Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Example of a common Ebay scam and how to avoid it.

Options
  • 29-08-2005 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Here's an email I received from a winning bidder on eBay, along with a message I wrote to eBay customer care shortly afterwards.

As I said below, it could be a legitimate transaction, but I have yet to hear from the buyer since I sent the invoice this morning.

I have removed personal details <denoted by angled brackets> as a precautionary measure.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

thanks.

Email header and body:
    Return-Path: <****@*********.***>
    Delivered-To: <my email address removed>
    Received: (qmail 2397 invoked by uid 503); 29 Aug 2005 01:56:37 -0000
    Received: (qmail 32624 invoked by uid 503); 29 Aug 2005 01:56:36 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO ********************) (216.1*6.1**.44)
    by <my mail server> with (EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA encrypted) SMTP; 29 Aug 2005 01:56:36 -0000
    Received: from nobody by ***************.net with local (Exim 4.52)
    id 1E9Yt2-0001do-G5
    for <my email address removed>; Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:36 -0400
    To: <my email address removed>
    Subject: Re: Zoom PS-02 Palmtop Studio PS02 plus accessories, NR! (7345181297)
    Received: from [212.1**.1**.12] by cosmail.com via HTTP; Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:36 EDT by SocketMail for <<my email address removed>>
    Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:36 EDT
    From: "<buyer name removed>" <<buyer email username removed>@cosmail.com>
    Reply-To: "<buyer name removed>" <<buyer email username removed>@cosmail.com>
    Message-ID: <20050828174.1743571125280596@cosmail.com>
    References: <1164669187.1125279475602.JavaMail.ebayapp@sj-v3eoa21>
    X-Mailer: SocketMail Engine version 2.2.3
    X-Remote_Addr: 212.199.108.12
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Sender: Nobody <********@**************.net>
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - ***********.net
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - <my email server domain>
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 32003] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - ******************.net
    X-Source:
    X-Source-Args: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
    X-Source-Dir: cosmail.com:/public_html/home

Hello Seller,
    It's my pleasure winning your auction, how are you today? hope nice i think. I will be paying you via my paypal account, send me your paypal email address, Palmtop cost and the shipping cost to my husband address below in Nigeria:
    Below is the receiver information,

NAME: <name removed>
    ADDRESS: <removed>,
    CITY: IBADAN
    ZIP CODE: 234-02

I want you send this Palmtop to him via Royal Mail postal service or by EMS express mail.
    Pls do get back to me today so i can make the payment once.
    Best Regards,

<buyer name removed>

----
    After sending an invoice to the buyer I then sent the following email to eBay customer care:
    ----

Customer concern: Hello,

An auction of mine closed earlier today and I have a concern about the winning bidder. I am concerned that it could be a scam.

My suspicions about the winning bidder (<ebay username>) were aroused for the following reasons:

1. The auction listing contained the following explicit instructions:
    "If you have zero or negative feedback please contact me before bidding."
    The winning bidder has zero feedback, and did not contact me before bidding.

2. The winning bidder registered as an eBay member on the same day that the auction closed.

3. The winning bidder asked for the item to be sent to Nigeria. Although there are undoubtedly many trustworthy Nigerian eBay users, I am conscious of the disproportionately high number of fraudulent scams of Nigerian origin, relative to other countries.

At this point, I have sent an invoice to the winning bidder asking for payment to be made to my paypal address, <address removed>. Although there is nothing overtly out of order so far I wanted to register my concerns with eBay staff in the event that this does turn out to be a fraudulent transaction. I am particularly worried that I may end up receiving a negative feedback comment from this user if this happens, since I have been trying to keep a 100% record.

Of course there is every possbility that the winning bidder will be geniune, but again I must stress that am writing to alert you to my concerns.

any thoughts?
    Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bs217

I just got a message from an eBay Safe Harbour employee which said:

"...

Thank you for taking the time to write to eBay.

I can confirm this member is no longer a registered user. Due to privacy
    law, I am not able to discuss the details of another members account
    further.

..."

So apparently it was a scam. If anyone else receives an email like the one above, beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Hmm, an interesting one to be sure.
    This sounds very very like a scammer, I'd be surprised if it was legit.
    While I (an obviously yourself) wouldn't want to tar all Nigerians as scammers, I see your concern. That country is home to a far higher numer of internet scammers than other countries of its population.

A lot of ebayers do register on the day to buy an item. Heck sometimes people register and re-register for each consequitive item.

The buyer did contravene your directions, which will be grounds for a dismissal of the sale if you wish. I suppose, once you recieve your payment, there should be nothing to worry about. Once the money gets to paypal, even if it was a scam, that money is yours. The CC company/paypal/whoever else will take the hit. Just make sure you have that money before going ahead. (obviously)

Will you keep us posted? It'd be interesting to see how this plays out.

**edit: just seen your latest post.
    At least ebay copped it before anything happened.
    Theyre on the ball like that.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    At least ebay copped it before anything happened.
    Theyre on the ball like that.

Yeah, I emailed them at lunchtime and they had replied by 19:45. I wasn't expecting such a quick reply. I suppose that the moral here is if anyone has any suspicions about a buyer (or seller for that matter), it seems that it's well worth contacting eBay about it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

If you were the buyer and this dude was the seller, I'd say scam. If he was trying to pay you by Western Union, I'd say scam. But he wants to use Paypal, it's like this, send the email address, if you receive the money, send the item, if you don't receive it, don't send the item. Getting scammed as a seller is a bit harder than if a buyer. If you receive the money then who gives a sh!t if you have to send it to the scam capital of the world....

To be honest I was giving the buyer the benefit of the doubt, but since eBay immediately cancelled his/her account then it would appear that they had reason to believe they were indeed engaged in fraudulent activities. As an aside, I noticed a striking resemblance between the email I received and one that another Boards user received on this post:
    this was the first email i got
    How are you and your family?...and how is business doing?hope good.I am intrested in the
    immediate purchase of your item for my fiancee, who is currently in Ibadan Nigeria and will be paying the sum 580.00 EUR including shippment via Royalmail special delivery ,Or Ups...which i considered to be safe and secured. i will be paying you for this deal to be concluded very fast through my paypal account and as soon as payment is made ...I want you to ship out the item to my fiancee in Ibadan Nigeria....
    So please let me have your paypal email address...as required for payment..

this fella is not registered ebayer any more :rolleyes:

fair bad
    link to original thread

• Advertisement

Look what was waiting for me in my inbox this morning...
    Return-Path: <customercarepaypalonline@mail.com>
    Delivered-To: <my email account>
    Received: (qmail 22302 invoked by uid 503); 30 Aug 2005 04:25:36 -0000
    Delivered-To: <my ebay email address, not my paypal one... (instant red flag)>
    Received: (qmail 12054 invoked by uid 503); 30 Aug 2005 04:25:35 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO webmail-outgoing.us4.outblaze.com) (205.158.62.67)
    by <my mail server> with SMTP; 30 Aug 2005 04:25:35 -0000
    Received: from unknown (unknown [192.168.9.180])
    by webmail-outgoing.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with QMQP id 824851800739
    for <<my ebay email address, not my paypal one... (instant red flag)>>; Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:25:33 +0000 (GMT)
    X-OB-Received: from unknown (205.158.62.182)
    by wfilter.us4.outblaze.com; 30 Aug 2005 04:25:33 -0000
    Received: by ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix, from userid 1001)
    id 736F91CE304; Tue, 30 Aug 2005 04:25:33 +0000 (GMT)
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_
    =_1125375933148441"
    From: "Paypal customercare" <customercarepaypalonline@mail.com>
    To: <my ebay email address, not my paypal one... (instant red flag)>
    Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:25:33 -0500
    Subject: **PAYMENT INVOICE**
    Received: from [212.199.108.12] by ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com with http for
    customercarepaypalonline@mail.com; Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:25:33 -0500
    X-Originating-Ip: 212.199.108.12
    X-Originating-Server: ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com
    Message-Id: <20050830042533.736F91CE304@ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com>

Dear Customer,

Paypal ® hereby congratulate you and at the same time informing you that the Paypal® Order sent to you from Newton Longe has been Approved.

Paypal® Order : EUR 237.50
    Auction Item :7345181297
    Paypal Pin :CDBF06742F0097201A

Using Paypal for eBay Auction Purchases.

Use to pay for on-line purchases, the companies / individuals you buy from will not see your credit card number. This is an important security feature and certainly is better than having your credit card number transmitted all over the Internet. PayPal is secure, and they screen their merchant accounts very closely.

You CAN NOW send the item to the buyer as this order has been approved, and will be sent to the above PayPal account Email address as soon as confirmation and verification of shipment is conducted .After shipment, you are to send the tracking number us.

NOTE: PAYMENT IS PENDING AND WILL NOT BE CREDITED UNTIL THE SHIPMENT TRACKING NUMBER IS SENT TO US FOR SHIPMENT VERIFICATION TO SECURE BOTH THE SELLER AND THE BUYER.

And if you have any question, feel free to contact our customer service at (customercarepaypalonline@mail.com)

Thank you for using Paypal ® Auction Payments. We look forward serving your online auction payment needs in the future.

On Aug.30 9:59 PDT,

Transaction Details
    eBay Payment Received (ID # CD210067X57204JA)

Total Amount:
    EUR 237.50
    Fee Amount:
    EUR 15.00
    Net Amount:
    EUR 222.50
    Date:
    Aug. 30, 2005
    Time:
    9:59:PDT
    Status

Completed

1 QUANTITY :EUR 222.50
    Shipping & Handling EUR 15.00
    Shipping Insurance :Not incuded
    Total:EUR 237.50

Shipping information:

Newton Longe
    4915 Edge st.
    little rock, AR 72206
    United StatesConfirmed

Attn. Sellers: The buyer of this item has informed not to ship to the billing address. Please DO NOT send item to the address above, contact your buyer for the shipping address. You will be contacted by our customer service on the new address for shipping and about the new standard payment method.

Seller Protection Policy:
    Eligible

Payment From:
    Newton Longe (The sender of this payment is verified)

Buyer's Email:

songkosh@cosmail.com

Payment Sent to
    <my ebay email address, not my paypal one... (instant red flag)>

Payment Type:
    Standard (Will be credited into your account once shipment is verified)

Shipment Tracking Information: Provide your buyer with tracking information.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    In a message dated 30/08/2005 9:59: PM Eastern DayLight Time, please ship this item thanks.

This payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been"APPROVED" but will be credited to your account as soon we are able to recieve the shipment tracking number sent to our customer's service for shipment verification so as to Secure Both the Buyer and the Seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.

Thanks for using We look forward to serving your online payment.

PayPal, an eBay company

Copyright © 1999-2005 PayPal. All rights reserved.

--

Return-Path: <customercarepaypalonline@mail.com>
    Received: (qmail 31841 invoked by uid 503); 30 Aug 2005 03:46:10 -0000
    Delivered-To: <my ebay email address, not my paypal one>
    Received: (qmail 29643 invoked by uid 503); 30 Aug 2005 03:46:08 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO webmail-outgoing.us4.outblaze.com) (205.158.62.67)
    by <my mail server> with SMTP; 30 Aug 2005 03:46:08 -0000
    Received: from unknown (unknown [192.168.9.180])
    by webmail-outgoing.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix) with QMQP id 8A6601800127
    for <<my ebay email address, not my paypal one>>; Tue, 30 Aug 2005 03:46:05 +0000 (GMT)
    X-OB-Received: from unknown (205.158.62.182)
    by wfilter.us4.outblaze.com; 30 Aug 2005 03:46:05 -0000
    Received: by ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com (Postfix, from userid 1001)
    id 7EB001CE303; Tue, 30 Aug 2005 03:46:05 +0000 (GMT)
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_
    =_1125373565126201"
    From: "Paypal customercare" <customercarepaypalonline@mail.com>
    To: <my ebay email address, not my paypal one>
    Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:46:05 -0500
    Subject: **PAYMENT CONFIRMATION ORDER**
    Received: from [212.199.108.12] by ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com with http for
    customercarepaypalonline@mail.com; Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:46:05 -0500
    X-Originating-Ip: 212.199.108.12
    X-Originating-Server: ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com
    Message-Id: <20050830034605.7EB001CE303@ws1-6.us4.outblaze.com>

Paypal Authority is using this opportunity to tell you that a transaction of EUR 237.50 will be credited into your paypal account which is (<my ebay email address, not my paypal one>). Your money will be transfered into your account with us immediately you ship the item to the buyer's shipping address provided below :

The buyers shipping address has been confirmed by paypal authority.

Olayinka Kosile.
    36b anfani layout,
    Ibadan.
    Oyo state.
    Nigeria.
    Tel:{234-8053053109}

BUYER'S SHIPPING OPTIONS :

SWIFTPOST

YOU CAN USE ANY OF THIS COURIER COMPANY'S FOR THE SHIPMENT.

===================================================================================

***ATTENTION***
    The order has been APPROVED, you CAN NOW ship the merchandise to the buyer's shipping address. You are expected to make the shipment with 24hours AFTER recieving this Payment Approval Notification and get back to our Costumer/Technical Dept. with the tracking number for Shippment Verification if not the payment will not be credited into your acccount.

The tracking number will be used to confirm and verify shipment and within minutes of the item being shipped to the buyer's shipping address provided, your payment will be transfered successfully into your account.The tracking number should be mailed to our customercare centre.Feel free to contact our customer care centre @(customercarepaypalonline@mail.com)

Thank you for using PAYPAL® We look forward serving your online auction payment better in future.

Thank you for using paypal®
    The PayPal Team.

About | Account Types | Fees | Privacy | SecurityCenter

PayPal AUTHORITY

--

... did they really think I'd fall for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Heh... Fairly crude scam email there...

You would wonder what their success rate is like...

It pays to be paranoid...

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

In all fairness, if you're stupid enough to fall for that email and send the item without actually logging into your paypal account and checking the balance then you deserve to be scammed! I mean come on, even look at the email address @mail.com !!!!!

heh.
    I suppose 1% of sellers must fall for the scam to make things worthwhile for them.

Just a couple of points for people who may not know whats going on here:

the email address: customercarepaypalonline@mail.com
    This is a free email address set up to appear as if it originated from paypal. try going to www.mail.com to see what I mean. Any e-mail from paypal will come from XXX@paypal.com
    "Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup&quot;

The buyer, (pretending to be paypal) contacted him through his ebay email address, rather than his paypal email address. This was a big mistake by the scammer, and a foolish one at that. It would have been easily avoidable, yet they did not think to do it. This shows a level of incompetence, perhaps even automation on their behalf.

Also, the fact that he changed his address at the last minute was 'dodgy'
    Sounds like the scammer was doing several of these at the same time and used random addresses to set up the transactions. Then at the last minute, changed address to a 'hot' one. ie- one known to ebay to be a scammers delivery address. You will notice that they only contacted you through email with delivery address change info: ie- they didnt tell ebay that they changed address.

Also, any imperfection in spelling or grammar that you recieve in an official email from ebay or paypal is a major red flag as well. There are several grammatical oddities in the correspondance which cause me to raise an eyebrow. :)
    Also, the sentance structure needs work. Its apparent that it was written by someone with ESL, rather than paypal staff.

The reason I point this out (perhaps it was obvious to you) is to highlight some ways to spot a scammer.

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Just a couple of points for people who may not know whats going on here:

The reason I point this out (perhaps it was obvious to you) is to highlight some ways to spot a scammer.

Thanks FL. To me, all of the above was laughably obvious, but your listing of the points to note is very helpful to anyone who mightn't be as familiar with the format and content of official PayPal emails; and indeed to those for whom English is not a first language either, since the spelling, grammatical and punctuational errors might not be as apparent.

Actually, I think this might serve as a bit of an example of
    a) what to look out for
    b) How to avoid being conned (like you did, kudos)
    c) and what to do afterwards.

So, I'm stickying this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

bs217, why don't you send a mail to the buyer stating that the item has been sent and make up a tracking number. If they reply then keep them going for a while, have a bit of fun with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Just to point out another major flaw (however obvoius) is that the email says that the payment has been "APPROVED" and shall be credited to the sellers account as soon as the tracking number for shipment has been emailed to the customer. (It mentions it several times too). Paypal don't work like this!
    I think these scammers are hoping to target people who have never used paypal before, or have little grasp of email or internet, which can happen i suppose. Thanks for showing it bs217. Are you gonna try to anti-scam?

masterK wrote:
    bs217, why don't you send a mail to the buyer stating that the item has been sent and make up a tracking number. If they reply then keep them going for a while, have a bit of fun with them.

Ahem... see post #11.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i suggest you call it a 419'er for everybodies sake

i suggest you call it a 419'er for everybodies sake

For those who don't know:
    The Nigerian Scam Defined
    A Five Billion US$ (as of 1996, much more now) worldwide Scam which has run since the early 1980's under Successive Governments of Nigeria. It is also referred to as "Advance Fee Fraud", "419 Fraud" (Four-One-Nine) after the relevant section of the Criminal Code of Nigeria, and "The Nigerian Connection" (mostly in Europe). However, it is usually called plain old "419" even by the Nigerians themselves.

THE FIVE RULES FOR DOING BUSINESS WITH NIGERIA
    Courtesy of The 419 Coalition

1. NEVER pay anything up front for ANY reason.
    2. NEVER extend credit for ANY reason.
    3. NEVER do ANYTHING until their check clears.
    4. NEVER expect ANY help from the Nigerian Government.
    5. NEVER rely on YOUR Government to bail you out.

I wouldn't advise you to do an anti-scam.
    It's over now, best to forget about it and learn from the experience.
    Its almost certainly against ebays acceptable usage policy ;)
    You don't want the scammer(who knows your email/ebay account) to go spamming all your items with fake bids in retaliation.
    i suggest you call it a 419'er for everbodies sake
    Why? This is one of the common Nigerian scams, and calling it a 419'er (the nigerian criminal code for fraud) is just clouding it. Most people can identify with the term 'nigerian scam'. However, I see your point and I will change the title.

Here is an example of a genuine PayPal "Notification of Instant Payment" email message.

To be honest I am not quite sure if this is a good idea, since besides serving as a reference for spotting spoof emails, it could be used as an example for scammers to model their spoof emails upon.

FuzzyLogic, what do you think?

Here's the header info:
    Return-Path: <payment@paypal.com>
    Received: (qmail 21411 invoked by uid 503); 28 Jul 2005 13:47:55 -0000
    Delivered-To: <my domain>-<my email>
    Received: (qmail 4611 invoked by uid 503); 28 Jul 2005 13:47:55 -0000
    Delivered-To: <my-domain>-<my-paypal-email>
    Received: (qmail 25633 invoked by uid 503); 28 Jul 2005 13:47:50 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO outbound2.den.paypal.com) (216.113.188.112)
    by <my mailserver> with SMTP; 28 Jul 2005 13:47:50 -0000
    Received: from denweb99.den.paypal.com (denweb99.den.paypal.com [10.191.12.147])
    by outbound2.den.paypal.com (Postfix) with SMTP id D2EF835C047
    for <<my-paypal-email>>; Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
    Received: (qmail 22593 invoked by uid 99); 28 Jul 2005 13:48:03 -0000
    Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:48:03 -0700
    Message-Id: <xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxx@paypal.com>
    Subject: Item #xxxxxxxxxx - Notification of an Instant Payment Received from
    <buyer> (<buyer-email>)
    X-MaxCode-Template: email-auction-payment-notification
    To: <My Name> <<my-paypal-email>>
    X-Email-Type-Id: PP753
    X-XPT-XSL-Name: /en_US/auction/AuctionPaymentNotification.xsl
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary=--NextPart_048F8BC8A2197DE2036A

paypal-instantpayment-rx.gif

bs217: Scammers obviously have seen real confirmation emails before, how else would they know what process to go by and what format to create the email in?

The point is that if your paypal email doesn't look like this, you should contact paypal directly (through the links on www.paypal.com) and ask them.

*We've covered most of the basics here, and theres little chance of you getting scammed on paypal if you've read and understand this thread. Any questions? Fire away, It might serve as a FAQ-type stickie

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    bs217: Scammers obviously have seen real confirmation emails before, how else would they know what process to go by and what format to create the email in?

Well to be honest, I would have thought that if they had seen a genuine one, their copies would be far more convincing. There appears to be a high level of skill involved in at least some of the 419 scams, with highly realistic forgeries of bank drafts being cleared by UK & US banks only to be spotted as fakes when they return to their original issuing bank.

Of course, there's every possibility that they're just not very bright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coreilly1

Well they just must trust everyone.I was selling a guitar at 500Euro and got a cheque(an obvious and bad fraud) in the post for 3,500Euro after he asked me to put the balance into his buddies account in Ireland via Western Union.Obviously once the money had gone through my bank account I would be left to foot the bill after BOI copped it was a fraud.Still have the cheque up on my notice board as a fond memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SeanJ

Hello!

My name is Sean Jellema and I am the Chief Operating Officer for Reyox Communications, LLC. While doing one of our routine searches on the internet for keywords that relate to our business (this search being "smashservers") I discovered this thread.

I am the former Chief Security Analyst for Reyox and have an enormous background in network security. If you would please contact me directly ( sean.jellema@reyox.com ) with any abuse complaints I would be happy to investigate this spam/fraud complaint.

For those of you that may not know, Reyox Communications is a webhosting company. This email that was generated was routed through our mail server but was not Reyox's responsibility. This was generated by a customer.

You may also contact abuse@reyox.com or create a ticket in our ticketing system.

All the Best,

Sean Jellema
    REYOX COMMUNICATIONS
    Chief Operating Officer
    sean.jellema@reyox.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sharkbite

A few mates of mine have come up with a novel way to stop these scammers. Once any of us get an email, telling us to post something we are flogging in order to send the scammer a tracking number, what we do is, we get some dog poo, seal it in a polythene bag, put it in a box then whip it smartly down to the post office.

Once we've got the tracking number, we send it off and wait for the email to arrive which usually starts.. "you f****** b******, we do not pay you now. You not a nice person to trade on Ebay..." and so it goes on.

We already know we didn't have a snowballs chance of getting paid, so why not have some fun at their expense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭livewire99

It is very hard to be scammed when you are a seller on Ebay.

If someones says they will pay you through PayPal don't rely on email confirmation that the money have arrived, check you account, login etc. Scammers haven't hacked Paypal yet so you will know if the money is there or not.

If the seller is sending a cheque tell them you will have to wait at least a week for the cheque to clear before sending the item, if they are not happy with this tell them to take a hike..

However being a buyer is very easy to get scammed so you just have to be careful and hope you are not one of the unlucky ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SBob

Feck i can see how people might fall for that though, maybe first time users or something.. Crappy thing to do.
    I was looking for an mp3 player a few weeks ago and came across a few ipods going for really cheap prices on ebay (ya - too good to be true)
    anyway the sellers all had 100% feedback but wouldn't accept paypal, which i reckoned was the reason the bids were low. I couldn't help myself i bid successfully on a nano ipod getting it for around 120 dollars. the seller then sent me an invoice no less then 10 times in one day, which was obviously weird, the the next day i got a message from another member saying he was a friend of the seller except the sellers account had been compromised and someone else was using it, so i emailled ebay.

I decided to wait until i heard from them, but they didn't get back for another 4 days, by which i was getting all sorts of emails from the 'seller'.

Anyway luckily i hadnt sent payment because ebay said they had closed the account. The thing is they were ages getting back to me, if i hadn't got the email from the other member i might have sent payment.

Anyway i have noticed a trend with these fraudulant sellers: they all seem to use accounts registered in germany, but item location is china and do not accept paypal.
    There are absolutly loads of items over the last few weeks matching this description, make sure you stay away from them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

There's a new version of the eBay phishing scam doing the rounds. You get a message saying that a buyer is asking you a question. Of course you need to "log in" to view the message and the phishers collect your info. Just thought I'd mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

bs217 wrote:
    Here's an email I received from a winning bidder on eBay, along with a message I wrote to eBay customer care shortly afterwards.

As I said below, it could be a legitimate transaction, but I have yet to hear from the buyer since I sent the invoice this morning.

I have removed personal details <denoted by angled brackets> as a precautionary measure.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

thanks.

Email header and body:
    Return-Path: <****@*********.***>
    Received: (qmail 2397 invoked by uid 503); 29 Aug 2005 01:56:37 -0000
    Received: (qmail 32624 invoked by uid 503); 29 Aug 2005 01:56:36 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO ********************) (216.1*6.1**.44)
    by <my mail server> with (EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA encrypted) SMTP; 29 Aug 2005 01:56:36 -0000
    Received: from nobody by ***************.net with local (Exim 4.52)
    id 1E9Yt2-0001do-G5
    for <my email address removed>; Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:36 -0400
    To: <my email address removed>
    Subject: Re: Zoom PS-02 Palmtop Studio PS02 plus accessories, NR! (7345181297)
    Received: from [212.1**.1**.12] by cosmail.com via HTTP; Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:36 EDT by SocketMail for <<my email address removed>>
    Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:56:36 EDT
    From: "<buyer name removed>" <<buyer email username removed>@cosmail.com>
    Reply-To: "<buyer name removed>" <<buyer email username removed>@cosmail.com>
    Message-ID: <20050828174.1743571125280596@cosmail.com>
    References: <1164669187.1125279475602.JavaMail.ebayapp@sj-v3eoa21>
    X-Mailer: SocketMail Engine version 2.2.3
    X-Remote_Addr: 212.199.108.12
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
    Sender: Nobody <********@**************.net>
    X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
    X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - ***********.net
    X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - <my email server domain>
    X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 32003] / [47 12]
    X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - ******************.net
    X-Source:
    X-Source-Args: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
    X-Source-Dir: cosmail.com:/public_html/home

Hello Seller,
    It's my pleasure winning your auction, how are you today? hope nice i think. I will be paying you via my paypal account, send me your paypal email address, Palmtop cost and the shipping cost to my husband address below in Nigeria:
    Below is the receiver information,

NAME: <name removed>
    ADDRESS: <removed>,
    CITY: IBADAN
    ZIP CODE: 234-02

I want you send this Palmtop to him via Royal Mail postal service or by EMS express mail.
    Pls do get back to me today so i can make the payment once.
    Best Regards,

<buyer name removed>

----
    After sending an invoice to the buyer I then sent the following email to eBay customer care:
    ----

Customer concern: Hello,

An auction of mine closed earlier today and I have a concern about the winning bidder. I am concerned that it could be a scam.

My suspicions about the winning bidder (<ebay username>) were aroused for the following reasons:

1. The auction listing contained the following explicit instructions:
    "If you have zero or negative feedback please contact me before bidding."
    The winning bidder has zero feedback, and did not contact me before bidding.

2. The winning bidder registered as an eBay member on the same day that the auction closed.

3. The winning bidder asked for the item to be sent to Nigeria. Although there are undoubtedly many trustworthy Nigerian eBay users, I am conscious of the disproportionately high number of fraudulent scams of Nigerian origin, relative to other countries.

At this point, I have sent an invoice to the winning bidder asking for payment to be made to my paypal address, <address removed>. Although there is nothing overtly out of order so far I wanted to register my concerns with eBay staff in the event that this does turn out to be a fraudulent transaction. I am particularly worried that I may end up receiving a negative feedback comment from this user if this happens, since I have been trying to keep a 100% record.

Of course there is every possbility that the winning bidder will be geniune, but again I must stress that am writing to alert you to my concerns.

any thoughts?
    these emails are very generic... It is always the same bad language etc, i used to work in fraud in eBay and you'd be surprised by the amount of people falling for this..

But as already said, it's very hard to be scammed on eBay, just make sure you know what you're doing and all will be grand:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fraud Chaser

Although some of you may not have encountered this one before, we URL="http://www.fraudaid.com"]www.fraudaid.com[/URL run into it all the time.

First off, as most of you guessed, nothing in the email is true. There's also no telling how many eBay accounts the scam group may own under different names. They open and close them on a daily and weekly basis. The one who sent the posted email belongs to just one of the many fraud rings that haunt eBay. Yes, you can think of lions circling the herd as the image is quite accurate.

Had you not been on the ball and had followed through, this the most common scenario you would have encountered, which involves money laundering:

Overpayment Scam: You would receive counterfeit/forged/stolen money orders, checks, or Traveller's Checks. Actually, pick any type of draft and it's being used by this type of scammer, including US Treasury Checks. The money received would exceed the cost of the item (Overpayment), and you would be instructed to wire the overpayment by Western Union or MoneyGram either back to the alleged purchaser, or on to a shipper or other 3rd party.

Payment Processing Scam: For those of you who are eBay buyers, the scammmer acts the part of the seller. There is no product, the eBay ad is a picture out of a magazine or pirated from another web site.

When you buy the product, you are instructed by the alleged seller to send your money to someone in the same country as yours or just across the border. Ex: Canada/US, England/Scotland, France/Germany. You get the idea.

The person to whom you are sending the money is another scam victim, one who believes he or she has been hired by a foreign company (what we call a "scamployer") to process payments for the company's clients residing in the same country as the "hired" victim.

They are to accept payments from the clients, retain a percentage commission, and wire the balance by Western Union or MoneyGram to various other employees of the foreign company. This is a Work-at-Home Scam, and many people are vulnerable to it. You can read about it HERE, and access the database of emails and tracking reports HERE.

So you both end up being victims of a Payment Processing Scam, which is an extremely well-organized and successful international money laundering scheme run by many fraud rings located in the Former Soviet Union countries, Western Europe, West Africa, South Africa, and Canada. It appears that criminals in Asia are picking up on the scheme as well, and are probably shaking hands with the existing fraud rings.

We hold with eBay's recommendation: if you are sending off more money for a product than you can afford to lose, or if you are shipping off product for money you really need badly, use www.escrow.com.

Do not allow anyone to suggest an alternate escrow company. If you are using your own local bonded and licensed escrow service, be careful to independently verify their licensing, bonding, AND reputation. Never ask the fox if he is going to rob the henhouse.

If you are dealing with a legitimate buyer/seller, they will agree to the terms. If you are dealing with a criminal, they will either scream bloody murder or disappear.

Annie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A friend of mine got a fancy email from "ebay" that was a please login here to confirm your changes (or some such nonsense) mail

That page it linked to was obviously not hosted on ebay, however the clever little feckers had created a floating image/div that was positioned over the address bar (in IE) and contained some https://confirmchanges.ebay.com address

If we hadnt noticed it load slower than the main site it would have been quite clever (and it we were the type of person to believe everything you read)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement