Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French BB takeup rises by 8.3% in 3 months

Options
  • 31-08-2005 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

600,000 additional subscribers signed up for Broadband in the last three months apparently

That is also a 61% increase in broadband subscribers in the last 12 months.

Oh and don't say its all cable - apparently cable now serves 500,000 out of 7,900,000 subscribers. Yes folks it is good old DSl that people are lapping up - apparently [edit: it's the choice of 94% of subscribers.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Babelfish translation
    The Internet high flow continues its growth in France: in the second quarter 2005, Arcep (Authority of regulation of the electronic communications and stations) listed 7,9 million subscribers.

The various suppliers of the sector gained approximately 600.000 customers in three months, that is to say a rise of 8,3% compared to the first quarter 2005. The number of subscribers increased by 61% over one year, compared to the same time in 2004.

With 7,4 and 94% subscriber million of the access, it is the ADSL which largely holds the top of the paving stone. For the first time, the number of subscriptions to the cable exceeds the 500.000. The "alternative" access modes (BLR, optical fibre or Wi-Fi) represent always only one residual share.

These calculations are carried out by Arcep starting from the data transmitted by the principal French FAI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

What can one say!!!

I described the Irish situation to a friend of mine in France and he said he felt sory for us having such bad adsl.

His exact words were:
    You can get 5mb connection down and 1mb up + free phone (voip) + free tv (+70 channels) + media center via the modem
    For 20€/month, not bad if you look 2 years back (56k for the same price)

2 years people!!!
    In 2 years a lot of France has gone from being 56k heaven to DSL for almost everyone!!!!

I wonder if they have a regulator? as we certainly have none to speak of!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

zuma wrote:

I wonder if they have a regulator? as we certainly have none to speak of!!!

Well yes we do...and we also have a minister for dialup and satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

vinnyfitz wrote:
    - apparently it's available to 94% of the French population.
    It rather says that 94% (or 7.4 million) of the 7.9 million broadband subscriptions are via dls and only half a million are by cable.
    So much for the lack of cable as the cause for our broadband woes! In fact, despite our minimal cable coverage NTL has more than 6% of the Irish broadband supply.
    I'd assume that broadband availability is above the 95% of population mark in France – compared with our less than 60% population coverage.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Check this out - what my parents have been on for close to a year now.

10Mbits or 20MBits down / 1Mbit up (depending on local exchange), 100 free digital TV channels, landline + VoIP phone, free WiFi compatible router, etc, etc...

€30 pm......that's €30 pm!

:mad:

EDIT - and their's is ADSL, even though they live in one of the cable-pioneering FR cities (they've had cable TV for over 20 years).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd assume that broadband availability is above the 95% of population mark in France – compared with our less than 60% population coverage.
    P.

It most certainly is NOT lack of computers that causes us to lag, its the price and availability of DSL . See this table where its clear that We have more computers than the French (per household) according to the OECD .

The French pay about €35 a month TOTAL for 5Mb/1Mb and Line rental at about €15 inluded in that €35 .

With our highest line rental on the planet we pay €30 for entry level always on dsl and €24 for line rental on top , total €54 .

France has automated LLU at €2 a month or so while a carrier in Ireland will pay €15 for that and will have to go thru a painful manual process .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yep. It's great alright, and while I'm on...
    God bless Exeem, Limewire and Azureus. Amen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

ambro25 wrote:
    Check this out - what my parents have been on for close to a year now.
    free.fr is a good service and friend of mine has it and loves it....

On a similar note :

http://www.bethere.co.uk/beonline/productHome.do

have now launched a similar service in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Although it is tempting to say that low LLU rates is the answer to most of the problems in Ireland, I don't think this is the case.

If we put the LLU rate at close to zero, for example, we would solve some problems but create others. We would be focussing all competition onto a crumbling legacy telephone infrastructure. We would remove the incentive of competitors to build their own competing infrastructure and thereby remove the incentive for Eircom to invest in their own.

Of course, in a country where that legacy telephone infrastructure is very good or where lots of people live in high-density developments close to exchanges, the LLU route makes a lot of sense. In these countries a much larger proportion of the population will get the advertised speeds of ADSL2+ and varients. It may create some problems in the future but these problems would be further down the line.

The question to ask in Ireland is:
    1. Do we have a great telephone infrastructure?
    2. Do we generally live in high-density developments?

Having said that, if take up of broadband is the goal then LLU is a good way to go. Competition over existing infrastructure is always going to be cheaper and quicker than building competing infrastructure and competition of any sort will bring down prices and bring up specifications and this will lead to increased up take.

I think, however, that take up of broadband is the wrong goal to have. In the past low broadband penetration was used to argue for the availibility of broadband. Of course, it was argued, there was going to be low take up when broadband was simply not available to the vast majority. But somewhere along the line it seems to have become a goal in its own right rather than merely one of the indicators of supply.

IMO, the key figure in the top post is the 94% availability, not the 600,000.

Lets get the availability figure up to to 94% and beyond in Ireland. Continual focussing on up take figures only distorts our thinking on the subject and leads to potentially harmful shortcuts that are may not appropriate for Ireland.

availability of 512 or 1024 products would be the goal to aim for here, not 94% availability of 5Mbit ADSL2+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

bealtine wrote:
    Well yes we do...and we also have a minister for dialup and satellite.

"Minister for dialup and satellite", LOL

Must remember that,

John

SkepticOne wrote:
    Although it is tempting to say that low LLU rates is the answer to most of the problems in Ireland, I don't think this is the case.

If we put the LLU rate at close to zero, for example, we would solve some problems but create others...

You are missing the point, if I may say so.

Things are much simpler:
    Every country had to deal with a set of differing conditions concerning Internet and Broadband development. (cable competition at various strengths; differences in population density; PC penetration; game console concentration; condition of copper network; age, education and language differences; legal and legislative variations; general quality of governance etc.)

Most countries encountered difficulties of one sort or another – and overcame them, with the exception of two countries: Greece and Ireland.

Greece is an accumulation of difficult factors combined with poor governance (not offence intended).
    Ireland has a set of rather positive conditions (not least the English language: interesting article on the economic effect of this by David McWilliams in last sbpost), combined with poor governance.

The Irish regulatory/political decision makers mainly fail because of not understanding o n e single issue:

Let the incumbent make a killing of super-profitable metered dial-up Internet access and the incumbent will choose to fail with broadband roll-out.

Let the incumbent n o t make a killing and allow him only a meagrely profit from metered dial-up, which is the death nail of Internet/Broadband success, and all the issues potentially hindering Broadband roll-out (long lines, no apartment blocks South Korean style, dot.com crash and what have you) will melt away.

P.

Let the incumbent n o t make a killing and allow him only a meagrely profit from metered dial-up, which is the death nail of Internet/Broadband success, and all the issues potentially hindering Broadband roll-out (long lines, no apartment blocks South Korean style, dot.com crash and what have you) will melt away.
    I agree that removing the profit from dial-up would remove some disincentive from Eircom to roll out broadband, however this still leaves Eircom with a broadband monopoly. Removing the dial-up profit would give a one-off boost to broadband rollout. However, to get progressive improvements in order to keep up with other countries we would still need proper competition outside of Eircom's monopoly.

LLU is probably the answer most people will give at this point. However this merely adds back a disincentive for Eircom. Why should Eircom maintain their infrastructure to a high standard if competition is going to benefit.

This is the point I was addressing.

SkepticOne wrote:
    Why should Eircom maintain their infrastructure to a high standard if competition is going to benefit?
    For the same reasons why the French incumbent is maintaining and improving its infrastructure: To make money.
    We are not seeing the French infrastructure crumbling as a consequence of low French unbundling pricing and low line rental. And it is not the French cable industry that is tightening the thumb-screws either.

Nobody is suggesting to let other providers in for free.
    (But why ComReg decided to give Eircom on top of the highest line rental also the highest LLU fees is a mystery to me... Oh, I forgot, John Doherty keeps saying it is important to pay the incumbent good as an encouragement to invest.)
    While the better network benefits other providers it also benefits the owner of the network. And if the incumbent does not have the super-profit from dial-up, then he simply will have and want to go for it.

And there is another form of "encouragement": a regulator demanding from the incumbent to deliver on the quality of its network.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

If I was an ISP and made €30 a month on Dialup with 250MB of data downloaded...do you think I would willfully spend hundreds of millions upgradeing my infrastructure so my customers still spend only €30 a month but pass 25GB(100 times as much!) through my network???

NOT A HOPE IN HELL!!!!

As long as they can get away with making HUGE money on DialUp eircom wont push themselves in getting the remaining 40% of the population DSL access.

And as eircomtribunal has already stated...forcing eircom to offer unlimted DialUp for €10 a month is the way to go as that same €30 a month for DSL will then look far more attractive!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

I suspect there has been some misreading of the artile. It does not state that there is 94% availability rather it says that of the total number of broadband connections, 94% are adsl. Just so people dont quote false statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Just 'thought I'd precise that the FR market was only just opened to competiton last year (was a State Monopoly to France Télécom all along before that)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

juliuspret wrote:
    ...forcing eircom to offer unlimted DialUp for €10 a month is the way to go as that same €30 a month for DSL will then look far more attractive!
    I'd like to pose a question here regarding reduced FRIACO pricing.

If FRIACO was reduced to €10 per month for unlimited use, would that price point hinder Joe Public migrating from it to broadband?

Gareth

Probably not. Popele would treat FRIACO as always on but would hit the wall on speeds and would upgrade when they could. This is what happened in the UK where FRIACO was the norm for 2 or 3 years before the users migrated.

The more practical suggestion I saw in this thread was asymettric FRIACO pricing , I would add 'by Ministerial Directive' .

IF you fail the test for BB (not there or won't work) then you get the cheap FRIACO, if you pass you do not qualify for it and pay full price for it.

Fair and easily enforceable , even by Comreg and understandable to Dialup Dempsey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

juliuspret wrote:
    If I was an ISP and made €30 a month on Dialup with 250MB of data downloaded...do you think I would willfully spend hundreds of millions upgradeing my infrastructure so my customers still spend only €30 a month but pass 25GB(100 times as much!) through my network???

NOT A HOPE IN HELL!!!!

You would (and you do) for a number of reasons:

- You have to or somebody else will and if you're a telco, you'll lose your call revenue as well.
    - You can potentially sell an awful lot more broadband connections than you can dialup connections as dialup is essentially useless.
    - The margins are very good, particularly in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    - You have to or somebody else will and if you're a telco, you'll lose your call revenue as well.
    Nobody can sell dsl where eircom have not enabled the exchanges or have not fixed the lines on enabled exchanges.
    The competition from other providers, offering broadband via wireless and cable is not strong enough to undermine eircom's position.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    - You can potentially sell an awful lot more broadband connections than you can dialup connections as dialup is essentially useless.
    Dial up is useless to the customer (to be exact to about 50% of customers, assuming from the state of affairs in other countries), but it is useful for the incumbent as it provides higher profits than "going" for broadband (under the current regulatory regime).
    As long as the potential bb customers are not taken up by the competition, they are not lost to the incumbent and he will milk them for expensive dialup for as long as possible.
    Blaster99 wrote:
    - The margins are very good, particularly in Ireland.
    Broadband margins are not as good as dial-up margins. Not by a long shot. This is exactly the point. Read the citigroup report on eircom where it is stated explitely (page 21):
    "eircom’s attempt to balance growth in broadband with the managed cannibalisation of its own dial-up internet base goes a long way to explaining this lacklustre development – this is a different and potentially dangerous balancing act."

P.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

I think Ireland has 2 main problems:

1) An incumbant who is more interested in repaying shareholders and not giving a toss about it's infrasturcture
    2) A Government that needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century

What chance have we got when the current government were responsible for handing over the building of a bridge to a private company so they could systematically screw the public to access it and in the process make hundreds of millions for said company. It's this type of backward and corrupt thinking that will keep Ireland in the dark(fibre) ages.

Nobody can sell dsl where eircom have not enabled the exchanges or have not fixed the lines on enabled exchanges.
    The competition from other providers, offering broadband via wireless and cable is not strong enough to undermine eircom's position.

Very peculiar, though, isn't it, that Eircom has bothered to roll out broadband into areas where there is currently no competition?

The reality is that Eircom's roll-out or lack thereof is a combination of many things. Current and future competition, profits to be made from broadband now and in the future, likely demand, revenue from dial-up, cost of upgrading a particular exchange. It's not as simple as you make it out to be.
    Dial up is useless to the customer (to be exact to about 50% of customers, assuming from the state of affairs in other countries), but it is useful for the incumbent as it provides higher profits than "going" for broadband (under the current regulatory regime).
    As long as the potential bb customers are not taken up by the competition, they are not lost to the incumbent and he will milk them for expensive dialup for as long as possible.

You're missing my point. My point is that the total potential revenue for broadband is a lot higher than it is for dial-up. I would have thought that's obvious.
    Broadband margins are not as good as dial-up margins. Not by a long shot. This is exactly the point. Read the citigroup report on eircom where it is stated explitely (page 21):

What is perhaps more indicative is that Eircom's share price falls whenever they show poor broadband results. Strange that, if they are to make so much money on dial-up isn't it? Dial-up is a dead-end. Eircom knows it, analysts know it, we know it.

You may also note that citigroup says "dangerous balancing act".

Whatever Eircom's current profit from dial-up is, the principle of promoting a particular service (i.e. broadband) by forcing the reduction of profit from other services which it cannibalises is valid. It would give a once-off boost to broadband rollout by Eircom. The extent of this boost, of course, would depend on a lot of factors.

If we imagine a situation where next to no money is made from dial-up (for the sake of argument), line rental has been radically reduced (to say 10 euros a month) and the LLU fee has been reduced radically (as has been argued) then I can't see this as incentivising Eircom to start investing heavily in its own infrastructure.

Even now, with far greater revenues, Eircom seem content not to invest in the network and take their own sweet time installing lines. Shouldn't they be rushing around installing lines for all this great revenue they are making?

My worry with the suggestion of removing dial-up revenue (valid though it is) is that it still will leave some people high and dry. I think the assumption behind this and related suggestions is that there's a great infrastructure already in place and that all that is needed is more competition over this great infrastructure.

Eircom maintain that 90% of lines can get BB so any regulation would only affect the other 10%

SkepticOne wrote:
    Even now, with far greater revenues, Eircom seem content not to invest in the network and take their own sweet time installing lines. Shouldn't they be rushing around installing lines for all this great revenue they are making?

Beats me as well, but they've always been useless when it comes to enabling service. Maybe they just can't shake the semi-state culture. Having a union owning a big share of the company isn't likely to do much for efficiency either.

I think it makes a lot of sense to force Eircom to lower the price of FRIACO etc as has been suggested.

Advertisement