Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rename The Twin Towers!

Options
  • 05-05-2002 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

http://www.petitiononline.com/twotower/

Please Note: The Two Towers is the title of the JRR Tolkien book originally published in 1954, the second book of The Lord of the Rings trilogy. The title was thus established some 47 years prior to the attacks on the World Trade Center towers, and there is no evidence to suggest that Peter Jackson meant anything by continuing the same title other than faithfulness to the beloved Tolkien classics. Furthermore, the two distant, opposing towers in the Tolkien classic have very little if anything in common with the two matching towers of the World Trade Center. — PetitionOnline.com

To: Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema
    Those of us who have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring know what an amazing director Peter Jackson is. When I learned that there apparently was to be a sequel, I was overjoyed. However, Peter Jackson has decided to tastelessly name the sequel "The Two Towers". The title is clearly meant to refer to the attacks on the World Trade Center. In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgiveable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant. Hopefully, when Peter Jackson and, more importantly, New Line Cinema see the number of signatures on this petition, the title will be changed to something a little more sensitive.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
    932. Sean Curtin - Whoever this Tolkein guy is, he's an insensitive ashole if he's making a movie with a title like that. I'll bet he's not even American!! What gives him the right!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

It's got to be a joke right? Can people really be that thick?

edit:
    Just read it and a lot of the signatures are clearly taking the piss. Also noted that where it says "false entry voided", the signature is still counted. Virtually all of the entries say "false entry voided"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

I wholeheartedly agree with Mr. Curtin - how dare this man make a mockery of the tragedies of September 11th in such a direct and cruel manner!

Seriously though, that is a pisstake, right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Fu<king americans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

naturally, theres a petition against a petition. democracy rocks!

http://www.petitiononline.com/trutower/

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. heh.
    Well, that's pretty dumbassed alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

DrunkLeprachan. do you need a glass of water. a simple LOL would be fine when laughing online. :)

anyway, i think the title should stay, but the scene where Gandalf and Frodo discuss destroying the dark tower of Mordor by flying a plane into it should go.

online petitions are the breeding grounds for trolls. sure most of them are fine but it doesnt make any difference in the end if anyone signs them. (snopes)
    Seriously though, that is a pisstake, right?
    when the first signature is someone called "I fuck Pandas", its definitely got to be a pisstake.

adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Of the 1124 signatures I'd say less than 30 are not "false entry voided". What makes it worse is the fact that some people agree with the petition for real.
    This petition was brought to you by the letters d, u, m and b.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Are you sure this is not a piss take?
    In this post-September 11 world, it is unforgiveable that this should be allowed to happen. The idea is both offensive and morally repugnant.

They must not know a thing...

Remember: September 11 was a provoked attack upon the US for making other people fight there war then leave them for sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i can't help it...i seriously dislike Americans...for ****ing up my movie and book experience...
    The bad thing is , Americans would actually do it if they had the chance to change this title..i saw a nice one 'Sauron Strikes Back'

-Burps-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

932. Sean Curtin Whoever this Tolkein guy is, he's an insensitive ashole if he's making a movie with a title like that. I'll bet he's not even American!! What gives him the right!!!!

That says it all really...dosent even bother to read the front page...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

There are some true wits out there on the Interweb.

Here's a selection of my faves, for those who dont want to trawl through all the pages :
    TOLKIEN WAS A PROFIT, HE PREDICTED WTC BOMBING 47 YEARS BEFORE THE FACT, AND THE THIRD MOVIE IS RETURN OF THE KING. JESUS IS COMING BACK YOU HAD BETTER RECOGNIZE
    they have no sensitivity, i wont even let my two twin kids stand next to each other out of respect for 9/11
    I think it would be best, in light of recent events, if the film was simply not shown at all. And by "recent events" I mean "that ****ing awful first Lord of the Rings film."

Hmmm. Short selection.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I have one thing to say. HA!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well thats it, thought there was hope for some Americans but I just guess there is'ent anymore
    sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

they have no sensitivity, i wont even let my two twin kids stand next to each other out of respect for 9/11

Oh dear lord, that's some funny shit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Is that REALLY what somebody wrote, that they won't let their twin kids stand next to each other out of respect after September 11? (By the way, and TOTALLY OT, why, 8 months after the event, is it still impossible to listen to certain radio stations for a full day without "September 11" being mentioned? Who else wishes to see these events, dreadful as they were, consigned to the history book and not brought up day in and day out?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yeah I'd have to agree, its getting dragged out to much, besides more people have died in other countrys (though not all at the same time) and yet there's hardly a mention by the media about such things.

Its all double standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I agree, the director Mr. Tolkien should immediately change the name for the respect of the people lost in the empire state building crash, the families of mr Trump will be hurt when they see this movie,, making it would be wrong!

Just about sums it up really.

Advertisement