Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland and Nigeria Soccer

• 16-05-2002 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

45 mins gone

Nigeria 1 Ireland 0

Half Time

Duff is playing very well, but some of the other lads are not pulling their weight.

Robbie Keane has got some good crosses but he has not produced much.

Kinsella is dire, giving the ball away.

And Roy Keane is a little off tonight lacking leadership.

Will this be the team in Japan? I hope not!

Answer for the 2nd half
    Bring on
    Connolly, Morrison and Quinn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭JacquesPompidou

Who will McCarthy change for the first and second world Cup matches, will he replace Robbie Keane with Morrison or Quinn

Don't Reid and Gary Kelly deserve a place?

The Republic of Ireland's World Cup preparations suffered a minor setback after England's Group F opponents Nigeria secured a 2-1 win in Dublin.
    Despite a fine strike by the recalled Steven Reid, Mick McCarthy's men lost their proud two-year unbeaten home record after first-half strikes by Julius Aghahowa and Efe Sodje earned the win for The Super Eagles.

But it was Ireland who started the brightest with Damien Duff's tricky down the flanks causing the Africans plenty of problems and his wizardry almost produced an opener for Robbie Keane after just two minutes.

However, ten minutes later Aghahowa blasted Nigeria into the lead when he raced clear of Steve Staunton to fire a low drive past Shay Given after an excellent throughball from Jay Jay Okocha.

Ireland pressed for an equaliser and could have drawn level when Matt Holland saw a long-range drive strike the foot of the post, whilst Leeds striker Keane again should have notched when his free header from Jason McAteer's cross sailed agonisingly past the post.

But it was the Nigerians who scored next when Crewe defender Sodje headed home a right-wing corner unchallenged past the stranded Given to leave the Irish with a mountain to climb.

After failing to make the required impact, McCarthy changed his pack with four quick-fire substitutions, and two of those combined to put Ireland back into the game when Reid exchanged passes with Clinton Morrison inside the area and fired an unstoppable drive past Ike Shorunmu in the Nigeria goal.

Ireland pressed forward in search of the equaliser and almost snatched a draw when Reid's work down the right resulted in Mark Kinsella firing home from close range, but their joy was shortlived when the strike was ruled out for offside.

Ireland will be disappointed to lose their unbeaten two-year record, but will be pleased to come through the game without any injury concerns, whilst England will obviously have taken notice with their World Cup encounter against the Africans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

harte,kilbane and mcateer all played woeful

finnan played outstanding i thought and staunton did well too

ian harte just seems to much of a risk to have in our back 4 and so maybe Mick should go with Kelly in @ left back

stephen reid deserves to get mcateers place and duff should takover left wing leaving morrison and keane upfront but i doubt thats gonna happen Mick seems intent on sticking with the players who got us through in the first place which could backfire on us

we deserved a draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

what sleepwalker said

kilbane,duff an keane just dont work together,there's no point in crosing it into the box cause its allways gonna get cleared
    u put duff on the left runing past defenders than crosing it into keane and morrsion we'll get chances and hopefully score
    our defence isnt the best anyway so kilbane playin wont do anything, we should play an attacking team for once we could own

reid on the right
    duff on left
    keane,kinsella center mid
    keane and morrision upfront
    sorry kilbane your sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Aye Kilbane is ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

that was the best freindly match i have seen in a long time.
    hope noone was too tired after it .
    kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We lost so what, as kdja said it was the best friendly match in a long time. That Nigerian team is very good and what I really liked about them is they pressed to get the ball off us even in our own half. They will cause England serious problems.

On the other hand I though Ireland played well except for a few problems, Kilbane gave the ball away too much, McAteer wasn't his normal self and Keane looks like he is still carrying an injury. They need to convert their chances in front of goal. Robbie wasted a golden opportunity but I'm fairly confident that they will play well in Japan.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

i dont care that we lost at all t'was a good match
    i care that kilbane might be starting during the world cup games and if tha happens he'll give the ball away again and again
    u dont see arsenal/liverpool/united wanting to buy duff as a striker
    play him on the left mick!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Better to lose that match than the one on June 1st. I think this wake up call will do us the power of good and besides our performance on the night was more than acceptable. I don't think this defeat has suddenly exposed us as a bad team all of a sudden. We will be ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭JacquesPompidou

Cameroon will Top the Group.
    Ireland or Germany second place.

Germany may do Ireland a favour by loosing to Cameroon as they have a weak defence and injured players.

Cameroon also have injuries but I still think they are strong they have topped the Group or scored well in many other World cups USA94 France98 Italia90.....

They also have a weak defence, and the keeper is dodgy at times.

Ireland need to be at their best. The first game is vital.

10-9 days time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

France Worried:
    Zidane injured as France edge past Korea
    By Pierre SerisierSUWON, South Korea (Reuters) - Zinedine Zidane sustained a thigh injury as France completed preparations for their World Cup defence by beating South Korea 3-2 in a friendly on Sunday.

Zidane was substituted in the 38th minute after complaining of a problem in his left thigh, just five days before France play Senegal in the opening match of the World Cup.

France defender Frank Leboeuf slotted home the winning goal with just one minute remaining in a tight game against South Korea, who suffered their first defeat in eight matches in front of 43,000 fans.

"When a side like Korea is backed by their public, they become very dangerous," Lemerre said. "We have suffered a lot.

"We have had to fight hard to cope with the skills, with physical challenge proposed by the Koreans and with their strong will. We have been very often outpaced. But we never gave it up and we managed to win in the end."

France, who lost 2-1 at home to Belgium last week, knew they could not afford another setback and they made a fast start.

Germany Deadly:
    Germany 10 Miyazaki 0

Germany, playing in unusual red shirts to underline the unofficial status of this game, boosted their self-confidence ahead of their World Cup opener against Saudi Arabia by putting ten goals past a hapless Miyazaki's youth team.

The game, which was not approved by Fifa, was used by coach Rudi Voller to experiment with his defensive formation, after key defenders Jens Nowotny and Christian Worns were ruled out of the tournament.

Hertha Berlin defender Marko Rehmer made his first start in three months, and his assured display makes him a reliable alternative to Borussia Dormund youngster Christoph Metzelder.

Ramelow, of Bayer Leverkusen, looks almost certain to start against the Saudis, and his comfort with the ball at his feet will see him start as the spare man in the back-three.

Voller did not set much store by the game, but felt the match gave his players a welcome distraction from the relentless routine of training.

The visitors needed 17 minutes to make their physical superiority over the small Japanese youngsters count, when defender Thomas Linke opened the scoring with a header from Bernd Schneider's cross.

England 2 Cameroon 2
    A superior Cameroon side led twice through goals from Samuel Eto'o after five minutes and Geremi after 58, before Fowler boosted injury-hit England's morale.

"It's always good not to lose a football game," Eriksson said, before paying tribute to the two substitutes who combined in the dying seconds to repeat Darius Vassell's first-half equaliser.

"A Robbie Fowler goal with Teddy Sheringham involved, it's good to have those two on the bench," he said. "They're both finishers.

"We did good things today, and there are things we must do better if we want to have a good result against Sweden."

England have suffered on the injury front recently, with three players ruled out of the World Cup and captain David Beckham and Kieron Dyer both struggling to recover.

NO CRITICISM

"It was a friendly game today. Of the players out on the pitch, no-one wanted to lose -- but on the other hand, no-one wanted to be injured.

"All of them know that in one week's time it gets really important. I think that's fair and okay, one week before the World Cup starts."

The Cameroon game followed an equally disappointing England result last Tuesday when they drew 1-1 with South Korea at Sogwipo following a particularly poor second half performance.

"It's been good to have these two games," Eriksson said. "First of all you learn that football is never easy any more and, secondly, it's good to meet different kinds of football.

"There was a lot of good quality in the Cameroon team, as there will be when we meet Nigeria in the last game of the group."

England face Argentina on June 7 before meeting the African side on June 12.

But Eriksson knows he must sort out England's problems long before then

Big Phil with Brazil
    Luiz Felipe Scolari, known as 'Big Phil', knew what to expect when taking over from Emerson Leao at the head of the most decorated team in football, but few would have imagined such a tumultuous ride. After a disastrous Copa America, Scolari came close to going down as the first manager to fail to bring Brazil to the World Cup finals but
    Brazil are back!!

Brazil 4 - 0 Malaysia

Spain winners!
    Spain hold on in Ulsan
    Group B favourites Spain hung on to win 1-0 against Korean side Ulsan Hyundai Horang-i in their last friendly match before the World Cup today.

Italian skill
    Inzaghi injured in Italy's warm-up win
    First-half goals from Filippo Inzaghi and Christian Vieri gave Italy a 2-1 win over Japanese champions Kashima Antlers in a World Cup warm-up game on Sunday. But Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni was forced to take off Inzaghi in the 29th minute, with the striker appearing to suffer a thigh injury.

http://worldcup2002.eurosport.com/home/pages/wcup/L0/news_Lng0_Sto286325.shtml

Matt Holland has lacerated Roy Keane for "abusing the manager, the players and himself in a hard-hitting interview in the London Independent.
    "I described the World Cup as a "pretty big show" in last week's column. Well, courtesy of Roy Keane it turned into the world's biggest story. Considering what else has been in the news, that's quite a statement.

"Never have I witnessed such a foul-mouthed tirade as Keane subjected the manager Mick McCarthy to during that fateful team meeting in Saipan on Thursday."

"McCarthy walked in holding sheets of paper that were transcripts of some interviews Keane had given earlier in the week, the gist of which is public knowledge and concerned the supposedly amateurish preparations and training on Saipan."

"I think the manager wanted an apology from Keane, not so much to himself but to the rest of the players whom Keane had accused of "accepting second best" among other compliments."

A little humility from Keane and it would have been a simple "clear the air" meeting as McCarthy intended but when he waved the papers at Keane and asked "What is all this about?", Keane reacted aggressively, immediately trying to defend himself.

"He wanted the discussion to be between him and McCarthy only in other words, in private but McCarthy explained that it was Keane's own actions that had made everything public so it was to be dealt with in front of the whole squad."

"The rest of us just sat there. Keane refused to apologise for his comments. In fact he reiterated that he still stood by them and then he launched an abusive attack on the manager. It was absolutely extraordinary to listen to, and like the rest of the squad, I was stunned."

More Irish football news from Soccercentral.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Kim Tae-Woo

Brazil are back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Nihon

Advertisement