Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feed back noise on RTÉ weather forecasts

Options
  • 12-08-2002 2:01pm

For a few months now, when the weather is done after the six and nine news on RTÉ one there has been feedback noise audible only when the weather forecaster is talking.
    It goes when the forecast goes to the summary chart.

Thing is...this has been ongoing for months now and they haven't bothered to fix it....:rolleyes:
    Maybe my ears are sensitive but its quite audible..
    Any how I've identified it as being sound from UTV of all things...
    And before you ask, it's nothing to do with the set up here, it's been on all tv's I've checked in a good few houses.
    mm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Perhaps the lads up in Met Eireann are transfixed by UTV, refusing to lower the sound even during broadcast? Heck, perhaps this is where they get their weather information. LOL :)*Just say what they said, sure no one minds the weather forecast anyway*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I'd sooner be listening to Gerald Fleming or the "lovely Leitrim" chappy than Frank "I wanna be Martin King" Mitchell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah, I'd noticed that on the few occasions I watch the 9.30 forcast slot. Like so much at Montrose they either don't know or don't much care.

Thats appears to be the case Mike...
    But I'd like to think Genghis is right too:D
    I too prefer the professional forecasters like Gerald Flemming.
    I don't feel confident listening to the "weather presenters".
    Speaking of them...
    I noticed last week that one of RTÉ's weather presenters Brian Cummins was doing the Weather on BBCi !
    I remember when he started on RTÉ (at the time there was uproar at RTÉ's getting rid of the G Flemming etc), he was interviewed on Pat Kenny's radio show and he said he didn't know the difference between an isobar and a mars bar!!!

And now he's on BBCi, doing their forecasts...ah well...
    mm

The BBC are changing the position on this, having weather presenters rather than proper forecasters.

Cummins and Carol Kirkwood (puuurrr!!) spring to mind. Both are not meteorologists, mere presenters. All the rest are straight out of the Met Office.

Altogether now... John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman. John Kettley is a weatherman, and so is Michael Fish. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman. John Kettley is a weatherman, and so is Michael Fish. :D:D

Lads, could someone please help Damo to a seat while I run off and get some asprin. :)

Originally posted by ShaneOC

Lads, could someone please help Damo to a seat while I run off and get some asprin. :)
    I remember that song too:eek: :D :eek:
    t'was in the charts when I was a lad..
    mm
    "John Kettley is a ......#...."
    anyone got the mp3?:D

why, YES! and the original 45.... somewhere....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah yes John Ketley takes me back...the summers were better back then y'know, kids...anyway going slightly OT I was watching the forcasts on RTE and BBC today for Wednesay/Tommorow and they were completely differenet! Wet and dull all day on the beeb and wet but then brighter/dryish on RTE. I blame the invasion of "presenters" over peeps with letters after thier names.

I just don't belive a word of ITVs forcasts. Ever! :)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

That is by far and away the weirdest thing I have heard in ages. And I've heard some strange things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ah that takes me back.

Theres also some vintage michael fish samples at the start of Weather Experience ,a song on the Prodigy Experience. Classic stuff:)

Advertisement