Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Palmarian catholic church

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Just saw the show on tv3 tonight. Heartbreaking.:( I'm guessing that was you interviewed Peanuthead? Your story sounded very similar? You did very well.

My friends Gran has invested thousands in Christina Gallagher's cult, shes even put them in her will.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Watched the documentary on TV3 tonight. Was very informative! Amazing how so many people are easily brainwashed by various cults! They're all just businesses, preying on people's vulnerabilities and gullibility, at the end of the day! Scary stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

This "religion" is being discussed on Liveline this week. I had never heard of it before yesterday. Sounds like a very scary cult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Asiaprod wrote: »
    That is not in fact correct, there is quite a lot known about this church. Established by an insurance broker who claimed to have had a visitation from the Virgin Mary who asked him to clean up the Church and who was mystically crowned Pope by Jesus Christ in a vision. I have not heard one this far out in a long time. IMHO they seem to be rather a dodgy crowd. There is a small Irish twist at the end of the following article:

The Palmarian Catholic Church (One Holy Catholic Apostolic and Palmarian Church) is a schismatic sect of the Roman Catholic Church with its own pope opposed to the Bishop of Rome. The Palmarian Church was established in 1975 by Clemente Domínguez, an insurance broker from Seville, Spain, who claimed the Virgin Mary appeared to him at a shrine outside the small village of El Palmar de Troya in Andalucia with instructions to rid the Roman Catholic Church of "heresy and progressivism."
    He set up his own Holy See in Seville in 1978 claiming he had been mystically crowned Pope by Jesus Christ in a vision. He took the name Pope Gregory XVII and named his own cardinals. Uniquely, the Popes of the Palmarian Church do not claim to be the titular Bishop of Rome, rather they claim that Jesus mystically transferred the position of Patriarch of the West and Supreme Pontiff to the Episcopal see of Palmar de Troya. Mainstream Catholics (most sedevacantist and mysticalist claimants) disagree that the Papacy can be transferred from the See of Rome based on personal revelations. Related to that、 Catholic doctrine holds that personal revelations are not universally binding on the whole Church.
    Palmarian Pope Gregory XVII called the body conventionally recognized as the official Catholic Church a false church, saying "John Paul is seated on Rome's seven hills and holds in his hand the golden cup of filth and fornication." He excommunicated Pope John Paul II. He also canonized Francisco Franco and Christopher Columbus as saints.
    Upon Domínguez' death in March 2005, Manuel Alonso Corral succeeded him as the Palmarian Pope Peter II. According to the Prophecy of the Popes (controversially accredited to St. Malachy of Ireland and deemed a forgery by many Catholics), "Petrus Romanus" (Peter the Roman) would be the final Pope.

You can read more at:
    http://www.wandea.org.pl/carmelite-order.html

This solution to the crisis in the Church is often given the name 'conclavist.' They will reject the validity of post Vatican II orders, usually. A conclavist holds that the solution is to appoint a new Pope. David Bawden of Kansas convoked a conclave of his family who elected him Pope Michael. They will often try to ensure Apostolic Succession and validly ordained priests by gaining ordination from, say, a Thuc line Bishop (Archbishop Pierre Martin Ngô Đình Thục brother of one capable South Vietnamese President, in the estimation of Hồ Chí Minh at least, rejected Vatican II and consecrated and ordained men without reference to Paul VI, i.e Thuc Line) or another Sedevantist bishop (a bishop rejecting Popes from John XXIII onwards, that is, sede vacante est).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 climac88

Yes I would like to hear more. How do you mean dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jpower49

Somewhat of a coincidence I found this thread on the same day I heard about this cult...

I was somewhat shocked about the story of a family that was on the Joe Duffy radio show today. The sister and brother(call them mary & john) were on the show. The story goes of a family torn apart by the cult with the mother following it blindly and the rest of the family somewhat out of the church. One of the brothers was in the church and suffered abuse sexually and physically. After successfully leaving the church the brother had developed Schizophrenia and was mentally gone. He also had a heart condition. The brother was excommunicated out of the church at this stage. Fast forward 22 years the Mother brings the son to Spain as a priest has said he can rejoin the church. After being in the compound in Spain the brother was reported dead having been there less than 7 days. Note this happened yesterday, Mary and John were getting all there information 3rd hand (preist told their mother who told their father who told them). The father suffers from dimentia and the mother cares for him although he doesn't follow the church and is the childerns only point of contact as the mother doesnt speak to them.

The palmarians are claiming that he died of a heart condition. There was no official police report and the death was officiated by a docter within the community. The family has no authority to retrieve their brothers remains. The palmarians stated they will cannonise the brother and bury him towmorrow. All the while they are refusing entry to the family to the funeral never mind an autopsy or second opinion on cause of death.

Sorry if details are off as I am telling this story second hand. I just thought that more people should be aware of this truly shocking story. Hopefully "Mary" and "John" will find the answers they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

I've never understood why the Spanish government doesn't do something about the Palmarian cult , then again a bit like some of the posters here, they might be too useful to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

peanuthead wrote: »
    Yes, I can be more specific:

They are an extremely controlling religion, who recruit members and then force them to leave their families. I know as this is what happened to my family. My mother was forced to walk out on her husband and four children, as this is 'god's will'. This is a short version of my story.

I was born into the Palmarian religion, as were my three siblings. My mother was introduced to the religion when she was a teenager. She met my father, and, like any religion he had to convert to marry her. At the beginning it was ok. The rules of the religion were strict, the girls must wear dresses only, no trousers. Dresses must be at least four finger-widths below the knee. Sleeves must cover the wrists, no short sleeves, tops should have a full neck, your neckline should never be exposed. You must always wear socks, and when older, pop socks, never tights or bare feet. Men were not allowed to wear shorts, or short sleeves, or have an open neck, or wear denim either. This was hard to follow, but you got used to it, and to be honest, i didnt mind, because alot of what young people wear today is a bit immoral!!!! However, as time went on, things got worse. You would accept what you couldnt do, and take comfort in what you could do, like watch the tv, listen to the radio, play with your friends, read books, etc...
    But soon them things were to be forbidden too. Any music which contained electric guitars, or any pop music was forbidden. Only country music was allowed. I remember being subjected to hours and hours of Garth Brooks, Patsy Cline and Glen Campbell. Now Im not saying anything negative about them as artists, but c'mon, for a youngster?? Watch tv? No way!! That was the devils work. I remember my sister and I used to love watching Home and Away. Imagine our upset when this was also taken away from us. As for reading books, well, following the priests direction my mother went through all of our school books, and cut out any references to magic, or sex. Now I understand parents wanting to watch what their children are reading/watching, but this all went way beyond anything!! How many religions do you know of that have classed the reading of Harry Potter as a sin?? So we were still allowed to play with our friends you ask?? Well yes, so long as their parents were married. Since I have left the religion that rule has changed and they are now forbidden to have any friends outside the religion.
    I remember as a child, physically not fitting in because of my long baggy loose clothing(to cover up my body and prevent man from sin) and my long dresses. I know this sounds silly but think back to how important fitting in was when you were a child! I remember when I went to secondary school, I used to stay in my uniform all day monday to friday, because it was the only skirt i could wear which made me feel part of the group.
    As time went by, my father left the religion. Shortly afterwards we (the children) also left. My mother remained a devout palmarian. It hurt her feelings that we left, but she was too convinced that she was doing the right thing to second think things for herself. I moved out when I started going to college, I was disowned by her because one of the lodgers in the house I rented was gay. Eventually the church made the rule that finally destroyed our family - when they told my mother she must leave her family. So on the 22nd of December 2004, my mother walked out on her family, without telling anyone she was leaving. She left a very obsure note that didnt explain anything. The least she could have done in my opinion is explain to him that this was a rule the religion had made. He may have understood, instead of being left to wonder why she left. However we were always sure the Palmarians were somehow behind it. My mother would have been the main earner in our home, so as well as leaving my father emotionally crippled, he was in a serious financial state. It ha s been almost 4 years now, and although she lives about 4 miles from our home, she has never once been in touch with us, nor never will. While I was in college, she would even visit the restaurant I worked in, all I ever got was a vacant stare. Because of the stress of this situation (being the eldest - alot tends to fall on your shoulders) I myself have become severely depressed. I am currently still getting over it, but with the help of my fabulous boyfriend and amazing friends, I am getting there. But my family has fallen apart since then We get on when we have to, but there is no family spirit between us.

I know this is an ancient thread but... Holy <snip>. You poor woman, hope youre getting on ok these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

themadhair wrote: »
    38 Haddon Road, Clontarf

Right beside one of my brothers and his wife. He never noticed against harmful or hostile about them. I joked he could have invited 'Pope Peter II' to tea.

However, as people have been reminded today by Joe Duffy, they are a weird and sinister cult. The Order of the Carmelites of the Holy Face or Christian Palmarian Church of the Carmelites of the Holy Face was founded by unemployed accountant Clemente Domínguez y Gómez who publicised what were either fake visions or delusions. He conned the ill Vietnamese Archbishop Pierre Martin Ngô Đình Thục, a man who had lost his brother Ngô Đình Diệm (the only South Vietnamese leader Ho Chi Minh rated) and his country. The Archbishop was later reconciled to the Church and stated that the consecration and ordinations were invalid. He was not in the business of providing valid orders to a perverse cult. They are controlling and money hungry. I would hope legal action could be taken against them, but the Palmarians are cunning.
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~palmardetroya/rules.htm

1. Woman may not wear trousers.
    2. Shorts are banned
    3. It is forbidden to wear any shirt or similar garment with short sleeves.
    4. Sleeves can only be rolled up for the duration of any work such as washing dishes etc.
    5. Females must wear skirts no shorter than two fingers width below the knee.
    6. Tights are banned as they are classed as mens attire. Female teens and adults may only wear stockings, female children only socks.
    7. Female babies cannot wear all in one baby suits.
    8. Shirts and blouses must be buttoned to the neck.
    9. You cannot play any sport that requires you to wear short sleeves or shorts.
    10. Visiting beaches is banned.
    11. All voting banned. e.g. Local and general elections, referendums etc.
    12. Visiting and using swimming pools is banned.
    13. Visiting night clubs is banned
    14. Denim cloth is banned, therefore wearing jeans is banned.
    15. Listening to popular / modern music is banned.
    16. Watching boxing matches is banned.
    17. Attending non-Palmarian religious services such as weddings, funerals, christenings etc is banned, for all non Palmarians even family.
    18. Males are banned from dying or bleaching hair
    19. Males cannot wear ear jewelry or other face jewelry.
    20. Receiving organ transplants is banned.
    21. Leaving or providing organs for transplant is banned.
    22. All contraception is banned.
    23. Disco’s are banned.
    24. Later introduced in addition to rule 16, All functions associated with non Palmarian religious services such as wedding breakfasts, evening functions, i.e. social functions before or after, christenings, weddings, funerals etc are banned you cannot attend even if function is family or relatives.
    25. Later above rule no. 5 was changed to increase the length of skirts below the knee from 2 to 4 or 5 fingers width.
    26. Children must be told Christmas presents are from parents and not Santa Claus as he doesn’t exist
    27. New Bible introduced, any copies of any other bibles must be burnt. This bible was authored in Spain and has many changes in comparison to the standard bible.
    28. TV programs that have people or cartoon characters outside the Palmarian dress code may not be watched. In effect this is most television, it would encompass news, documentaries, etc. etc.
    29. No social contact with any persons not dressed to the Palmarian dress code. This in effect means virtually all non-Palmarians.
    30. Nobody allowed in the home if not dressed to Palmarian dress code except workmen.
    31. In work, contact with non-palmarian co-workers must be kept to a minimum, i.e. only talk to when necessary to carry out the job and no social chat.
    32. Only religious books approved by Palmar are allowed all others banned and must be burnt. This in effect means virtually any non Palmarian authored book is banned.
    33. Any photos/images with priests who have left the order must be burn/destroyed.
    34. Religious films are banned.
    35. All prayers and hymns not contained in the Palmarian missal are banned
    36. Birthday candles on birthday cakes are banned.
    37. Contact with anyone including relatives who are living with partners and not married is banned. This would include all marriages outside the Palmarian Church since the early 1980's as these marriages are considered invalid.
    38. Throwing coins in a fountain/well/water is banned.
    39. Children must be removed to another room from their classes where non palmarian religious instruction is given.
    40. Horoscopes are banned
    41. Movies containing references to magic are banned.
    42. The neckline of a shirt or blouse etc must when worn be at least 2 fingers width above the breast bone.
    43. Christmas trees are banned.
    44. Images of Santa Claus are banned
    45. Giving or opening presents on Christmas day (25th December) is banned.
    46. Christmas presents must be given and opened on the feast of the Epiphany

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

A Spanish national TV station, La Sexta, ran with an investigative program last night (in Spanish obviously) on this whole sorry story, 'Anatomy of a sect'. Included within was a trip to Ireland to investigate its operation there & to interview a former member.

http://www.atresplayer.com/television/programas/equipo-de-investigacion/temporada-1/capitulo-172-anatoma-secta_2016092300583.html#fn_comentarios_lay

At least it should raise awareness of this outfit. Very best wishes to all who found themselves sucked into such a soul-destroying situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That is pay to view, and if it is in Spanish it will not be very helpful to most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I know this is an ancient thread but... Holy <snip>. You poor woman, hope youre getting on ok these days.

Thank you. I'm doing very good these days.

Today marks the 12th anniversary of my story. A lot has happened since but to cut a long story short I never saw my mother again. I have no idea if she is dead or alive. I presume alive as I gather we would maybe have heard from her family if she died. That is, of course, provided they were told themselves.

I found this while looking around this evening. Very very strange.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/05/25/inenglish/1464158613_478208.html

I have no idea what goes on there nowadays. I generally don't think about any of it but then sometimes around the anniversary of her leaving I can get a bit curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thanks for the update, hope you have a great Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Firefox56

I seriously believe there is something either missing or wrong with some people's brains that would make them want to get involved in something like this , is it that there is something missing from their lives ?? Were they not shown enough love as a child ?? Come on people get a bloody grip

• Advertisement
Advertisement