Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Eircom Been Harassing you at Home Then?

Options
  • 23-05-2003 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

...the infamous winback campaign where they arrive and promise you discounts to come back....the ones that they never deliver on to the mugs who believe them.

Monday is the last day to Complain about WINBACK activities to Comreg.

They will then issue a decision on winback by the end of next week , see their Work Program Here

"ComReg's investigation/monitoring of eircom's CPS win back procedures Information Notice = May"

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd sticky this for the day but more people seem to read threads when they're not stickied (following Vexorg's research on the ForSale forum). Besides, it's not going to slide on to page 2 in the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flav0rflav

Does anyone else find ComReg's site a real mess?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

After reading about everyone complaining about winback attempts by Eircon for the last few months I felt a bit left out cause they never tried to winback me who filled their coffers with on average €400-500 every 2 months.

In the last 2-3 weeks though we have been getting a call 2-3 times a day at the same times from an 0800 number. We never answerred it cause I reckoned it was an automated telemarketting call or something similar. They called yesterday and when I tried to ring back the number a few times it was always engaged. I decided to ring Directory enquiries to find out what the number was. I read out the number and she wouldn't tell me!! She said to try Eircoms nuisance call number instead. I didn't and headed off to work.

The number rang again in the evening and my mother decided to answer it. It turns out the calls had been winback calls from from an Eircom employee who happens to live around the corner. The mother knows a little bit about UTV from me brainwashing her and was therefor able to remember some of the pertainent details of the information she was given.

Apparently it was somewhat of a Broadband/Winback call. She told my mother that Eircom where good value for internet use. So mum asks her why our 2 monthly bill had gone from €500 down to €200 with UTV. She accepted mums point but then said, but you can get 'flat rate' broadband now from Eircom for €55 a month(she did explain the cap but says no one would ever go over it cause the 4 gigs was the size of the average hard drive!! Ya gotta love me mum cause she tells her that we had a 20gig drive in our old 5 year old PC and have a 60gig in our newer 2 year old one!! :)). The mother then says, eh no, Eircon said our line failed. The girl said that she could get broadband around the corner and it was probably the ISDN that caused the fail. The girl also said that UTV's stipulation that you take their phone service as well and their 3 month contract was illegal!! (what about Eircons 12month BB contract!!)She also said that Eircoms call rates were cheaper. Mum said that her son(me) had told her that UTV's call rates were 25% cheaper. The girl said no that UTV were 'sneaky' and that there was a minimum call charge of 15c (yeah, if all your calls with utv are less than 20 seconds, Eircon would be cheaper, but come on. how many calls are that short!!)

That was pretty much it. She told mum to tell me to ring her if I was interested in BB. I could ring BB engineer straight away but I should really ring her first cause she 'knew' someone in the engineering department!

Mum pretty much new her stuff and at the beginning feigned ignorance and told the girl she should probably ring me, but when the girl started telling porkies mum couldn't resist and had to correct some of the girls 'facts'. She was a little bit worried about the 'illegal' bit about having to take UTV's phone service, but I explained that if UTV had transferred you CPS?? over to them without telling us, then it would be illegal but seeing as the were up front and told you of this stipulation at the very beginning, there was nothing illegal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

UTV don't have a minimum call charge of 15c. They have a 3.87c setup fee which is added to all calls. I've quite a few short calls on my bill which costed less than 10c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

classic stuff calibos

i also have my old folks educated, and they like spreading the word

eircom is a no go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Since I moved to UTV I've had 4 Eircom representitives call to my door to try and get me to move my calls business back to them - now that may sound resonable to some people, they are trying to winback customers that have decided to move, for whatever reason, to another company............

........however, and this is really beginning to piss me off, the people they send out have absolutely no idea of what the competition is offering and are just trained to keep saying over and over again that they are cheaper than the opposition - which is just blatently lying. Take my case for example, we have calls of maybe at most 10 Euros every two months, my bills have been made up of Internet Usage. These Eircon people come out to me (2 Austrailians, a South African and 1 Irish guy - not a thing against people working here from other countries, but it's the kind of job people get when they are travelling around, and get no training cause they don't care too much) anyway, each time I've had to explain to them what their customers offer and why I left in the first place - this has been both post and pre BB, they all say you wouldn't be interested then - but they still try and sell me on the discounts for calls and the friends and family stuff - in effect each time they've sent someone out to annoy me they've spent more than they would get from me going back to them, but I'm glad - I've managed to keep my cool each time, and be pleasant at all times cause I know these guys aren't at fault - it's the job they've been asked to do..........
    but seriously can Eircon not work out that I won't be going back to them at the present time with their poor services and even worse customer services ????????????

it's crazy.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They phoned my house a while ago. They specifically asked for my mother. I suspect they believed she wouldn't have a clue about computers, and would be easier to convince. They were right in that she didn't have a clue, but she still effectively told them to bugger off.

When I found out about them doing this, I was pretty disgusted. Their service was pretty shoddy at the best of times, and they were trying to dupe people into buying their Broadband "service". Thanks to you folks I was able to give them a few facts about Eircom (we're with UTV right now, it's not perfect but it's a damn sight better than Eircom).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've recieved numerous calls from eircom since i switched , i'm usually very blunt about what i think of their service and specifically ask not to be contacted. the last time however i was politer than normal (i still told 'em to shag off tho) a few days after i receive a letter informing me that in a recent conversation with me eircom were delighted to hear that i was considering moving back to them, please fill in this form etc etc!!!

I've been meaning to complain to the f***er who's name was on this letter but i've lost it :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

caller-id is great. I NEVER answer the 800207407 (sic) number that comes up when Eircom call to win back my heart - figure it'll stop then hassling some other CPS punter while my phone rings out, again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Originally posted by Bambi
    I've been meaning to complain to the f***er who's name was on this letter but i've lost it :mad: :mad:

Bambi,

That should be Alan Fox.

Comreg's answer to this is that you should waste more of your time by contacting eircom's customer care department on 1800 200 481 and requesting that your name be removed from Eircom's winback list. This will take at least 20 minutes of your day, following which Eircom may or may not actually do what you ask them to.

If Eircom fail to remove you from the list, Comreg would like you to build up a case history with Name, Address, Tel no, Account no, Complaint reference number, Full description of complaint, Dates, Times, and Names of eircom staff you have dealt with in relation to the complaint.

This should be enough to deter you, but if it doesn't, then Comreg may reluctantly take your case. This will normally result in a standard letter of apology from Eircom and Comreg will close the case as a victory. At this point it should be noted that you may still be on the winback list.

If however you know of any pirate radio stations in operation, just ring Comreg direct and they will be around in 15 minutes with the sledge hammers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Occidental
    Bambi,
    That should be Alan Fox.

Email afox@eircom.ie and cc info@comreg.ie instead of hanging on the phone. Demand that Alan take you off the winback list immediately and then mail you back, cc info@comreg.ie when he has done so. Also mail Alans boss, Charlotte Moran cmoran@eircom.ie . One email should be quite enough!

Any more crap from Winback .....then you have a genuine complaint. Calls from Eircom with the DELIBERATELY SPOOFED Caller ID 800207407 (it should properly be 1800207407 which takes you into Eircom Telesales) should end forthwith.
    If however you know of any pirate radio stations in operation, just ring Comreg direct and they will be around in 15 minutes with the sledge hammers.

I have an idea , Can someone get me a tape loop of 'moaning noises' and a transmitter that will work in the range 88-108 Mhz . Phil Nolans house is normally empty during the day :D . You probably wont get the tape recorder or the transmitter back, I'm tellin ya now so ya dont get thick about it .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Comreg's answer to this is that you should waste more of your time by contacting eircom's customer care department on 1800 200 481 and requesting that your name be removed from Eircom's winback list. This will take at least 20 minutes of your day, following which Eircom may or may not actually do what you ask them to.
    Pfft, waste of time as you've said. Data Protection Act, section 6. Tell them you want off their list (you may have to drop them a letter but they're required to let you know where to send it) - they'll have to write you a nice note telling you that you've done so. If they don't, send the Data Protection Commissioner an email. He's one person who can actually do his job, does actually do his job and is interested in doing his job. That'll take three minutes of your day and they're required to comply.

I've no time to fire in the details as I've a Comp Sci exam tomorrow and really shouldn't be spending time replying on the forum at all. Later in the week if no-one steps up before then.

Advertisement