Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Air Corps

Options
  • 14-09-2001 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Now that the Air Corps has no fighter planes- ok, it hasn't had any real ones since the early 70s and are looking for some new ones, what would be the best one for us considering the role we are/will play in European/International affairs? I for one think we should get a mix of Hawk Mk 100s and 200s.
    Also, wandering off the topic title a slight bit, does anybody think we should get a small aircraft carrier, pop a few Ospreys [if they ever get built] on it and use it for the fisheries patrol and UN mission reinforcement roles? Thinking about, it could also be a useful recruiting tool for the defence forces.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I dunno why we'd want fighters, I mean we'd never be able to afford anything that could reliably take out any OTHER type of fighter out there so why bother? I'd go for a bunch of cheap attack helicopters with TOWs or something similar - they'd be more versitile when it came to roles both at home and on peace keeping missions abroad..

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, as events this week proved, having fighter aircraft isn't completely a luxury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Well as it so happens the RAF have equipped 70 or so Hawk 100s to fire Sidewinder missiles in an emergency. The Hawk 200s can fire Mavericks, Sidewinders etc so would be an excellent typ for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Screw the hawk, the new Saab, or hell - lets join PFP and get Germany to buy us EuroFighters! And if they are too expensive then lets spring for MIGs, the RAF expressed a preference for the MIG Fulcrum instead of the rehashed and upgraded Harrier, given their projected budget at the time (about 5 years ago).

Of course in the end we will get crop-sprayers or hand gliders, but we can dream.

BTW...Good point about an air force not being a Luxery anymore.

First off, we have to consider what are the real risks to Irish security.

Domestic terrorism. PIRA, CIRA, RIRA, OIRA, INLA, UVF, UDA and proxies. 'Fast' aircraft would have little use in any such scenario. Helicopters and (in necessary, armed) spotter aircraft would be much more useful.

International terrorism. No specific threat, but in light of the WTC attack, this should be looked at again. In practical terms, passive civil defence and police efforts are likely to be more economic and effective. One risk is the use of Ireland as a springboard for an attack against the USA or the UK.

Trespass by an international power. The USA, UK, France are the most likely, due to proximity, desire / necessity and ability. However, Russia, Germany, Denmark, Spain and The Netherlands should be kept in mind. Scenarios involving these would range from trespass by ballistic missile and other submarines, territorial disputes in the Rockall Basin. Economic, political or counter-terrorist espionage and special operations should also be kept in mind. Covert emergency sheltering by a damaged submarine is also a possibility. The Casa aircraft could be used to drop sono-bouys, however none have been purchased. Naval sonar is virtually non-existent. Most of the coast is covered by Coastguard surface search radar, but of a commercial, not military standard. No fixed military radar, limited transponder-based service at Dublin and Shannon (was Mount Gabriel rebuilt after the IRA attack in the 1980’s?) {edit: add Dooncarton in Mayo} – these are useless against any aircraft with a non-working transponder. Good relations should avoid such a scenario, but this is no guarantee. Response to infringement would be quickest by jet aircraft.

Smuggling. Primarily drugs and weapons, but also expect an increase in Cash (Euros and defunct Euro currencies). Primarily for domestic criminal gangs, but also with Ireland as a trans-shipment point to the UK/Europe and the USA. There is a potential risk of Ireland becoming a weapons source point for international criminals and terrorists. Fast jets could be used to identify and interrogate aircraft.

Fishery protection. Risks from infringement on EEZ and territorial waters by fishing vessels and foreign fishery patrol vessels and aircraft. Likely opponents would be UK, French, Dutch, Spanish, Danish, Norwegian, Japanese and Russian vessels.

Over-flight by rogue / suspicious aircraft and navigation / shipping hazards. This could vary from rogue weather balloons, floating debris, damaged vessels or aircraft and vessels in several of the above categories

Shipping protection. Ireland sits next to the main shipping route between North America and Northern Europe. The only real risk sits in the category of the conventional WWIII threat from Soviet aircraft and submarines.

Other duties

Economic Protection. Ireland is now a much richer country, some individual factories are fundamental on a global scale - including Intel and Pfzier (sp), which makes them targets on a global scale.

Search and Rescue. Primarily at sea. The issue is currently being addressed. A possible extension of this would be the creation of Air Ambulances and the more complicated concept of Combat SAR.

International dutiesIt is unlikely that we will ever be called on to contribute combat aircraft to UN or PPF operations. However, spotting, transport, CSAR and combat support are obvious possibilities.

Transport. Executive / ministerial transport is an existing requirement, however the availability of a dedicated medium transport for overseas support is a possibility. I would suggest the use of a dual fit-out (executive and troop transport) B-737 or similar aircraft. A dedicated military transport would be of less use in current operations. The Casas have a limited capability in this regard, with space for up to one small AFV (no handling equipment / parachutes?) or paratroops.

Photography / Mapping. A capability that hasn't really existed. The availability of military grade satellite photographs on a commercial basis reduces this requirement.
    In summary, I think what we need to be able to do is monitor our airspace and waters properly.

We need to be able to respond to likely threats or issues. We need to introduce military radar, obtain a workable sonar system and make sure Coastguard radar is centrally controlled.

We need to increase the number and capability of multi-role patrol planes (increase Casas to perhaps 6 a/c with anti-submarine gear sono-bouys and LWTs and anti-shipping weapons - rockets, Sea Eagle, Exocet or AM15).

We then need to create a proportionate, but credible, response force of up to perhaps 10 armed jet-trainers (Hawk comes to mind) - guns, rockets / bombs, sidewinder, ATGM and anti-shipping weapons. These might be expensive as ab-initio trainers, so Cessnas or new models Warriors could be used.

I would prefer no more than 2 models of helicopter (one light, one medium).

Ideal force: 10 BAE Hawk 100/200, 6 Casa CN-235, 6 SF-260 Warrior, 1 B-737, 8 medium helicopters, 4 light helicopters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Victor- your post was very good, very comprehensive.
    Just a few points I'd like to make, however...
    The CASAs we have at the moment are only for fishery protection. Under the terms of the purchase, which was part funded by the EU, the CASAs can only be used for that mission, although the ARW wanted to use them, and did a few times, for parachute drops. I've been in one of them, and that AFV you were talking about would have to be really small- from what I can remember they aren't huge inside.
    The SF-26os are being retired very soon, so in their place, and in addition to the Hawks, the new Embrarer plane, similar in mission to the SF-260, should be bought. In Brazil they're being used to shoot down drug carrying aircraft.
    I was in Baldonnel in February, and I was in the photo building twice. Hidden away in a corner was a Vinten camera pod...could it be carried on the SF-260s?
    I think shifting the main focus of our Navy onto fishery protection was a very bad ides- why did we get in consultants anyway? I agree with your point about getting anti-shipping weapons- why not put them on some new, decent sized ships and let the Spanish know we mean business?
    The existing military airfields- Gormanston, Baldonnel and Finner- but Gormanston and Finner especially- should be upgraded and given a bigger role to play.
    Why have we neglected our military services for so long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Magwitch

Klong, sucessive Irish governments would have had Kites with fire crackers and disposable party cameras selotaped to them.

The fact remains that the nationality of the Aeroplane manufacturer does have alot to do with the choice. Over the projected life time of an aircraft a good wprking re;lationship must be maintained with the selling nation. For one training and spareparts contracts acount for much of the cost. Secondly the purchase of any expensive military equipment invariably means other non-military trade deals follow.

The mention of Brazil is interesting. A nation with cheap prices and eager to sell its wares at decent prices. They of course also produce a small range of Jet fighter. Berties recent visit may have touch on the issue of aircraft procurement - an economicly and politically astute deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Victor, you get way to involved with military affairs that sometimes it scares me :)

To the point though, Teeth is right, really no point in having fighters, sure the British TA air force would wipe us out :)

Having low level ground attack planes like the German Alpha Jet or the Brazilian AMX for basic duties would be nice, similarly, a squadron of Bell Defenders would do the trick for anti-armour roles.

Idealistically, a pair of F-16's based in Baldonnel and Shannon would be handy for air space patrols, while a Super Stallion/Sea King at said airfields and another at Finner/Sligo could supply support to the navy and fishery protection.

A Hercules would also be appreciated I'm sure - ferry those new Mowags around the place.

OR we could invest in an anti-aircraft missile system :D Although the RBS 70's do the job at under 4miles I think.

Originally posted by Fidelis
    Victor, you get way to involved with military affairs that sometimes it scares me :)
    Who me? naw! ;)
    To the point though, Teeth is right, really no point in having fighters, sure the British TA air force would wipe us out :)
    Oooh. Tucanos scare me! :)
    Having low level ground attack planes like the German Alpha Jet or the Brazilian AMX for basic duties would be nice, similarly, a squadron of Bell Defenders would do the trick for anti-armour roles.
    Alpha jet is a bit dated, not sure if it would be economic to re-open production for a very small run or even get second hand aircraft. AMX not so much, but same comment. Defenders, might be a bit light up against a tank's .50 cal, but at least they would be cheap.
    Idealistically, a pair of F-16's based in Baldonnel and Shannon would be handy for air space patrols, while a Super Stallion/Sea King at said airfields and another at Finner/Sligo could supply support to the navy and fishery protection.
    You need more than 2, you would need 2 to be ready at any given time, which when you take training, maintaining, repairs, an allowance for losses and the like into account means a minimum of 6-10 aircraft. A decision is pending on medium lift helicopters (speculated that there will be 2 separate orders).
    A Hercules would also be appreciated I'm sure - ferry those new Mowags around the place.
    Yes, expensive, but quick. Would the Mowag be "too broad at the the shoulders" for the Hercules?
    we could invest in an anti-aircraft missile system :D Although the RBS 70's do the job at under 4miles I think.
    Range of Giraffe radar 16 miles or so. Speed of aircraft 500 mph. Reaction time 2 minutes. Nice for defending a single command post, not factories, airports or cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rushbrooke

Hello out there,

Does anybody have any info on Fouga Magister jets operating out of Baldonnell inthe late 1960's. I think one may have been on loan from Potez which had some sort of an aerospace industry in Baldonnell at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Hi rushbrooke,

One hell of an old topic you brought up there :)

We now have a Military forum for discussing these topics, I'm moving the thread there, the guys there can probably help you out if anyone can.

Hi rushbrooke,

One hell of an old topic you brought up there :)

We now have a Military forum for discussing these topics, I'm moving the thread there, the guys there can probably help you out if anyone can.

Thanks for that, I am new to boards.ie but will attempt to find the forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

rushbrooke wrote:
    Does anybody have any info on Fouga Magister jets operating out of Baldonnell inthe late 1960's. I think one may have been on loan from Potez which had some sort of an aerospace industry in Baldonnell at the time.

I believe Fougas were French, and Potez was (is still?) a French aircraft manufacturer.

Wiki'ed Fouga Magister which features a linkie to the wiki'ed Irish Air Corps

Google is your best friend (maybe even Google.fr - give me a pm'd shout if you want a quick translation of anything you find).

As for what jets to equip the Irish Air Force with, I only just noticed in late August that the Belgians (:eek: ) have a sh*tpot full of F-16s, and now at least a couple of Warts (A-10s) (anyone flying to Brussels South with Ryanair, look out the hangars right of the terminal building if/whenever doors are left open ;) ).

... come to think of it, a few A-10s kinda sense: built like brick sh*thouses, relatively simple and cheap to run, very polyvalent platforms. Not to mention the "don't f*ck with me" factor that immediately attaches to them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

There's already two threads on this:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054967977

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054975887
    I for one think we should get a mix of Hawk Mk 100s and 200s.

Hawks & the rest of the current batch of jet trainers are not fighters and it would be a waste of money to get them. Proper air defence requires much more than buying a couple of trainers & dressing them up.
    does anybody think we should get a small aircraft carrier, pop a few Ospreys [if they ever get built] on it and use it for the fisheries patrol and UN mission reinforcement roles? Thinking about, it could also be a useful recruiting tool for the defence forces.

Sorry, but that's a ridiculous idea. The personnel & resources required for one small carrier could nearly outstrip the requirements for the entire NS fleet. The NS is looking at getting a transport ship that could support troops overseas and carry out the normal patrol duties at home so that need is already being addressed.
    The SF-260s are being retired very soon, so in their place, and in addition to the Hawks, the new Embrarer plane, similar in mission to the SF-260, should be bought. In Brazil they're being used to shoot down drug carrying aircraft.

The PC-9M replaced the SF-260, there's no need to get another turboprop trainer. We wouldn't be shooting down any drug-smugglers either.
    I think shifting the main focus of our Navy onto fishery protection was a very bad ides- why did we get in consultants anyway? I agree with your point about getting anti-shipping weapons- why not put them on some new, decent sized ships and let the Spanish know we mean business?

Where have you been living? The focus of the NS has always been on fisheries protection, the consultants didn't make it so. There's no real problem with the type of ships the NS has, the problem is there's not enough of them or the sailors to crew them.

And why in the name of God would you need anti-ship missiles for fisheries protection?!!? You're not out to kill the offenders :rolleyes:
    The existing military airfields- Gormanston, Baldonnel and Finner- but Gormanston and Finner especially- should be upgraded and given a bigger role to play.

Gormo and Finner are gone, there would be no need to use Gormo since it's so close to Baldonnel anyway. If the Air Corp was going to use another location, the best thing it could do would be to move the CASAs to Shannon.

Thanks for all the info but I am looking for specific info on Fouga Super Magisters operating from Baldonnel in the late '60's. I am aware that the IAC purchased 6 of these aircraft in 1975. Is there nothing you guys don't know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

There were six flying Fougas and one airframe used for apprentice training. Four of the six were ex-Austrian Air Force and the other two were aircraft that had been purchased by the Katangan seperatists in the Congo but had been embargoed in Belgium. All six had been rebuilt by Aerospatiale prior to the Air Corp buying them. The training airframe was ex-French Air Force.

They were all bought in 1975/76, I've never heard of & cannot find any record of one being used before this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

we should be putting in an order for 22 Eurofighters for national pride alone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My question is 'What colour were the bloody things?'

I've seen pictures of Fougas that look light grey, painted silver, or bare metal.

I'm leaning 'light grey' right now, but in person what is it?

NTM

Does anybody have any info on Potez Aerospace Ireland. I know they operated from a factory in Baldonnel from 1960 to 1968 and at one stage employed 120. What I would like to know is :
    a. Did they build any aircraft
    b. If aircraft were built, what type were they.
    c. Who test flew them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭elvis jaffacake

Maskhadov wrote:
    we should be putting in an order for 22 Eurofighters for national pride alone
    well if Austria can afford 18, we could afford 10:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well if Austria can afford 18, we could afford 10:rolleyes:

Just shows what a grown up nation is doing. We are richer than Austria with a bigger threat seeing that were in between UK and US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What is this threat you speak of and how would this country protect itself by purchasing (and wasting) money on buying a squadron of jet fighters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Morse

BrianD wrote:
    What is this threat you speak of and how would this country protect itself by purchasing (and wasting) money on buying a squadron of jet fighters?

I don't see us having any threats, but we might have an obligation to the EU to properly defend our airspace in the unlikely event of a threat showing up over us!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

isnt the naval service more a priority? they have a large area to patrol with only a few ships, drugs and illegal fishing are more likely to be stopped by a proper naval service than a rake of eurofighters

as for ordering fighters for national pride i think some on this forum are giving us the full details of their wet dreams.....

The navy is another thread. Seeing that we are going to extend our territorial waters soon we need at least 10 - 15 more patrol ships built to bigger and better specification than the ones we currently have.

The government has set out a list of roles for the Defence Force in a white paper a few years ago. The main job of the air corps is to defend the country against armed aggression. That means having the necessary equipment and aircraft to do that. That means purchasing some jets.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

rushbrooke wrote:
    Hello out there,

Never heard about it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Try:

http://www.irishairpics.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

This is specialised forum dealing mainly with I.A.C. and some lads there might help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Maskhadov wrote:
    The navy is another thread. Seeing that we are going to extend our territorial waters soon we need at least 10 - 15 more patrol ships built to bigger and better specification than the ones we currently have.

The government has set out a list of roles for the Defence Force in a white paper a few years ago. The main job of the air corps is to defend the country against armed aggression. That means having the necessary equipment and aircraft to do that. That means purchasing some jets.

you miss my point to buy fighters for national pride is complete nonsense, we should build another 100 national schools for national pride or world class hospitals for national pride or more universities for national pride.....not fighters

National pride is never expressed in school buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Maskhadov wrote:

Ensuring the young people in this country don't turn out a bunch of moronic, stupid, chav wannabe scum by providing them with a deacent education which allows them the chance to persue a career that pays them well (keeping them off the dole) and have some sort of intelligence is national pride.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Maskhadov wrote:

Well I bet the Austrians don't have people on hospital beds or bleeding to death in a hospital for lack of facilities. Doubt if there too many school buildings that are prefabs. When you take pride in your country by providing for your people then at that point it is worth investing in a military force to defend it.

In any case, there is no threat to this country that warrants the purchase of fighter jets. We've lived through the cold war and the Troubles without them. Why now? In regard to any EU obligations it would be more expedient to oblige those countries who have large airforces in place to take on the role of air space defense.

Advertisement