Pure Mule - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-09-2005, 22:33   #1
murphaph

Pure Mule

Just wondering did anyone else watch the first episode of this drama? I think it has potential. It was good to see irish drama, with accents that aren't all from Dublin. I haven't been to Banagher in quite a few years and I can't exactly remember the accent but it sounds about right for the area. Is it though?
Advertisement
06-09-2005, 22:36   #2
TomTom
Fearing Trent

HMod: Keystone
I don't know where those accents are supposed to be from but i've never heard anybody talk like that in offaly. Then again banagher is a strange old place.
06-09-2005, 22:39   #3
is_that_so

The guy who wrote it also wrote the play Eden which was set in Offaly. Accents aside I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of it. The trailers for it were not encouraging. Would certainly watch another one .
06-09-2005, 23:03   #4
tipp_Gunner

'Pure mule' is good but IMO not as good as 'Love is the drug' which i can only assume it is replacing.

apparently rte are refusing to buy the second series of LITD.

but as murphaph pointed out, it is good that rte are basing/adapting drama from other parts of the country besides dublin which a wider variety of audience may relate to.
06-09-2005, 23:08   #5
Donie75

"Well that bates Banagher" as the saying goes.
I thought it was a good show. You can't beat a decent bit of homegrown drama. The accents were a bit pavie.
Keep it coming RTE. Hope they buy Love is the Drug 2. Great show.
Advertisement
06-09-2005, 23:15   #6
Velcrow

More "Paddy whackery"... this is tripe.... its like Irish drama written by Americans

I got an idea for a new RTE drama

... 2 Cul'chee brothers that live and drink in dublin.... the story will be that they will drink and fight over ger'ils, lovely ger'ils

I will call it "PURE TRIPE"

The only good thing was that it was so bad, i headed to boards for a good read

( am I being a little hard ... no I didn't think so !!! )
06-09-2005, 23:18   #7
alleepally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donie75
"Well that bates Banagher" as the saying goes.
I thought it was a good show. You can't beat a decent bit of homegrown drama. The accents were a bit pavie.
Keep it coming RTE. Hope they buy Love is the Drug 2. Great show.
What's a pavie accent?

Also, to a previous poster, although the series is set in Banagher, it's supposed to represent any small town in Ireland so the accent isn't "meant" to be representing any particular town or county.

So get off the accent boll*x the lot of ye and let the drama speak for itself. I give it a two thumbs up rating anyways.
06-09-2005, 23:23   #8
is_that_so

Quote:
Hope they buy Love is the Drug 2.
Alas this is not likely to happen as they never commissioned a second series.
06-09-2005, 23:23   #9
Femelade

Send a message via MSN to Femelade Send a message via Yahoo to Femelade
pavie = knacker?

i thought it was very good, spent the past hour talking like them, i think its gas! (family getting a bit pissed off with me though, so i better stop!)

def a 2 thumbs up from me too!!!
Advertisement
06-09-2005, 23:30   #10
Roddy23

it was decent. Nothing more nothing less
06-09-2005, 23:31   #11
ricey

Send a message via AIM to ricey Send a message via MSN to ricey Send a message via Yahoo to ricey
Bring on Killinaskully I say!
06-09-2005, 23:35   #12
alleepally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Femmy
pavie = knacker?

i thought it was very good, spent the past hour talking like them, i think its gas! (family getting a bit pissed off with me though, so i better stop!)

def a 2 thumbs up from me too!!!
So come on then and lets hear your best country accent then, stick on an owl mp3 there of you doing one and we can judge how good you are
07-09-2005, 00:12   #13
murphaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velcrow
More "Paddy whackery"... this is tripe.... its like Irish drama written by Americans
....from Offaly. It's not Paddy Whackery just because it paints small town Ireland in a bad light. This kind of stuff actually goes on, so why not write about it. I'm a dub by the way, and I hate the way nearly all the accents in Fair City (set in a working class suburb) are D4 and I don't mean Irishtown accents! It's good to hear some county accents even if they're acted. Yer one with the short hair has goh a rale straaange wan doh
07-09-2005, 00:29   #14
Elmo

As far as accents go (since we all seem to end up with this topic in each thread relating to an irish drama) they where good but in realation to other accent in other shows, they are also good since most of the country is speaking with a peudo-american accent LOMG.

As for the show. HHHHMMMM. I was grand nothing more nothing less. You cann't say that its the worst or that it comes close to the worst (big bow wow) and it doesn't even come close to the best (the family). Its in the middle. (Yeah I know the family is a totally different kind of drama, but it got the accents right )

Side-track: I think Fair City is based in D3, some Fairview accents and some Clontarf accents. just a though.

Back to Pure Mule. I don't think I would have started the show of with Shames Character that episode would have been better off towards the middel of the series. Also I wasn't expecting the next episode to deal with wedding to do with the Stag Party. Kind takes us off the beaten track.

It was enjoyable to watch with nothing that I can see would stop me from watch the next episode. Other then that its not really my kind of Show.

But then nether was Love Is The Drug and I enjoyed that.
07-09-2005, 01:39   #15
Telefís

Quote:
Hope they buy Love is the Drug 2.
This virtually is Love is the Drug 2! Okay not exacly, but it has an exceptionally similar feel to it, not least with the same flippin lead actor!

I enjoyed it, well acted, well shot and well-edited. It captured Irish society very well, especially the ridiculous excesses of young female fashion in Ireland

I thought one of the lead characters (the small fella of the two brothers) was excellently constructed - a very well-crafted character and very subtlely acted; there's much more to him than meets the eye.
For this character alone I'd watch the next episode.

The accent of the older brother was definitely overdone, or more to the point the manner in which he spoke was overblown. I mean O'Brien, the writer, just riddled every one of his sentences with at times incomprehensible culchie-talk - nobody speaks like that! -especially young people! They may have strong accents, but not so much ridiculous phraseology! Very contrived and deliberately cranked up to convince the audience that it is set outside Dublin (RTÉ literally wets itself trying to emphasise this in its regional output) and reflects 'real life'.

Overall though the acting was great, generally where RTÉ tripped up in the past.

Definitely be watching the next episode.

Last edited by Telefís; 07-09-2005 at 01:41.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion