.pdf
    Part 4, section VIII, chapter 92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Amp Repair In Dublin
    Aladdin's Amps
    Phone: +353-1-4935553/+353-0-862490940
    Email:aladdinsamps@yahoo.co.uk

Guitar Repair in Dublin (Marlay Park)
    Danvel Musical Instruments - Derrick Nelson
    01 4942741

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Good reading on www.guitarnuts.com

Mostly electronics, but a great guide.

Edit: more articles on amps, guitars and effects on www.legendarytones.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

If considering taking up new instruments / developing old skills & getting some tuition here's a site that helps you find teachers in your area:

http://www.learnmusic.info/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Design your own guitar:

Kisekae

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

http://www.ita.doc.gov/td/tic/tariff/EuropeanUnion.pdf

Contains a list of various import duties. Around page 371 for musical instruments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Recently purchased a Clavinova CLP-220 from piedog.co.uk. They can be a bit tricky to get hold of at first but once I made the order their service was very good. Piano took three working days to deliver. That was to Cork, so I expect Dublin would be quicker. Their prices are pretty good and I haven't had any problems with them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

http://www.axetopia.com/ - everything guitar.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I don't mean to be a complete bitch but there is absolutely no reason why http://www.kilkennyvintageguitars.com/ can't be on the Resources list.

Courtesy of Paladin, have a read of this for amplifier and ohm info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Attached is updated version of what the Doc has linked with a very careless diagram error removed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Don't forget Ibanez.com, and powertabs.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Here you go Mr. Johnny Storm:

Sound Gear Musical Instruments
    24 South Richmond Street, Dublin 2
    Tel/Fax 01-475 5794
    Tel 01-475 7226
    soundger@iol.free (that's "ger" not "gear")

The chief is Rory O'Connor and Jimmy is yer man for all things guitar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

New Shop in D15, monster Music. also has 6 rehearsal rooms. Beside Power City.
    www.monstermusic.ie
    opens late Friday if thats anyuse to you Boston B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Used guitars located here : www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box

Actual photographs of some of their new stock : www.ishibashi.co.jp/store

Outlet section, every now and then they reduce the price of a few items: http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/gw-sale/index.htm

Translator here. In the u-box they usually give a sentence or two about the guitar down the bottom. Just cut and paste the text to see what they are saying.

Prices: Japanese sales tax is 5%. They don't charge this for exports, if you see two prices for an item, you'll be paying the lower one. Currency converter here

Shipping: Ishibashi ship by EMS, average cost for an electric guitar is about 18,000 yen. Usually takes about a week, and can be tracked on the internet.

How to buy : email them with INTERNATIONAL ORDER in the email title. Tell them what you want (or are interested in), and where it is (eg u-box). Ask whatever you want about its condition etc. They'll reply with your answers, the full price, and info on how to buy it. Payment is by credit card.

Customs charges are all detailed above. Don't buy any item without being able to afford to pay roughly 25% on top of the TOTAL COST (ie including shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Alright, well i'll get things started.

In kilkenny,there's essaness on rose inn street and broderick's on new building lane, off of parliament street.

Both places seems to be good for instrument repairs,but i've heard broderick's is better for amplifier/keyboard/electronics repairs.

No dedicated luthiers that i know of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement