Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allen Carr - Easyway

Options
  • 15-08-2005 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Im thinking of parting with €270 to do this course to stop smoking. Has anyone attended one before and if so, how did it go for you? I have 2 friend who said it was great and one who still smokes so natrually shes sore to have parted with the money.
    What other methods have ye all used if not this one?
    Thanks.

Ps_ I dont know if this is the right place for this thread bit I thought there would be more traffic here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭KM

Buy his book for about a tenner!!!

Wife and several others gave up smoking from reading it!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Money can't buy you willpower. You might be harder on yourself if you reckon you'll hate yourself for throwing 270 euros away, but then again (if you actually want to stop smoking) you're throwing a fiver a day away so it's all much of a muchness.
    Do you really need to pay someone to tell you that you want to stop smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Do you really need to pay someone to tell you that you want to stop smoking?

3 guesses says Pickarooney doesn't smoke?!
    I already know what you said. Have you been to an Allen Carr seminar and do you have feedback or are you just going to be condescending? If its the latter, I dint need it thanks. I don't mean to be rude but its feedback I'm looking for not adages I already know.

But if you already know it why do you think you need to hear it from someone at €270 instead of for free? There's no surgery invoved that will remove your ability to smoke, it will still always be your choice whether you do or not. Sorry if that's condescening, but I just can't comprehend the notion behind getting someone else to make you stop smoking.
    Englighten me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I'd try the book first. It worked for me (second time around). I haven't smoked in at least 5 years.

Re the €270 course, isn't there a money back guarantee if you start smoking again within a certain time?

Whatever you do, you do need to be determined to quit. That's not the same as having enormous will-power. You just need to really want to quit. Half-hearted attempts are doomed to failure. All the 'cures' are really just 'helpers'.

If you're going to pay for the course, wait until you're sure you want to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Hey Bling,
    I gave up about three weeks ago, I have given up countless times before. This time feels a bit different. I started to cut down about two months ago, and siad I would get really healthy and cut down on my spending on Drink/smokes/etc and put the money away for holidays. I started with diet & gym and worked my way to booze (not that Ive cut it out, just calmed it down) and eventually to cigarettes. The healthier I got the less I wanted them and now that im down to none the only bad times I have are just before bed but I find having something to drink like a milkshake or smoothie or something helps, & do something distracting. Little things help, put the money you spend on smokes into a jar and at the end of the week/month buy yourself something with it. Have something to do with your hands all the time and whenever you really want one think of the good things that are happening to you from giving up (waking up easier, healthier skin, your overall health etc). You dont have to do this for the rest of your life, but following a healthy plan and keeping yourself busy is the best way to do it. Sitting in front of the tv in a bitch of a mood eating wont make you feel better or help you give up, think of it as a bad break up.

I wont lie this will be one of the hardest things you ever have to do, but the feeling when you are off them for a while is great. (I say this because I gave up for a year before, I went back on them when the smoking ban came in) Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭andy1249

Try the book , it worked for me , havn't smoked now for three months , dont miss it , actually feel sorry for people who still smoke !! ( Me !! ) and wont ever smoke again and know I wont which is a great feeling.
    And it all came from the book , Everyone I know gave up by reading that book , and everyone I know used to smoke , I was the last one to quit , on the first attempt at reading the book I stopped half way through cos I knew it would work , how twisted is that , anyway , finally finished it and alls well now , try the book first , if that doesn't work for you there is no point giving 270 euro away as its the same stuff !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Thanks for that. Im going to buy the book today.

Pickarooney...Ill wait till im off the fags for a few days and feeling narky then ill come back for a squabble!!

Joejoem...good stuff and well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Another vote for the book here !

Tried quitting many times before reading it, off them now since new years eve :)
    One bit of advice, prepare to feel like crap for a couple of weeks after quitting, after that its all downhill !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks for that. Im going to buy the book today.

Pickarooney...Ill wait till im off the fags for a few days and feeling narky then ill come back for a squabble!!

Joejoem...good stuff and well done.

Fair enough :D Just please don't do what my missus did and read the book, become enlightened, start evangelising the book and buying it for people who don't even want to give up.... then use the cover for making filters six months down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I did Allen Carr course. it worked.

Some time later I relapsed.

Took a Zyban course. that worked better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i tried the Allen Carr book before but only lasted a week :mad: maybe this was due to sitting in a pub at lunch time. its time to read it again. they are too expensive and it is a disgusting habit

Advertisement