Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sites for Purchasing DVDs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

www.kelkoo.co.uk

best price comparison for.. anything on the net

www.play.com

highly competitive prices for dvds and games (where i buy all my stuff)

nice one!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

well thats pretty much much all the sites:mad: if you are looking for some thing pecific Google it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

i havent tried the rest, but i think play and cdwow are very reliable
    good prices (a lot better than our crazy shops anyway!), free delivery and very good delivery times.
    just before xmas i ordered dvds from both of them and they arrived within about 3 days, which is nice, given the busy season and all.

but beware of ordering ouside of EU..i ordered a lovely cheap smallville S1 box set from amazon.com and they put the value on the outside: so i got stung with about 19 yoyo's import duty..wont be doing that again! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Superteddy

I have been around along time.

This is a quick review of online sites.

DO NOT USE np247.com,they are fraudsters,

USE play.com(but not their USA play247!-very expensive for some reason.),cheapest for the majority,plus roughly 7 working days maximum delivery time,free of charge.I expect quicker delivery times,but heh...who's in a rush?.

USE cdwow.ie,they are not as good as play.co,in my opinion,but i have never had a problem.They generally ship orders within 3 working days,takes sometimes 5 working days or less to get to you!..So it balances out with play.com on delivery times.
    Also,very cheap on criterion dvds,and some COLLECTIONS go for cheap.

DO NOT USE loaded247.co.uk,or loaded247.com....they take longer for delivery times,and also-customer service is totally unsatisfactory.

USE pricestorm.com...very reliable and some dvds are cheapest with them.

USE choicesdirect.co.uk....Sometimes,i get dvds in a matter of 3 working days..good and quick.But they can also go as far as one week.Their prices are not low,but once again,some bargains on some dvds...

USE amazon.co.uk.....not amazon.com(postage is murder).
    amazon.co.uk used deals or independant sellers new dvds...are nearly always delivered within a week,and as good customer service as play.com

DON'T USE dvd empire,dvd planet......cd wow is cheaper,if they stock the goods.If u must use one..use dvdsoon..Slow to react to you,but the goods get there eventually..not a scammer....cd universe/video universe also quite satisfactory..but only tried once.

USE dv-depot...from Canada...they can send By DHL...goods arrive in 2 working days!!!..at only about 9 euro postage.Especially on large orders,if u want to pay the extra dime.They are a great service.

******USE northamericandvd...this is a little gem,nobody knows about,am i right???
    they send dvds to europe,in about a week...for 3 dollard postage,not bad.
    ALL their R1 dvds are cheaper than cd wow,i find.

USE ezy dvd for Australia...the best service available.

USE koreandvds,dddhouse,hkdvdstore...forget about hk flix site!!
    dddhouse send cheap asian dvds,to you..and it takes just 7 days.
    hkdvdstore have a quick postal service also,for like a couple of euro extra..
    koreandvds have been very satisfactory also..and stock alot

yesasia...i have stayed away from them,for some reason.

USE your head!,splashdvd and np247.com ripped me off.
    Any site with no phone contact(forget toll free)..stay away from them.Or customer service that you have experienced do not reply in 24 hrs...GET THE HELL OUT of there,while u have the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Superteddy

USE DVD.CO.UK...
    did i mention that??..

2 pounds shipping...but some of their goods are cheaper than other sites.Worth the search.

Ordered this morning,they have posted this afternoon...i should get it in 1-3 working days they say.
    Their service has improved greatly since day one.

Highly reccomend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

CDWow.ie has a facility for paying by cheque... presumably that means they accept Irish cheques or is it just a glitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Anybody ever use dvdimport.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

http://www.djangos.com/

ive used the m a good few times now mainly for non mainstream stuff and they are prompt with their delivery and orders over 25 dollars ship for free:D:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

kust wondering if anyone knows which site or what the address is of one called Kazaam or something like that recommened to me....anyone heard of it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hyperali

i use cdwow.ie a lot. its a great website and you get really good dvd in the bargain basement. its really just a case of looking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gpsstudent

I have been informed that there is a chinese site of some description that sell the complete sopranos series 1-7 for a total of 20 yoyos however i can't find it in my searching!, Is this an urban mith or does the website actually exist??????

I heard its something like 2 dollar dvd but can't find it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Probably counterfeit:(

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

gpsstudent wrote:
    I have been informed that there is a chinese site of some description that sell the complete sopranos series 1-7 for a total of 20 yoyos however i can't find it in my searching!, Is this an urban mith or does the website actually exist??????

Probably dvd111.com - definitely dodgy discs, and takes months to arrive.

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Joesh

Has anyone used this site-http://www.filmnight.com/?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I can't recommend play.com enough, great prices and free delivery on all items. Only takes about a week and a bit to arrive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

Above what value do DVD's become liable for VAT/Duty when ordering outside the EU?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Zoton wrote:
    Above what value do DVD's become liable for VAT/Duty when ordering outside the EU?
    Any value and they're liable. Customs are unlikely to bother with a packaged envelope but if ya had a crapload in one box you might get caught out. Amazon will charge you directly 'coz they're based in the UK but, in the case of play.com (based in Jersey) or US retailers it's up to Irish customs, and your good self, to sort out the VAT. Just hope you're lucky (I've not been done yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

gpsstudent wrote:

its only series 1 - 4 and their vietnamiese

and it is dvd111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭KM

gpsstudent wrote:

It did exist but is sadly no longer, but it was www.threedollardvd.com

DVD111.COM is a joke, a nightmare to deal with they send your first order usually OK (takes a while to get delivered) and then when you place another order it just becomes a nightmare!! They may send you half the order and tell you that the rest will follow (it never did) or that it may have been lost in the post and they will replace the missing dvds (they never did) and the quality of what you do get sometimes is next to useless!! They are some great sites out there but i don't want to post them publicly as I am sure you can understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

www.dvdsoon.com as for fast shiping for canada to ireland . under a week
    just snagged electrica dvd for 14 euro
    cant complain with that.
    vry very good indeed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 sparco99

We're offering all the latest factory pressed high quality dvd movies, ps2 and xbox silvers with factory printed colour inserts at fantastic prices, whether for personal use or reselling. We're shipping worldwide with various shipping methods. For resellers, please contact us for bulk discounts.

For a complete list and prices, please email us at movieworld@time.net.my

(Please state the type of list that you want and tell us your location as the prices varies for different locations. If you're reseller, please state the quantiy you wish to order per shipment and we'll quote you a wholesale price depending on the quantity ordered.)

* If you need references, we can provide them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ixoy wrote:
    Any value and they're liable. Customs are unlikely to bother with a packaged envelope but if ya had a crapload in one box you might get caught out. Amazon will charge you directly 'coz they're based in the UK but, in the case of play.com (based in Jersey) or US retailers it's up to Irish customs, and your good self, to sort out the VAT. Just hope you're lucky (I've not been done yet).
    This isn't the case, there is actually a value below which a package is not liable for VAT and Duty. From http://www.revenue.ie/faqs/faq_cat5.htm:
    Goods of Negligible Value

Packages, other than those containing tobacco or tobacco products, alcoholic products, perfumes or toilet waters with a value of €22 regardless of status (for private or commercial use) are admitted free of customs duty and VAT under the scheme commonly known as "small packages" relief.
    The equivalent figure for the UK is £18 AFAIK. Conveniently DVDs will tend to fall below this value. This is one of the main reasons that so many DVD/CD vendors are based in the Channel Islands, and why they have a policy of dispatching discs individually. So you can import without fear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

For some reason, and for quite some time now www.amazon.com has been sending my packages or boxes (often multiple TV series box sets) to Germany first, and the box then gets sent on from Germany. (Yes, the postage on Amazon is high, but their box sets are often as little as €30 - which was great when the exchange rates favoured the euro.)

Anyway, it is probably cheaper for Amazon to send all their European shipments to Germany first and then dispatch from there, but could their apparent origination in Germany on the postage label (and not the US) explain why I've never had a single one checked by customs? (Or have I just been lucky with every single shipment? The above posts suggest that even German-originated boxes would be looked at.)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'm a big fan of dvdsoon.com at the moment. They have some amazing prices, and with their iFidelity card offer you can save 10% or more and get free shipping. You save alot of money going up against the Canadian dollar too.

The only problem I have is that it can take a very long time between when you place and order and when they ship the order. The shipping itself is pretty fast though. They also have an excellent selection of anime DVDs.

As for the other big Canadian site, dvdboxoffice.com. I wouldn't recommend them at all. I know myself and several others have had huge problems with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yeah DVDSoon can be great with prices until they introduce the free shipping and the prices soar. Cdwow can be good with discount links and vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

doh.ie wrote:
    For some reason, and for quite some time now www.amazon.com has been sending my packages or boxes (often multiple TV series box sets) to Germany first, and the box then gets sent on from Germany.
    I don't think it's that Amazon themselves are sending the packages via Germany, it's more likely that the delivery service they use for Europe either is German or hands over to a German company; for example DHL is owned by Deutsche Post and I think USPS hands over to GLS, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

blorg wrote:
    I don't think it's that Amazon themselves are sending the packages via Germany, it's more likely that the delivery service they use for Europe either is German or hands over to a German company; for example DHL is owned by Deutsche Post and I think USPS hands over to GLS, etc.

Makes sense.

As for the German postage sticker - do you think this explains why the Irish customs don't really look at the boxes (despite a US declaration for the full amount), or have I been lucky all this time?

Or would I be better going for those which post discs individually? Amazon's prices are ace, but I reckon one of these days I might be stung for a nasty customs bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

might wanna add DVDempire.com ..preety sweet stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Word of warning on DVDSoon they seem to experiencing difficulties judging by the thread on www.thedvdforums.com and also the lenght of time they are taking to ship my last 2 orders. It would be shame if they went titsup.com but the omens are not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement